INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iPod Touch) [v6.0.2]  (Read 459701 times)

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iTouch)
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2009, 02:33:35 am »

Steps to reproduce the error.....

1) sync libraries successful.
2) change rating of one song in MC from 0 to 3 stars.
This change causes the song to no longer be included in MC's smartlist.
Because of this, MC removes the mp3 file from the folder that iTunes looks at.
3) Run your sync utility.   Options for import files to itunes and fix broken links are checked.
4) previously the utility would remove the song properly from itunes db.  This time the song remains there with the ! icon indicating a missing file.
5) Utility gets the HRESULT error message.

If I uncheck the 'fix broken links' setting, then the sync completes (other than leaving orphans in itunes db).
Check that checkbox and sync again, and get another HRESULT error.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2009, 02:40:41 am »

Yep got it .... was trying to log details of a track that had been deleted. :(

v3.4.1 fixes it, it's up now.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2009, 11:55:21 am »

Yep got it .... was trying to log details of a track that had been deleted. :(

v3.4.1 fixes it, it's up now.

fixed confirmed.  back to running smoothly now.

question:  in the options, the setting for refresh podcasts.... I assume that means on the itunes side, correct?

question:  do you expect podcast management to happen in itunes or in MC?
If podcasts exist in MC, does your util put them in itunes so that they show up on iphone as a podcast?

broncodan

• World Citizen
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2009, 04:03:42 pm »

Question - when transferring playlists does it take a long time?  MC Sync - is still running - it indicates - "Searching For Playlists\Albums\playlist 1".  Playlist 1 is the last playlist in the folder. 

When I look at itunes - I can see all the playlists listed under MC Playlists (including playlist 1)
When I look at MCSync - The stop button is still present (it doesn't indicate that the program has stopped)
When I look in the task manager - MCSYnc, Itunes, nor MC are using any CPU??

Just wondering if something is going on in the background and the program is still working or if it has frozen?  I know that it takes quite some time for itunes to load a playlist in so I am guessing this is a similar situation?

I have to leave overnight so I guess I will leave it alone but it does seem to be taking quite some time.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2009, 04:18:05 pm »

Mine runs in less than 10 minutes for a library of ~55000.
There was one point where I noticed the progress info wasn't changing.
It eventually started counting again and finished successfully.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2009, 06:34:22 am »

I have changed my workflow a bit in order to test this plugin; syncing my iphone through windows inside bootcamp (Sounds worse than it is!). Excellent work on this plugin. Until Apple open up the iphone we all have to live with itunes to some degree. This plugin at least means that we can minimize the amount of time that itunes needs to be open in order to sync our phones.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2009, 07:02:16 am »

One thing though, it looks like it is analyzing my whole library including the photos and videos. Is there any way we could put a filter on it to choose just audio?

lOth

« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2009, 07:04:14 am »

I have the most recent build (3.4.1) and since a couple builds back I keep getting this error:

Code: [Select]
<Result EndDateTime="2009-06-24T07:22:23">An item with the same key has already been added.</Result>
I think it happens right after one of my MC playlists is synchronized to iTunes. What I'm sure of is that the error happens before at least one of my playlists can be synchronized.

I've tried running the sync with the "Use alternative file keys" option checked, no success.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2009, 02:53:32 pm »

OK bear with me, I've just had my wisdom teeth out and I'm pumped up on painkillers...

question:  in the options, the setting for refresh podcasts.... I assume that means on the itunes side, correct?

Yes correct.

question:  do you expect podcast management to happen in itunes or in MC?
If podcasts exist in MC, does your util put them in itunes so that they show up on iphone as a podcast?

In iTunes I'm afraid. I tried to do this but it looks like it's not possible. I do intend to revisit it though.

Question - when transferring playlists does it take a long time?  MC Sync - is still running - it indicates - "Searching For Playlists\Albums\playlist 1".  Playlist 1 is the last playlist in the folder. 

When I look at itunes - I can see all the playlists listed under MC Playlists (including playlist 1)
When I look at MCSync - The stop button is still present (it doesn't indicate that the program has stopped)
When I look in the task manager - MCSYnc, Itunes, nor MC are using any CPU??

Just wondering if something is going on in the background and the program is still working or if it has frozen?  I know that it takes quite some time for itunes to load a playlist in so I am guessing this is a similar situation?

I have to leave overnight so I guess I will leave it alone but it does seem to be taking quite some time.

Shouldn't take that long but it sounds like it's waiting for iTunes. Like zxsix, sometimes I've noticed that processing stops for 20 seconds or so while iTunes does "something", but it shouldn't go on for long.

Excellent work on this plugin.

Thanks park...

One thing though, it looks like it is analyzing my whole library including the photos and videos. Is there any way we could put a filter on it to choose just audio?

In the settings dialog there's a check & text box that specifies which file types to sync; Only sync file types. With this checked, it'll skip any files in MC that aren't of a file type in this semi-colon delimited list. Obviously it still has to go through each file though to find out which to skip and which to cache.

I have the most recent build (3.4.1) and since a couple builds back I keep getting this error:

<Result EndDateTime="2009-06-24T07:22:23">An item with the same key has already been added.</Result>
I think it happens right after one of my MC playlists is synchronized to iTunes. What I'm sure of is that the error happens before at least one of my playlists can be synchronized.

I've tried running the sync with the "Use alternative file keys" option checked, no success.

I thought I had these caught to give a more meaningful message. You might have a duplicate key in your iTunesFileKey field somewhere if you're using Use Alternative File Keys. I'll have a look when I'm feeling a little better.

Cheers guys.

broncodan

• World Citizen
« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2009, 05:10:51 pm »

Well - I got home today and it was still stuck at the same message as when I left.  I clicked the stop button and nothing happened so I closed it down. I used version 3.4.1 - I had deleted the MCSync columns from my MC library prior to starting so this was a clean run.

Here are parts from the log:

options:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<MCiS Version="3.4.1.0" StartDateTime="2009-06-23T12:08:10" Options="ffc0280000c3e000" ImportFileTypes="mp3;wav;m4a" iTunesPlaylistFolder="MC Playlists" ExportPlaylist0="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\" ExportPlaylist1="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\AM Gold Collection" ExportPlaylist2="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Blues Masters Collection" ExportPlaylist3="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\CDX Albums" ExportPlaylist4="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Chillout Albums" ExportPlaylist5="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Funk Essentials Collection" ExportPlaylist6="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Ken Burns Jazz Collection" ExportPlaylist7="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Motown Collection" ExportPlaylist8="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\New Wave Hits Of The 80's Collection" ExportPlaylist9="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Old School Rap Collection" ExportPlaylist10="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Rock Of The 80's Collection" ExportPlaylist11="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Soul Collection" ExportPlaylist12="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Sounds Of The 70's Collection" ExportPlaylist13="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Star Lounge Collection" ExportPlaylist14="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\The Philly Sound" ExportPlaylist15="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\The Rolling Stone Collection 1967 - 1992" ExportPlaylist16="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\The String Quartet Collection" ExportPlaylist17="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Tour Of Duty Collection" ExportPlaylist18="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Ultimate 70's Collection" ExportPlaylist19="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Ultra Lounge Collection" ExportPlaylist20="Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Wax Trax Collection">

It also did a bunch of strange things by adding playcount and skip counts to songs that didn't have any changes!!!

<Track Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\Lyle Lovett\Lyle Lovett - The Road To Ensenada\02 - Her First Mistake.mp3">
    <SkipCount ChangedIn="MC" OldValue="1" NewValue="2" />
    <SkipCount ChangedIn="iTunes" OldValue="1" NewValue="2" />
  </Track>

<Track Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\Loverboy\Loverboy - Loverboy Classics - Their Greatest Hits\01 - Turn Me Loose.mp3">
    <AlbumRating ChangedIn="MC" OldValue="80" NewValue="60" />
    <PlayCount ChangedIn="MC" OldValue="3" NewValue="6" />
    <PlayCount ChangedIn="iTunes" OldValue="3" NewValue="6" />
    <SkipCount ChangedIn="MC" OldValue="2" NewValue="4" />
    <SkipCount ChangedIn="iTunes" OldValue="2" NewValue="4" />

I had the option to add missing tracks to itunes and to clean deadlinks (and it did this for several songs) - it tried to import 13 - was successful on 6 of them:

<ImportToiTunes Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\VARIOUS ARTISTS\Mixed Pop - Rock CD's\Classic Live Performances\03 - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird (Live).mp3">Successful</ImportToiTunes>

For those 6 it then did the following:

<Track Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\VARIOUS ARTISTS\Mixed Pop - Rock CD's\Classic Live Performances\03 - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird (Live).mp3">
    <Rating ChangedIn="iTunes" OldValue="0" NewValue="20" />
    <AlbumRating ChangedIn="MC" OldValue="20" NewValue="40" />

Then:

<RemoveBrokenLink Artist="Lynyrd Skynyrd" Album="Classic Live Performances" Name="Free Bird">Successful</RemoveBrokenLink>

The above track is in both the MC and Itunes library

And finally the playlists/smartlists (these were actually all smartlists in MC):

<CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\AM Gold Collection" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Blues Masters Collection" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\CDX Albums" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Chillout Albums" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Funk Essentials Collection" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Ken Burns Jazz Collection" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Motown Collection" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\New Wave Hits Of The 80's Collection" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Old School Rap Collection" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Rock Of The 80's Collection" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Soul Collection" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Sounds Of The 70's Collection" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Star Lounge Collection" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\The Philly Sound" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\The Rolling Stone Collection 1967 - 1992" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\The String Quartet Collection" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Tour Of Duty Collection" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Ultimate 70's Collection" />
  <CreatedPlaylist Playlist="MC Playlists\Dan's Smartlists\Album Collection Smartlists\Ultra Lounge Colle

I can see the folder and the playlist in Itunes but when I click on the playlist in itunes it is completely blank.

sorry for the long post.  Hope this helps.

Wisdom teeth... Ouch - been there done that..... ICE and drugs!!! :)

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2009, 04:42:50 am »

Wisdom teeth... Ouch - been there done that..... ICE and drugs!!! :)

Yeah that was a painful couple of days! Paracetamol/tylenol seems to be doing the job now so no need to be spending my days in the clouds any more.

So, now I'm thinking straight, the reason you're getting the changes to your skipped and play counts is because you've reset the iTunesSkippedCountSync and iTunesPlayedCountSync fields. If you need to reset them so no changes will be made, set them to the current play and skip counts in MC. Or delete the columns and then reset all your play and skip counts in iTunes. These counts are combined, not merely exported.

I'll further illustrate. First time you sync you have the following conditions;

File1:
PlayCount in iTunes is 1
PlayCount in MC is 56
SkipCount in iTunes is 0
SkipCount in MC is 4
iTunesPlayedCountSync is -1
iTunesSkippedCountSync is -1

MCiS will set PlayCount in iTunes & MC to 57 (1+56), and skip count in iTunes & MC to 4 (0+4), so condition is now;

File1:
PlayCount in iTunes is 57
PlayCount in MC is 57
SkipCount in iTunes is 4
SkipCount in MC is 4
iTunesPlayedCountSync is 57
iTunesSkippedCountSync is 4

Then, say you played the file a couple of times on your iPhone, and played once skipped once in MC, so the conditions are now;

File1:
PlayCount in iTunes is 59
PlayCount in MC is 58
SkipCount in iTunes is 4
SkipCount in MC is 5
iTunesPlayedCountSync is 57
iTunesSkippedCountSync is 4

MCiS will set PlayCount in iTunes & MC to 60 (57 + (59-57) + (58-57)), and skip count in iTunes & MC to 5 (4 + (5-4) + (4-4)).

Then, you delete the sync columns that MCiS has created and populated

Next time you sync you have the following conditions;

File1:
PlayCount in iTunes is 60
PlayCount in MC is 60
SkipCount in iTunes is 5
SkipCount in MC is 5
iTunesPlayedCountSync is -1
iTunesSkippedCountSync is -1

MCiS will think a sync has never occurred and set the play count in MC & iTunes to 120 (60+60) and skip count to 10 (5+5). Setting those sync columns to zero would have the same effect.

Regarding your playlists, does this "hang" happen every time? If you leave the playlists as created in iTunes (but empty) and rerun the sync does it work OK?

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2009, 04:44:41 am »

This is because you have a playlist with the same track (and I mean exactly the same) in it more than once. I'll look at getting around this, or at least have it not cause an error.

lOth

« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2009, 07:07:39 am »

I'll look at getting around this, or at least have it not cause an error.

That would be nice because it's likely to happen again: I found the duplicate in my 'To Listen' playlist, and I'm pretty sure I will add again songs I forgot were already in there.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2009, 09:06:01 am »

v3.4.2;

• Fixed duplicate entries in playlists were causing an exception
  • Putting the exact text RebuildOnSync: Yes in the notes of your MC playlist will tell MCiS to rebuild that playlist in iTunes from scratch every sync, i.e. the playlist in iTunes will be cleared, then the tracks will be added.

The RebuildOnSync: Yes option is for when it is important the playlist be in the same sequence as the one in MC and changes are likely to be made to it in the future. On the initial sync of the playlist the playlist in iTunes will always be the same and have the same sequence as the playlist in MC, but if, for instance, a track was inserted at item 5 in a 10 track playlist in MC, the playlist in iTunes won't continue to have the same sequence - the track that is missing in the iTunes playlist would merely be added to the end. Using this option makes populating the playlist a little slower, but ensures the sequence is the same.

broncodan; I've put a failsafe in the code that manages playlists, it may sort out your infinite loop problem, or at least lead us closer to solving it.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2009, 05:52:47 pm »

Had successful sync with prior version.
Installed the latest build just now and ran it after adding the notes to my smartlists.  Wanted to try that out.

Here's the end of the logfile.  Unsuccessful sync resulted.

<DeleteFileFromPlaylist Playlist="BRIAN\Gothic (5 stars)" Filename="E:\Users\brian\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Gothic\Entwine\Dieversity\Refill My Soul.mp3" />
  <Result EndDateTime="2009-06-26T15:49:45">Value of '64' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'.
Parameter name: Value</Result>
</MCiS>

This is definitely related to the new RebuildOnSync: Yes feature.  When I removed that from my MC playlists, then it sync'd completely and successfully.
I then put it back on one of the smartlists, and the error returned.

lOth

« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2009, 06:47:02 pm »

works like a charm for me (not using the RebuildOnSync option though). Thanks!

I was kind of joking when I first asked you to implement the playlists sync feature, but you did, so I'm going to throw that other one out: truly awesome would be some sort of sync of playcounts and last played between MC, iTunes, and ... last.fm. I know this would a totally different area and I realize that it would be a one-way sync with last.fm, but one can dream (I believe last.fm probably has the most accurate record of my playcounts -although that is changing a bit now that scrobblers don't work on my jailbroken iPhone 3.0...). There's a program out there that does the sync between last.fm and itunes, but it's not very user friendly and in a few cases not very accurate.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2009, 04:47:10 am »

Had successful sync with prior version.
Installed the latest build just now and ran it after adding the notes to my smartlists.  Wanted to try that out.

Here's the end of the logfile.  Unsuccessful sync resulted.

<DeleteFileFromPlaylist Playlist="BRIAN\Gothic (5 stars)" Filename="E:\Users\brian\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Gothic\Entwine\Dieversity\Refill My Soul.mp3" />
  <Result EndDateTime="2009-06-26T15:49:45">Value of '64' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'.
</MCiS>

This is definitely related to the new RebuildOnSync: Yes feature.  When I removed that from my MC playlists, then it sync'd completely and successfully.
I then put it back on one of the smartlists, and the error returned.

Yeah it was a progress bar thing whilst clearing out the playlist.... fixed now in v3.4.3.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #167 on: June 27, 2009, 04:59:51 am »

works like a charm for me (not using the RebuildOnSync option though). Thanks!

I was kind of joking when I first asked you to implement the playlists sync feature, but you did, so I'm going to throw that other one out: truly awesome would be some sort of sync of playcounts and last played between MC, iTunes, and ... last.fm. I know this would a totally different area and I realize that it would be a one-way sync with last.fm, but one can dream (I believe last.fm probably has the most accurate record of my playcounts -although that is changing a bit now that scrobblers don't work on my jailbroken iPhone 3.0...). There's a program out there that does the sync between last.fm and itunes, but it's not very user friendly and in a few cases not very accurate.

It's a good idea - but I think the best implementation would be to have the MC last.fm plug-in automatically sync play stats to MC. MCiS would then automatically pick these up and sync up iTunes. Not sure who wrote this plug-in (was it JR?) but this function would seem well within its scope.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #168 on: June 27, 2009, 01:09:27 pm »

Yeah it was a progress bar thing whilst clearing out the playlist.... fixed now in v3.4.3.

fix confirmed

broncodan

• World Citizen
« Reply #169 on: June 27, 2009, 04:35:40 pm »

Hey Prod,

Success!!!  I finally got a good sync to go through to itunes.  I discovered that I had a ram unit that had gone bad, took that out and it helped significantly (imagine that!).

It looks like it updated correctly in itunes and MC and the playlists came across too.

Didn't try to add any new tunes or remove dead links but will try that next - as I have added some new stuff to my library.

Great Job!!!  Thanks for all your help.  Hope your jaw is feeling better - Margaritas also work to dull the pain...  :)

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2009, 11:22:23 am »

Excellent, glad you've sorted it. The jaw is getting much better each day thanks, looking forward to a t-bone and a few beers... for now though, the margaritas will get me through :)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2009, 11:47:53 am »

Hi Prod...

I've been out of town and did not keep up with this thread over the past couple of week. Looks like you created a very compelling application.

I have 3 iPods (2 classics and 1 Nano) and 2 3g iPhones. Because of the iPhones, I've been syncing using iTunes. Of course I continue to manage everything in MC. I don't really mind using iTunes to sync, because there are other things it does that I need anyway (iPhone Apps, etc.). But it's been a struggle to keep iTunes in sync with MC.

When I mange my library in MC (add to, rename files, etc.) iTunes is a problem. I've been adding to the iTunes library manually and using  iTSfv (had used iTLU before that) to clean up the dead tracks.

I've been manually maintaining some duplicate smartlists in iTunes (as smart playlists) and totally given up on maintaining any playcounts, data last played, etc.

So it looks like I can use your application to automate everything I do today plus things I've given up on. At the same time I can retire these other weird utilities.  ;D

Am I understanding this correctly?

EDIT: are the MC APIs you're using the same for MC13 & MC14? (e.g. your software should run the same regardless of the MC version?)

Randy

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2009, 01:27:24 pm »

I can answer this.
Using Prod's utility, you can get rid of iTSfv completetely.  You also won't need to run the import function in itunes to add anything to the itunes library anymore.
The utility works fine with both MC13 and MC14 versions.
I'm running it now with the latest MC14 build.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2009, 03:50:03 pm »

I can answer this.
Using Prod's utility, you can get rid of iTSfv completely.  You also won't need to run the import function in itunes to add anything to the itunes library anymore.
The utility works fine with both MC13 and MC14 versions.
I'm running it now with the latest MC14 build.

Great...

I'm tempted to start playing with it now, but I think I'll wait for the long holiday weekend coming up.

Randy

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2009, 06:14:14 am »

Great...

I'm tempted to start playing with it now, but I think I'll wait for the long holiday weekend coming up.

Randy

Hi Randy, from what you say you need it I think it'll be right up your street ... let me know if you have any problems/issues with it.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #175 on: June 29, 2009, 09:04:00 am »

Hi Randy, from what you say you need it I think it'll be right up your street ... let me know if you have any problems/issues with it.

Thanks Prod...

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #176 on: June 29, 2009, 10:13:10 am »

v3.4.5; Added support for multiple libraries via command line arguments:

• /LibraryIndex - Loads the MC library at the specified zero-based index (in MC's Library Manager)
  • /LibraryName - The name of the MC library specified in LibraryIndex
  • /LibraryPath - The path of the MC library specified in LibraryIndex

When using /LibraryIndex, either /LibraryName or /LibraryPath must be used along with it. If no library arguments are specified the currently loaded library is used.

Also;

• Fixed Using RebuildOnSync: Yes option on a playlist not previously sync'd caused an error

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2009, 10:13:10 am »

Randy, is you library made up of mp3 or flac files?
If flac, I should have a step-by-step document available very soon that would be helpful.

broncodan

• World Citizen
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2009, 10:24:24 am »

Got the following error message - running version 3.4.3:

<AddFileToPlaylist Playlist="Misc Playlists\Golf combo" Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\Scorpions\Scorpions - Crazy World\ (01)  Tease Me Please Me.mp3" />
  <AddFileToPlaylist Playlist="Misc Playlists\Golf combo" Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\Van Halen\Van Halen - Best Of Volume 1\ (12)  Poundcake.mp3" />
  <DeleteFileFromPlaylist Playlist="Misc Playlists\Golf combo" Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\Scorpions\Scorpions - Deadly Sting- The Mercury Years - Disc 2\ (07)  Tease Me Please Me.mp3" />
  <Result EndDateTime="2009-06-29T01:06:00">Value of '3' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'.
</MCiS>

Was running smoothly up to this point so I am not sure what happened.  It is weird that it was deleting a song from the playlist - as this is the first time this playlist was being imported.  This is a smart playlist - when I pulled it up in MC - the above song only appears once (from the Deadly Sting album).

Not sure what other info you need.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2009, 10:46:27 am »

Got the following error message - running version 3.4.3:

<AddFileToPlaylist Playlist="Misc Playlists\Golf combo" Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\Scorpions\Scorpions - Crazy World\ (01)  Tease Me Please Me.mp3" />
  <AddFileToPlaylist Playlist="Misc Playlists\Golf combo" Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\Van Halen\Van Halen - Best Of Volume 1\ (12)  Poundcake.mp3" />
  <DeleteFileFromPlaylist Playlist="Misc Playlists\Golf combo" Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\Scorpions\Scorpions - Deadly Sting- The Mercury Years - Disc 2\ (07)  Tease Me Please Me.mp3" />
  <Result EndDateTime="2009-06-29T01:06:00">Value of '3' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'.
</MCiS>

Was running smoothly up to this point so I am not sure what happened.  It is weird that it was deleting a song from the playlist - as this is the first time this playlist was being imported.  This is a smart playlist - when I pulled it up in MC - the above song only appears once (from the Deadly Sting album).

Not sure what other info you need.

Tiny addendum to v3.4.5 ;)

• Fixed Using RebuildOnSync: Yes option on a playlist not previously sync'd caused an error

Edit: Not completely sure this is what caused it... let me know if you get it again.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #180 on: June 29, 2009, 01:05:47 pm »

Edit: Not completely sure this is what caused it... let me know if you get it again.

Found another place where this could happen... fixed in v3.4.6.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #181 on: June 29, 2009, 09:01:20 pm »

Last few builds.  The .config file hasn't changed and shows an older modifed date.
I only pulled the .exe from the .zip file and overwrote the existing one.
Did not overwrite the .config file.
Start up the utility and find that all the boxes in the main screen and in the config window have been reset to unchecked.
Have to go through and save the settings again.
Not sure why it's getting wiped out with the old .config file still in the folder.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2009, 09:03:09 am »

Randy, is you library made up of mp3 or flac files?
If flac, I should have a step-by-step document available very soon that would be helpful.

All my music is 320kbs CBR mp3. Arguably not the best, but for me it makes up for it in portability. Thanks for the offer anyway, I'm sure there are others with flac files.

Randy

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #183 on: June 30, 2009, 09:11:04 am »

Preparing for the weekend...

Currently I have MC12, MC13, and MC14 installed. How does MCiS know what I want to synchronize and where the libraries are? Of course I should probably use this as an excuse to move from MC13 to MC14 and uninstall the other versions.

Randy

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2009, 09:25:49 am »

I always have MC14 and iTunes open when I start it.  It uses whatever MC library is open.
I did run it one time without MC open and it still grabbed the library, so I have to assume it's getting a "last used library" setting from MC.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #185 on: June 30, 2009, 10:49:32 am »

Currently I have MC12, MC13, and MC14 installed. How does MCiS know what I want to synchronize and where the libraries are? Of course I should probably use this as an excuse to move from MC13 to MC14 and uninstall the other versions.

It'll use the last installed MC, whichever registered itself last.

By default MCiS uses the last or currently loaded library ... if you want to specify the library, use the /LibraryIndex and /LibraryName or /LibraryPath arguments when you're loading MCiS.

As for what to sync, as long as Import File Types is OFF, nothing will be sync'd that isn't in your iTunes library. So if you have 10 tracks in there, it'll attempt to sync those 10 tracks. If Import File Types is ON, then it'll import the MC tracks to iTunes that it doesn't find in iTunes.

You'll see that MCiS iterates through every entry in your MC library (even if you only have 10 tracks in your iTunes library). This operation doesn't do any sync'ing but does cache the library into memory. The "Only sync files of type" checkbox controls what is cached and what is skipped. Anything not cached will not be sync'd.

Clear as mud  ::)

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #186 on: June 30, 2009, 11:40:05 am »

v3.5;

• Added option Rebuild playlists from scratch. When selected this will clear all playlists before populating, unless the Notes (in MC) of the playlist contain the exact phrase RebuildOnSync: No
  • UI change - wanted more playlists shown on-screen
  • Major configuration file changes, configuration file no longer included in zip. I'm afraid you'll have to re-enter your configuration one more time.
  • "Zxsix's Guide To Syncing Lossless" PDF document included in zip

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #187 on: June 30, 2009, 09:06:28 pm »

It'll use the last installed MC, whichever registered itself last.

Just to clarify...

I have MC12, 13, 14 installed.

The last install was MC14. So only MC14 would be sync'd, even if my primary library is in MC13.

Another example, if I had installed MC13 after MC14, it would be syncing MC13 and not touch MC14.

I'm not asking for any kind of changes, I just want to understand what to expect. I only have MC12 because of some Holiday visualizations from G-Force. And I'm ready to switch from MC13 to MC14 anyway. This is probably a good excuse to uninstall MC12 & 13.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2009, 09:40:28 pm »

You should be able to get the gforce viz working in MC14 with a few registry edits and copying the .dll files from MC12's visualizations subfolder to MC14's visualizations subfolder.

broncodan

• World Citizen
« Reply #189 on: July 01, 2009, 12:11:22 am »

A couple of errors on my last sync (version 3.5):

the following tracks are unable to be imported:

<FileNotFound Pathname="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\The Roots\The Roots - Phrenology\15 - ().mp3" />
  <FileNotFound Pathname="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\The Roots\The Roots - Phrenology\16 - ().mp3" />
  <FileNotFound Pathname="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\The Roots\The Roots - Phrenology\18 - ().mp3" />

<ImportToiTunes Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\The Roots\The Roots - Phrenology\15 - .mp3">Unsuccessful</ImportToiTunes>
  <ImportToiTunes Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\The Roots\The Roots - Phrenology\16 - .mp3">Unsuccessful</ImportToiTunes>
  <ImportToiTunes Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\The Roots\The Roots - Phrenology\18 - .mp3">Unsuccessful</ImportToiTunes>

I believe that this has something to do with the parentheses - as there are a couple of other songs that have these in them that are also not being imported.

It also hung on me - it seemed to be checking a playlist that was in itunes and not in MC.  One I created in itunes and isn't in MC.  I am currently re-running to see if I can reproduce (and I will note the comment above the progress bar - as the program was hung and it shut down before I could click back).

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #190 on: July 01, 2009, 01:16:45 am »

Hi,

Very interested. Just a couple of questions:

- Does it work with MC.12? (neither 13 nor 14 can be installed in this machine).
- MC library is 370,000+ mp3. Just want to sync 4 and 5-star songs, so iTunes library could be around 20,000 or 25,000 mp3. Is that too much? Will it work?

Thank you.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #191 on: July 01, 2009, 03:01:47 am »

v3.5.1; Added command line argument /ViewScheme

Updated post at the top with following;

Argument usage:

MCiTunesSynchronizer.exe [/StartSync] [/ExitAfterSync] [/RunMinimized] [/LibraryIndex:n [/LibraryName:"sss"] [/LibraryPath:"ppp"]] [/ViewScheme:"vvv"]

Where n is the numbered index of the library to use, sss is the name of that library, fff is the path of that library and vvv is the name of the viewscheme (e.g. "Audio\Albums\MyView").

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #192 on: July 01, 2009, 03:08:55 am »

Just to clarify...

I have MC12, 13, 14 installed.

The last install was MC14. So only MC14 would be sync'd, even if my primary library is in MC13.

Another example, if I had installed MC13 after MC14, it would be syncing MC13 and not touch MC14.

I'm not asking for any kind of changes, I just want to understand what to expect. I only have MC12 because of some Holiday visualizations from G-Force. And I'm ready to switch from MC13 to MC14 anyway. This is probably a good excuse to uninstall MC12 & 13.

I'm not exactly sure ... I imagine that one of two things will happen when asking the OS for the MC interface;

• The OS will return the latest version, no matter what was installed when.
  • The OS will return the last registered version (i.e. the last install)

I personally think (this contradicts what I said before) that the former will happen, but I may be wrong. However, if you open up the version of MC you want to sync with first, it'll use that version. The log will tell you which instance of MC is being worked on, so if you start the sync, click stop straight away, then open the log you'll have your info. Don't worry, the sync caches the MC library first before doing anything so you have plenty of time to click "Stop". Hope that helps.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #193 on: July 01, 2009, 03:19:47 am »

A couple of errors on my last sync (version 3.5):

the following tracks are unable to be imported:

<FileNotFound Pathname="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\The Roots\The Roots - Phrenology\15 - ().mp3" />
  <FileNotFound Pathname="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\The Roots\The Roots - Phrenology\16 - ().mp3" />
  <FileNotFound Pathname="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\The Roots\The Roots - Phrenology\18 - ().mp3" />

<ImportToiTunes Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\The Roots\The Roots - Phrenology\15 - .mp3">Unsuccessful</ImportToiTunes>
  <ImportToiTunes Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\The Roots\The Roots - Phrenology\16 - .mp3">Unsuccessful</ImportToiTunes>
  <ImportToiTunes Filename="K:\Music Collection Share\Music Collection\The Roots\The Roots - Phrenology\18 - .mp3">Unsuccessful</ImportToiTunes>

I believe that this has something to do with the parentheses - as there are a couple of other songs that have these in them that are also not being imported.

It also hung on me - it seemed to be checking a playlist that was in itunes and not in MC.  One I created in itunes and isn't in MC.  I am currently re-running to see if I can reproduce (and I will note the comment above the progress bar - as the program was hung and it shut down before I could click back).

Parentheses don't cause problems... I've loads of files myself with all sorts of strange characters in them. From the look of it MCiS is going through all the right moves but iTunes is refusing to add those files for whatever reason. I've not changed this section of the code for some time now.

All playlists in iTunes are checked to see if they are under the folder specified in MCiS, so this is normal. At this stage clicking Stop should stop the process, and the failsafe mechanism I put in should carry on to the next playlist eventually. I can reduce the timeout so let me know the exact circumstances are - you must have something rather unusual going on in your iTunes library (a playlist with "infinite parents" in iTunes will cause this, but that should obviously not happen).

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #194 on: July 01, 2009, 03:24:05 am »

Hi,

Very interested. Just a couple of questions:

- Does it work with MC.12? (neither 13 nor 14 can be installed in this machine).
- MC library is 370,000+ mp3. Just want to sync 4 and 5-star songs, so iTunes library could be around 20,000 or 25,000 mp3. Is that too much? Will it work?

Thank you.

Hi, not tested with MC12 but I don't see why not. I don't believe the COM interface has changed much (or at all) since MC12. Your library should work fine. Use the new /ViewScheme argument to maybe cut down the amount of work the sync has to do. Caching 370,000 files only to sync 25,000 would be a bit wasteful!

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #195 on: July 01, 2009, 09:12:54 am »

I'm not exactly sure ... I imagine that one of two things will happen when asking the OS for the MC interface;

• The OS will return the latest version, no matter what was installed when.
  • The OS will return the last registered version (i.e. the last install)

I personally think (this contradicts what I said before) that the former will happen, but I may be wrong. However, if you open up the version of MC you want to sync with first, it'll use that version. The log will tell you which instance of MC is being worked on, so if you start the sync, click stop straight away, then open the log you'll have your info. Don't worry, the sync caches the MC library first before doing anything so you have plenty of time to click "Stop". Hope that helps.

Thanks...

I'm looking forward to the long weekend and will give it a go.

broncodan

• World Citizen
« Reply #196 on: July 01, 2009, 10:45:41 am »

Hey Prod,

Could not reproduce the hang up that I got.  to your comment about the "Stop" button - when it hung up - I pushed the stop button and it didn't "Stop" or I didn't have enough patience.  Seems okay now.

I do have a request though - when I ran it a second time through - I unchecked several playlists (in hopes that it would be quicker) - I didn't realize that those playlists would be deleted from itunes (I know - duh - MC Synchronizer) - Is there a way to put the option in to leave previously added playlists in itunes? 

Or I guess I could move them out of the MC sync folder after I transfer them over and that would work?

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #197 on: July 01, 2009, 11:41:53 am »

Hi, not tested with MC12 but I don't see why not. I don't believe the COM interface has changed much (or at all) since MC12. Your library should work fine. Use the new /ViewScheme argument to maybe cut down the amount of work the sync has to do. Caching 370,000 files only to sync 25,000 would be a bit wasteful!

Thanks, prod.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #198 on: July 01, 2009, 10:22:17 pm »

How do we figure out what to put on command line switches for LibraryIndex?
I've tried 0 through 4 and none work.
Get timeout searching for specified library.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #199 on: July 02, 2009, 02:14:48 am »

Could not reproduce the hang up that I got.  to your comment about the "Stop" button - when it hung up - I pushed the stop button and it didn't "Stop" or I didn't have enough patience.  Seems okay now.

In that case I think perhaps iTunes was blocking MCiS. Pressing Stop should be quite immediate. If it's any help, closing iTunes should stop the whole process cleanly (you'll probably get a "catastrophic error" or such-like but this is handled cleanly) rather than having to force everything down with task manager.

I do have a request though - when I ran it a second time through - I unchecked several playlists (in hopes that it would be quicker) - I didn't realize that those playlists would be deleted from itunes (I know - duh - MC Synchronizer) - Is there a way to put the option in to leave previously added playlists in itunes? 

Or I guess I could move them out of the MC sync folder after I transfer them over and that would work?

I think yes, if it doesn't need syncing, take it out of the sync folder. MCiS won't touch any playlist not in that folder.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 21   Go Up