INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: *Please* Include Compatible ReplayGain Support in MC14!  (Read 2218 times)

yonkiman

• World Citizen
*Please* Include Compatible ReplayGain Support in MC14!
« on: June 01, 2009, 11:57:41 am »

I'm a long-time fan/promoter of MC, largely because the development team "gets it" - they are full of great ideas and they also listen to their users.  But when it comes to ReplayGain, I've been very disappointed by MC's lack of support (both the player itself and the development team).  Yes, MC has implemented ReplayGain in a way that works well inside the MC environment.  But the way ReplayGain has been implemented is not compatible (as far as I know) with any other software/players out there.  I know it's not compatible with my player of choice - Rockbox - which is a real shame because I feel Rockbox is the spiritual equivalent (sharp developers trying to make the best product possible) of MC.

I raised this point over two years ago (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38695.0), and got some support from other frustrated users, but nothing happened.  In the third post of that thread, Alex B describes what needs to be done to become compatible with Rockbox, Foobar, and Winamp (and if you're compatible with those three you're probably compatible with most players that support ReplayGain).

Now it may be that the way JRiver implemented ReplayGain is far superior to the way everyone else is doing it.  That's fine.  I'm not saying that that should be abandoned.  But as a Rockbox user, ReplayGain is essentially unsupported.  So please add an option to analyze and tag files that is compatible with the rest of the ReplayGain world.  I don't understand why this hasn't happened yet!

Cheers,
Fred

Dirhael

• World Citizen
Re: *Please* Include Compatible ReplayGain Support in MC14!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 12:30:39 pm »

I'd love to see this as well. MP3's are (afaik) compatible with the RG standard tags used by other players, but the same can not be said for FLAC.
:: My J​RMC history :: 13>14>15> 16>17>18>19>20>21>23>24>25>26>27>28>29>30>31

ubernode54

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:37:20 pm »

Interesting. I don't know all the details how it's done differently in the different programs.

But I do know that what I've been doing for years seems to work just fine.

I use foobar 0.8.3 to do my replaygain scanning. It's fast and reliable. Once that's done and the tags saved to the file, all those programs work: winamp, rockbox, foobar (obviously) and of course, Media Center! MC no longer needs to analyze my files since they already contain the replaygain tags.

I realize that's not the 'answer' you're looking for... perhaps if I were to suggest that the J River guys 'borrow' from foobar... But it's only a small step in your workflow from acquisition to enjoyment, and it's really quite quick.

Now if only I could figure out how to call foobar from MC to do the scanning...   :o

yonkiman

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 11:51:46 am »

I use foobar 0.8.3 to do my replaygain scanning. It's fast and reliable. Once that's done and the tags saved to the file, all those programs work: winamp, rockbox, foobar (obviously) and of course, Media Center! MC no longer needs to analyze my files since they already contain the replaygain tags.

Really?  I didn't think MC recognized "outside" Replay Gain information.

Anyway, I've done what you said off and on over the years, but I'm not happy about it for several reasons:
  • I can't believe I'm having to resort to using a program named "Foobar" (too close to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUBAR) on my precious audio library.   :-\
  • It always takes me 20 minutes to re-learn how to do anything on Foobar - I just don't "get" the interface (unlike the simple, logical, and powerful GUI of MC).
  • Most importantly, it doesn't work in my primary application.  I'm re-ripping my library to FLAC, but using MC's autoconvert feature to turn them into high quality oggs for my Rockbox iPod.  When it converts, the "universal" ReplayGain tags in the flacs do not appear in the converted ogg files.  I guess the "solution" is to run Foobar on my Rockbox, but I just don't understand why JRiver doesn't seem interested in giving their users an easier/happier experience wrt ReplayGain on portable devices.

Now if only I could figure out how to call foobar from MC to do the scanning...   :o

Or after an automatic format conversion :)...[/list]

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 12:38:39 pm »

hi,

I am glad I am not the only one who cries about the replay-gain issues...

I myself want to let MC do everything also and not use 3rd party utilities.
also, I really really want the replay gain info to be used when converting/burning/transferring audio files
either as (using the options) a TAG and sometimes as re-encoding/changing the target file to the correct gain/(volume)...

MAPgeekdad

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mets fan
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 09:56:02 pm »

I will again state my support for standardized Replaygain, as I did during MC13 feature requests.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 11:16:56 pm »

I will again state my support for standardized Replaygain, as I did during MC13 feature requests.

Thanks.

I believe MC 13 uses the standard tag fields for APE, MP3, and FLAC.

Please start a new thread on the v14 board if you feel there is still a problem.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up