INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Face Tagger plugin -- Call for testers...  (Read 3566 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
Face Tagger plugin -- Call for testers...
« on: May 31, 2009, 05:15:25 pm »

I am developing a Face Tagger plugin for MC. Can you help me test it?

The beta version will be released in this forum within a weeks time.

Features:
o Context menu "Send to" brings up the tagger window. (Similar to the "Send To" in PvdImport for those of you who have used that plugin)
o Point to image, click, select person from list or you can input a new person
o Exports people to "People" in correct left to right and back to front order.
o Face tagging data is stored in the MC database (as a new user field).

JRiver may decide to implement Face tagging in some later release. If that happens, I will try to make an export function to get the data properly formatted into the new JRiver fields.

So what is my motivation for writing this plugin? I need to know who is who in a photo. Right now, the People field is a list delimited field which orders the strings alphabetically. So, using the list to designate people "left to right, back to front"  cannot be done.

Furthermore, I have tested "a lot" of other image applications and none of them has this kind of functionality. If you can point me to one that has something that works, please tell

darichman

• MC Beta Team
Re: Face Tagger plugin -- Call for testers...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 02:14:19 am »

I'm on board if you'll have me.

Would the primary aim be to provide a mechanism to correctly format the People field with the correct order (as you say, L>R, B>F) or to provide an interface for viewing/identifying faces in photos once they've been tagged with the plugin previously? (or both?)

How will the send to command handle multiple images? Will it queue images, to be tagged one by one? Or open multiple tagging dialogs?

Point to image, click, select person from list or you can input a new person

Might be a but early for feature requests, but if this "list" could be populated with people in the current album only that might make things a lot easier for those with several thousand people in the database :D

I think Picasa 3 and PSE4 both have face tagging now, although I haven't tried either of them.

Would be happy to test and make outrageous feature requests, as long as you can tolerate my periodic absences for uni/hospital-related stuff.
If PvdImport is anything to go by, I'm expecting big things here raldo ;)

raldo

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 05:11:24 am »

I'm on board if you'll have me.
Great!

Would the primary aim be to provide a mechanism to correctly format the People field with the correct order (as you say, L>R, B>F) or to provide an interface for viewing/identifying faces in photos once they've been tagged with the plugin previously? (or both?)

How will the send to command handle multiple images? Will it queue images, to be tagged one by one? Or open multiple tagging dialogs?

Well, I was mostly thinking about adding the X,Y info for each person in a photo, with a possibility to delete etc. That means that there must be a graphical interface. If you tag, close and reopen, then the tag info will be shown in the photo.

I'm not sure how far I'll venture into the GUI yet but I think I'll make a phase I version with a simple list of files and a view of the selected photo.

And: No automatic detection of faces for now :)

Might be a but early for feature requests, but if this "list" could be populated with people in the current album only that might make things a lot easier for those with several thousand people in the database :D

From within the plugin, I can find the playlist(s) in which a file is present (including playing now), is that what you mean by "current playlist? If yes, then your suggestion is possible.

I think Picasa 3 and PSE4 both have face tagging now, although I haven't tried either of them.

I sorta knew about those, and I have tested both. For several reasons, though, I chose not to use them. The most important reason is that, as far as I understand, you're locked into their app once you start using it. At least with MC, we can export the data.

Would be happy to test and make outrageous feature requests, as long as you can tolerate my periodic absences for uni/hospital-related stuff.
If PvdImport is anything to go by, I'm expecting big things here raldo ;)
:)

gappie

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 09:10:24 am »

would love to test also. would be a great addition.....

thanks for giving this a shot...

:)
gab

raldo

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 02:49:31 pm »

would love to test also. would be a great addition.....
Super duper.

raldo

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 04:31:54 pm »

This'll be on hold for a while, I'm afraid...

johnnyboy

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 07:46:59 pm »

Shame.
If you did this, I'd LOVE it if you could make it integrate with facebook to send/receive the data from there and match it with the DB somehow?
Not sure if this is possible?

raldo

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 06:35:51 am »

Shame.
If you did this, I'd LOVE it if you could make it integrate with facebook to send/receive the data from there and match it with the DB somehow?
Not sure if this is possible?

We'll see after summer. Lots of things going on now...

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 02:31:10 pm »

I just discovered this thread (I was in the woods for a couple years ;-))

Has anything been happening lately? I'm really interested. I have 18,000 pics that are tagged in MC.

...Michel

raldo

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 04:27:29 pm »

Has anything been happening lately? I'm really interested. I have 18,000 pics that are tagged in MC.

Well, I thought I'd time a new release of Facetagger with the upcoming release of Photobounce

In their road map, they're promising XMP (same format as Windows Live Photo Gallery) face tagging.

Combined with their superb Face detection and recognition: Excellent!

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 09:26:53 pm »

This sounds interesting... I'm still holding off on a massive face-tagging extravaganza, knowing that someone will swoop in and create a new standard, rendering all of my hard work in vain! The issue I have at the moment is, I like Picassa's interface and face recognition, but prefer WLPG's more open tagging methods. So you can't win...

I think I'd be happy if at least google and windows would agree on something. Then MC could use that, and we could all forget about portability issues and unnecessary proprietary formats :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up