INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server Issues  (Read 3397 times)

nickstorm

• Recent member
Library Server Issues
« on: May 02, 2009, 08:18:02 pm »

I'm running the latest version of MC on my LAN.  Everything works wonderfully - it communicates with my D-Link Media Lounge unit via the PnP Server just fine, and running Library Server, all machines on the LAN can access both audio and video.

The problem I'm having is accessing the Library Server from outside the LAN.  I routinely run other applications that have outside access (torrents, P2P, etc), and I'm very familiar with networking.  I've set the Lib Server to port 83, then forwarded that port in the router.  There are exceptions for the port in the firewall software as well.

From a remote machine (actually a notebook, logged into my neighbor's wi-fi connection), I start MC, plug in the IP address and port, and get... nothing.  No files.  On the Library Server PC, it shows no activity, no queries... nothing.

So, I tried this: http://100.99.88.77:83/GetLibrary

Bingo.  The Lib Server queried me for login, and I did so.  Then it sent me a file.  All of this showed up on the Library Server log, as well.  So, it is not blocked in any way that I can see, yet... why isn't it responding to MC on the remote system, when it will respond to a direct query from a web browser?

BTW, the library itself is rather large (250gb of music, another 300gb of video).  The file it sent me was only 1.5mb.  I guess it should look at it and see what it actually sent.

Idea's would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance...

Nick

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Library Server Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:45:52 am »

So, I tried this: http://100.99.88.77:83/GetLibrary
What happens if you try this from the PC that is running the server?

Try removing the login, just to test.

nickstorm

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 12:11:17 pm »

Opened a browser on the PC running the Library Server, and got the same thing - the 1.5mb file. I also removed the login, and got the same thing (which was, nothing happened - Server never even noticed the attempt).  Same machine, logged into the LAN instead of remotely, finds the server immediately, and downloads the library in seconds.

I don't know if this matters or not (can't see how it would), but the actual library (database) and files are located across the LAN on a machine that is the "real" Media Server.  I don't run MC on that machine, since it runs a couple of other processor intensive applications (it's a backbone of a large P2P network).  Still, nothing else on the LAN knows that the files are mapped to that machine, so I can't see how it would matter to a remote PC, either.  The Library Server system has access to the files and database, and the LAN speeds aren't an issue either (it's a gigabit LAN).

BTW, on the Server system, that Library is set as "default" also - I think I read that you can only share your default library, so I set it up that way.

My next move is to try relocating the database files to a drive on the Server machine, and see how that works.

Thanks for the suggestions

Nick

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 12:58:46 pm »

Library Server serves the active library and the database location should not matter. If the server can access the database, the server can serve it.

I think your problem must be a network issue. AFAIK, Library Server does not do change its behavior anyhow depending on the client's location.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

nickstorm

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 01:54:29 pm »

I started MC on the machine where the database and files reside, and had the same issue - nothing showing up outside the LAN.

It was my thinking (originally) that this was a network issue as well.  Aside from using port forwarding in the Server machine, I went so far as to place the entire machine in the "DMZ" of the router.  At that point, nothing is being blocked.  All firewalls disabled, and only the usual spybot and virus software running.

Also, if it were a network issue, why does it respond to a browser query successfully? 

It almost seems as though I'm missing something basic and obvious here, so here's what I'm doing.

- on the Server, I start MC, then start the Library Server.  Says it's running.
- remotely, I start MC, then via Library Manager, select the IP/Port combo for the Server.  I click on "Load Library".
- As far as I can tell, MC remotely doesn't see or do anything.  On the Server, it doesn't show anything happening - no login, no files sent, nothing.

It's as though the remote copy of MC is not talking to the Library Server.  They aren't "seeing" each other, as it were.  Maybe I'm missing a step somewhere...

Nick

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 01:57:47 pm »

- on the Server, I start MC, then start the Library Server.  Says it's running.
MC13 has new startup options for Media Server.  Check how you have them set.  Get the latest copy of MC13 from this board, reinstall and reboot. 

If you've told MC to start Library Server, and you've got Media Server already running, quit MC.  You should see Media Server running in the Task Bar on the right.

See the wiki link on "Servers".

nickstorm

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 05:49:34 pm »

Okay, here's what I've done:

1. Checked version of MC - running 13.0.132 on all systems. Reinstalled it anyway on Lib Server system.
2. Checked the startup options.  None of them seemed apply, as I am not running "Remote Server".
3. Re-read the "Servers" Wiki for about the 20th time.  Saw the suggestion to try a smaller library, so I created one local to the Lib Server system, with only 1000 files.  Same result - it will respond to "GetLibrary" via Firefox, and send me a much smaller file than before, but when loading the library via MC, the Lib Server shows no requests.  It just sits there.
4. Tried changing ports to default - 80.  Didn't work so well, even with port forwarding - too many things try to use port 80 (namely, most web traffic).  Got no response from the Lib Server, even using Firefox.  So, I switched it back to port 84, reconfigured the router settings, and once again, Firefox will get the library, and it is logged by the Server.
5. Just because I'm a cynic, I've tried using MC (remotely) on two other systems besides the original one, just in case it is a problem specific to that system.  Same result, regardless of the system used.

At this point, I have to ask, is *anyone* getting this to work?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 08:29:40 pm »

13.0.152 is available.

nickstorm

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 01:50:13 am »

At first, I was just doing the "check for updates", then saw that .161 was available via the forums here.  I subsequently downloaded and installed 161 on all systems.  Same results, however.

Is there a list of other commands that MC will recognize, aside from "GetLibrary"? I've done a cursory search, and couldn't find any.  I don't know what good that would do, since the objective is to get the remote copy of MC to talk to the server, but... it would be something to play with, at least.

Also, is the version 161 a beta?  I suspect you guys are writing MC in Visual Basic, and while I know it isn't open source, if someone will shoot me a copy of the library server module, I'd be happy to take a look at it.  I've been programming since about the dawn of time (well, 1976, anyway) and am fluent in most everything out there, and some stuff that no longer is (remember Fortran?). 

Anyway, this one is baffling me.  Professionally, these days I'm a MSCNE, so not much regarding networking gets by me.  MC Lib Server is *not* being blocked in any way - I can trace route to that port (though MC does not respond to "pings"), and actually get a response by sending a command via a web browser.  Yet the remote copy of MC is not communicating with the server.  As my granddad used to say - Somethin' ain't right.  I'd like to fix this, as I doubt I'm the only person having this problem.

Nick

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 04:51:56 am »

At this point, I have to ask, is *anyone* getting this to work?

It works for me. I just tested it again.

One of the PCs is behind a NAT box (uses a 192.168.0.xxxx -type private address) and the other one is connected directly to the internet. I can run the server on either PC and connect from the other PC.

Here is a bit similar thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46050
I don't know if RhinoBanga could eventually resolve his problem.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 05:02:30 am »

It works for me. I just tested it again.

One of the PCs is behind NAT (uses a 192.168.0.xxxx -type private address ) and the other one is connected directly to the internet. I can run the server on either PC and connect from the other PC.

Here is a bit similar thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46050
I don't know if RhinoBanga could eventually resolve his problem.

Does it work on different ports Alex?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 05:19:49 am »

I use the port 1549 on the server that is behind the NAT box. I have opened the port 1549 for TCP traffic in the NAT box and added the server pc's private 192.168.0.xxx address as a local IP for that port.

I use 1244 on the server that is connected directly.

In my case certain specific port numbers are necessary because my ISP allows only a few ports to be used with a server.

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 10:24:17 am »

I don't think anyone asked if you checked your Firewall. I use Norton and XBMC for UPnP with library server and Norton is a person to configure to let UPnP and applications send stuff out. I suppose it does what it is suppose to but seems I am always having to go in to custom set up applications with it for Tversity, MC, and PlayOn to get stuff out of my PC to be visible on my network. I think even if the ports are open the firewall blocks attempts by apps to send stuff out.

nickstorm

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 01:06:14 pm »

In an effort to simplify things, I disabled all firewalls (including SPI in the router).  No firewalls are running, period.  Yes, the Library Server system is on a 9 system LAN, and uses NAT via the Netgear router.  Port 84 is forwarded to the specific server system, and the entire system has been placed in the DMZ of the router, although this is probably unnecessary.

The MC Server responds to remote requests via web browser.  It does not respond at all to other requests from the remote MC.  Since I've been unable to see it do *anythnig* in regards to MC Client to MC Server communications, I set up a network sniffer to monitor what's going on.

With the sniffer (I use Wireshark) logging, I queried the MC Server via Firefox.  I got an immediate response, and downloaded the library file.  Wireshark logged the entire session, no problem.

Next, I killed the browser, and launched MC.  It started up with the server address/port, but showed no files, as usual.  A quick check of the log showed no traffic from the remote MC to the IP of the MC Server.  Using Library Manager, I opened the database link, and clicked on "Load" to load the Library, just in case MC didn't know it was supposed to do that.  Again, no outgoing request of any kind to the IP of the MC Server.  It is not asking for anything.

I was curious if the remote MC would communicate with anything, so I told it to check for updates.  Wireshark logged all the traffic to and from 198.73.82.148, no problem.

Fired up Firefox again (with MC running) and did a "GetLibrary" again.  Same result.  The MC Server responded, and sent the file.  Wireshark logged it all, as before.

At this point, it seems clear that the remote MC is not even trying to communicate with the server.  I'm wondering if there is some plug-in or such that it may be missing.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Nick

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 01:10:29 pm »

Robo983's speculation about a firewall would explain what you're seeing.  We have seen instances where disabling was not enough.

On the client machine, exactly how have you specified the machine you're connecting to? 

What happens if you choose "Search for servers" on both the client and the server?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 01:16:10 pm »

Also, try searching for "server" in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

And did you test from another PC?

nickstorm

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 04:56:48 pm »

At present, I'm testing from my office with two machines - a desktop, and a notebook.  Both are running MC release 161, although both are behind a router.

The MC Server is responding to queries from a web browser.  That tells me that the Library Server system is accessible from outside the LAN.

I have tried to formats for the IP address in the client MC - 100.99.88.77:84 - and, on a whim - http:\\100.99.88.77:84
same result, either way.

BTW, using Wireshark to packet sniff, if the client MC was making the attempt, it would still show, and would show how far it was getting and what was blocking it.  It is not sending a query at all.  Not sure how to make it do so, since everything I've heard and read says it should be doing this automatically. 

As far as "search for servers", it responds with "Failed to find local library server".  On the LAN with the Lib Server, any other system can pull it up, after searching for it.  I'm not at the Library Server system now, but once I get there, I will fire up Wireshark again, and see what the MC client is doing when hitting a local server.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 05:09:27 pm »

Have you double-checked the addresses and port numbers?

When I tested my connection I had a pair of numbers inversed in one place and I couldn't easily see that. My brain created an image of the already familiar IP address instead of really reading the typed numbers.

nickstorm

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 12:39:17 am »

Yes, the IP address is valid - it is used in quite a few different applications, from a web server, to running as a P2P Ultrapeer, wi-fi net cams, and a few other things - all of them accessible to the net, from wherever.  Also the MC Lib Server responds just fine when queried via browser at that address and port.  I can telnet to it as well, but I'm blocking "pings" at the router.

No firewalls are running, and even if they were, I've placed the server system in the router DMZ, outside of all protection.  I was thinking that my net provider might be blocking access on port 84, but the browser test invalidates that argument - port 84 works fine, just not with MC.

I've run a few more tests with the packet sniffer logging, and I get the same thing, regardless of port configuration - the MC client is not sending out any data to the address/port combo - not so much as a byte.  I can tell the MC client to do other things, like stream from youtube, and it not only works, but I can see the activity logged in wireshark.

Essentially, I'm telling the client to connect, and it is doing nothing.  The packet sniffer logs don't lie.  At this point, I'm about ready to just give out the address and see if anyone out there can connect to the darn thing.

Nick

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 07:51:26 am »

Are both sides the same version?

Could you summarize what does work?  I'm confused about whether the problem is on the client or on the server now.  Try to clearly separate your setup information, and what you know works, from the speculation about causes.

Also, please state, step by step, how you attempt to start MC client access to Library Server.  I believe you think the server works, but that the client refuses to connect.
Pages: [1]   Go Up