INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 Tagging Help  (Read 2356 times)

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
  • I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
MP3 Tagging Help
« on: May 26, 2009, 02:26:37 am »

It seems that MC13 is not altering the mp3's tags to reflect the changes I made.  I'll elaborate.  I edited some mp3 tag information and and then ran "rename move, and copy."  Okay, all the mp3s file names reflected the changed.  Then, because of an unrelated matter, I had to reimage my drive using the MC13 library from the day previous day, before those changes were made.  I reimported my files.  But the MC library fields  remained the same as they were before I edited the tag information, but the filenames had been altered.  Very strange.  I can only come to the conclusion that the mp3 tags are not being altered the way I would expect.  Why is that?  Can I do anything to correct that behavior?

Nate

Media Center 13.0.168 Registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 13\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1657 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2063 MB, Free - 1630 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: _NEC     DVD_RW ND-3550A    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive G: LITE-ON  DVD+RW LDW-401S    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MP3 Tagging Help
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 07:08:35 am »

Make sure the following option is checked

Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes

DavidCognito

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:04:19 am »

Same problem here - I have that option checked.

Sometimes it works, but more often it doesn't. I haven't spotted a pattern. I need to manually run 'Update tags (from library)'.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 08:47:23 am »

Please verify that the tag changes are really not written to the files:

1. Change some tags.

2. Check the actual file tags in Action Window > Tag > Format  (Click the first line in AW > Tag to open the "detailed format info" window. It shows the exact tags directly from the physical disk file)

If the format info shows old unchanged tags then we can continue and try to resolve the problem (sample files may be needed). If the file format appears to be fine, it can be a write permission problem (caused by OS level user rights, antivirus program, etc). If it appears to be a rare, previously undiscovered, bug in MC13 JRiver may choose to fix it only in MC14.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DavidCognito

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:05:27 am »

OK. I changed the Year tag on Air, Moon Safari, FLAC from 1998 to 1999.

The detailed format info still shows date (there's no 'Year' displayed) as 1998.

I had been checking by looking at the update stamp in Windows Explorer - that also does not change unless I manually 'Update tags (from library)'.

I repeated the test on an MP3 album with the same result.

Having said that the problem is intermittent, I'm not certain that it is now - it seems like it's a problem for all files.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 10:27:43 am »

I assume you can reproduce the problem also with other tags, not just with year/date.

I am not sure what to say. If you can change the same tags manually by doing "Update tags (from library)" then something is really not working as it should. Personally I'd try a vanilla MC installation on some other PC or in MS's Virtual PC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DavidCognito

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 11:16:17 am »

That seems to be the issue - if I update Year, tags are not updated. If I update e.g. Date or Genre, tags are updated.

Is that by design?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 11:37:58 am »

It should tag the Date and JR_Date tags in the flac files whenever you change the Date field unless you have disabled tagging. (The Date file tag is the normal tag for the year value as it exists in the CD databases and the proprietary JR_Date file tag can contain a precise date & time value.)

The separate Year field exists only as a display field. The actual data is always stored in the Date field. Whenever the Year value is tagged also the Date value changes.

It is possible to disable tagging also in the field specific settings (in Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields > Date > Store in file tags when posssible), but the setting affects the "Update Tags (from library)" command as well so it shouldn't be the cause of your problem.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 11:54:22 am »

I think I found something. If the separate Year field is tagged the Date field changes correctly, but that does not trigger a file tag update. I have not noticed the behavior because I always tag the year value directly in the Date field.

DavidCognito

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 12:37:16 pm »

For some reason, in the distant past, I started using 'Year' in preference to 'Date' - but it's no biggie to use 'Date' instead - and it solves this problem.

Thanks for your help, Alex.
Pages: [1]   Go Up