INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A tip for those on Windows 7 64 bit - shell integration  (Read 1317 times)

AussieBill

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Aussies do it upside down
A tip for those on Windows 7 64 bit - shell integration
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:49:22 am »

Hey Folks,

I've been using the Windows 7 (64 bit) RC1 for a couple of weeks now, and I LOVE it! Well, except for the fact that 32-bit Shell Extensions will not work with 64-bit Explorer.exe.  If you hunt around the net and the MC forums you will see some workaround to run the 32-bit version, however that doesn't work in Windows 7, it will not run the 32 bit explorer.

Anyway, I found out that if you run a 32 bit alternate Explorer/File Manager they all work, so for the times you need the Media Center shell extensions to work (which for me is mainly the "Import" context function) it works fine.

I am using the free FreeCommander at http://www.freecommander.com/.  But you should be able to use any other one.

I am hoping that the MC crew add a 64 bit Shell Extension soon - from what I am reading the whole app doesn't have to be made 64 bit, you can add a 64 bit shell extension to the 32 bit app.  Also, get ready for 64 bit, I have heard that Windows 7 is the LAST Microsoft OS to offer 32 bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up