INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Properly Tagging Compilations  (Read 1148 times)

JackHughs

• Recent member
Properly Tagging Compilations
« on: April 25, 2009, 12:27:39 pm »

I'm still working my way through the functions offered by MC - and I'm stuck on a Tagging issue.

The other day, I ripped a classical music cd that is a compilation of the works of several composers.  Now, under Audio > Albums, I have a bunch of instances of the same album.  Each of these "albums" contains only the music of one composer.

How can I create a "multiple artists" album to eliminate the current duplicate entries?

JackHughs

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Properly Tagging Compilations
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 02:53:19 pm »

If all of the files are in the same folder, and the tracks are all sequential, and they all have the same Album tag, then MC should automatically tag them as a Multiple Artists album. The trick is to not use the [Artist] tag in your view schemes and instead use [Album Artist (auto)]. On a single artist album, [Album Artist (auto)] will have the same value as that artist. On a multiple artists album, the [Album Artist (auto)] tag will say "(Multiple Artists)". If you want it to say something else, then edit the [Album Artist] tag for those files and then [Album Artist (auto)] will have that value instead.

There's a more detailed example in the wiki if you're still confused. I admit it's not the most intuitive solution in the world, but once you get the hang of it, it's really simple and works really well.

JackHughs

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 06:57:26 pm »

Doof,

Thanks.

I had to manually re-assemble all the files into one folder.  Initially, folders were created for each artist and a subfolder was created within each of those folders with the name of the album.

All the files now correctly display in a "multiple artist" album.

JackHughs   

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 08:09:12 am »

Yeah, that's the other step you'll want to do. You'll want to go into Options and change your File Location rules to use (for instance) [Album Artist (auto)]\[Album] and use that anytime you use MC's Rename tool. That way it'll automatically create a (Multiple Artists) folder for those albums.
Pages: [1]   Go Up