INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Type  (Read 2158 times)

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
Media Type
« on: April 27, 2009, 09:38:04 pm »

Is there a place to set which file types are categorized as audio, video, etc. for the Media Type? MC13 lists my AVI files as audio instead of video and it's messing up my audio view schemes.
Sue

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Type
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:46:37 am »

It's a tag field called "Media Type".  You may have to add it to your view (in tag options).

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 07:22:03 am »

Or, select the files and click "Tag" in Action Window.  A Tag window opens.  Click the top-left button on Tag window and select "Show All Tags".
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

raldo

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:29:58 am »

To me, it looks like Mesue is asking: "how can I avoid .avi from being tagged as audio media type" *by default* when imported. I.e. newly imported .avi files end up as audio without user interaction..

I've searched for such a setting myself. In particular, I'd like my image files (.iso, .img, .nrg) to be imported as video media type by default...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 07:54:22 am »

AVI is a container format, so it can include audio or video.

You need to know what format is inside the container.  It's possible that you don't have DirectShow filters that can play the file, and in this case, I believe MC will tag it as "data".

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 08:20:47 am »

Raldo got it right. As it turned out, it was only a handful of AVIs which were being categorized as Audio. As it further turned out---Media Center started crashing after importing my videos, so I removed them and it's no longer crashing. I only added them to see if the UPnP server would allow me to view videos on my DirecTV DVR, and it doesn't so there is no point having them in MC (for me).
Sue

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:34:29 am »

The crash may be a bad DirectShow filter.  If you can get a log, please e-mail it to matt at jriver and include a link to this thread.

pank2002

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 10:11:38 am »

On the same line: Why can MC not recognize avi files on a NAS?
If I import a given AVI file on my computer everything will be set up correctly by MC ("cover art", media type etc.) but if I load the same file from a network drive it will show up as a data file. Even if I change media type to video no image will be generated. If I import the file locally and move it to the network drive  there is no problem.

Thanks,
Rasmus
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk
Pages: [1]   Go Up