INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging...would anyone besides me want....  (Read 1404 times)

Swordsman74

Tagging...would anyone besides me want....
« on: July 16, 2002, 09:54:32 pm »

Tagging...would anyone besides me want....to have MJ be able to import the MARC format from AllMusic.com?  The MARC format contains the artist, album title, track titles, genre(s), songwriters, and other notes.  I find the songwriters an interesting idea - on occasion I have pulled out the CD to find out who wrote the lyrics to a particular song.
Speaking of lyrics, I think having MJ support the Lyrics3 "standard" (is it?) of time-sensitive display of lyrics would be cool to have - actually any lyrics look-up functionality at all would be sweet.  Does anyone know if this is being considered?  From the posts, it seems like alot of people here have vast music collections, so trying to tag them all with lyrics might only be something wanted by the little fish like me with puny collections.
Just some thoughts - seeing what others are interested in...now that I'm a Media Jukebox "investor"!    What a great deal: $24.95 and I get one share!

Swordsman74

Poison Dan

• Junior Woodchuck
RE:Tagging...would anyone besides me want....
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2002, 01:22:26 am »

MARC support would be very, very cool. I'd love to see it implemented too.

Lyrics lookup would also be awesome. When I started ripping my CD collection, I manually copy-pasted lyrics into the lyrics field of the songs. But this became such a time-consuming process that I gave up after about 10-15 CDs.

However, I don't think automatic lyrics lookup is a trivial task. For one thing: do you know a website that has a substantial and reliable lyrics archive, that can be accessed externally ?

Poison Dan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 07:28:52 am »

Well, if anybody could reverse engineer the Purelyrics Winamp plugin, we might have what we need.

http://www.purelyrics.com/index.php?plugin=1

AlonsoN

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2002, 09:26:41 am »

MARC - Please Please Please.  Can't see why we have to muck with that nasty CDDB when MARC is there.

Swordsman74

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2002, 08:55:01 pm »

Does anyone from JRiver have any thoughts on either MARC or lyric support?  Does the CDDB agreement prevent you from accessing other online data sources?
If not, an agreement with AllMusic would get MARC support, more accurate CD lookup results, and better cover art.
As for lyrics, an interface with PureLyrics might be the way to go - with WinAmp support, it must not be too hard to add MJ support...  You might even try for a three-way - try to get PureLyrics to provide lyrics to AllMusic and have both provide support to MJ...I know, I'm getting greedy...but I can see services like that evolving a few years from now - now's the time to get in on that stuff....

Swordsman74

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2002, 11:05:45 pm »

bump to attract attention from JRiver!

Just a quick note from someone "in a position of power" saying they may/may not evaluate these as possible additions to 9.0 would be sufficient to stop my yapping....  

zigguratt

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2002, 02:57:48 am »

I'd be interested in having the "songwriter" or "author" of a track available. It would display nicely in Glissando. The LYRIC3 protocol has some very nice features, including lyrics, author, and extended field length. It's a nice simple protocol. There's a pretty good editor for these tags by Alon Gingold (one of the originators of the protocol, I believe) named Lyric3 Editor. Perhaps JRiver could look into supporting this protocol as well. Many of my MP3s are tagged this way but the information is lost in Media Jukebox.

Listening to: 'Ticks and Leeches' from 'Lateralis' by 'Tool' on Media Jukebox using Glissando :)
The latest version of Glissando can be had here.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2002, 04:36:23 am »

Swordsman74

I think The "Standard" Id3v2 Already Suports The Fields You Want. And Per J Rivers Comments A Month Ago Or So. MJ9 Will Support More If Not All Of The ID3v2 Fields.

Since ID3v2 Is The Standard Taging System (Right Now) I Do Not See Why Anyone Would Go To A Non Standard Taging System.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zigguratt

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2002, 04:44:24 am »

"I Do Not See Why Anyone Would Go To A Non Standard Taging System."

Well, for one thing the ID3v2 "standard" is FAR from simple. Also, it stores tag information at the front of the file, requiring that the whole file be read, modified then written to alter the tags. ID3v1 and LYRIC3 store information at the end, making updates much simpler and quicker. And I see nothing wrong with supporting several tag formats as long as they're simple and people use them.
The latest version of Glissando can be had here.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2002, 05:25:58 am »

>> Well, for one thing the ID3v2 "standard" is FAR from simple.
Thats For Sure
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Swordsman74

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2002, 07:52:09 am »

I like the idea of MJ supporting more ID3 tags in v9 - but will they be able to be "filled" by CDDB lookup?  I've been told I'm anal retentive, but typing in the songwriter/author for each song in my collection would border on the criminally insane.  Any idea if that data is even populated in CDDB?
And I agree with Zigguratt - why not support different tagging, especially if one does not cover everything?  An example would be the time-sensitive lyrics in Lyrics3 tags - I don't think ID3 has that (and I doubt it will for some time).  If they did eventually update ID3 to include that, I'm sure there would be programs to convert Lyrics3 to ID3.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2002, 08:07:11 am »

Swordsman74

Any Field That CDDB Askes For When Submitting A CD Can Be Saved To A Tag.

There Are However More ID3v2 Tags Than What CDDB Has On The Submit Page.

Well With Work On Version 9 Of MJ In The Near Future Who Knows.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2002, 08:26:23 am »

I need to continue using ID tagging for the near future because I have other devices that read the tags... but... I would love to be able to import the MARC format into the ID tags.  This might be a concept similar to 'Fill properties from filename', but would be 'Fill properties from MARC file'.

Lou Busch

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2002, 04:00:04 pm »

I got a reply from JR a few months ago about v9.|PLS| supporting a more flexible tagging (database) system.  Importing the MARC format from AllMusic would be a fantastic addition.  I, too, will continue to tag my files in "custom" fields until MJ get something like this.  I use Tag&Rename for mass file tagging.  They are a little further along the curve, but don't yet support the (import of) style, lyrics et.al.
Pages: [1]   Go Up