INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8.3 file names error  (Read 1264 times)

Shelton

8.3 file names error
« on: July 14, 2002, 10:25:24 pm »

In MJ 7.2 Plus and WinXP I get an error when I try to burn a play list telling me that there are no 8.3 file names associated with the files on the playlist. Also that I should rename them and reimport them into the library.
I don't think that has ever been a problem before and renaming all the library files would not be an option.
Am I doing something wrong? :) It's been awhile since I burned a playlist and even then it was probably under Win2K and not XP.
All I did was select an album and add it to a playlist and then click on burn. I tried severl other albums also and got the same error...hummm

SLeslie

RE:8.3 file names error
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2002, 07:49:01 am »

Bump

Bill Ko

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2002, 08:03:34 am »

I think this is probably because you have your music files on an NTFS partition.  On a FAT or Fat32 partition, the file is actually an 8.3 file with a long name alias.  NTFS is designed to use long names right from the start.

Now all this would be fine and dandy if you were trying to burn a data CD, but you're trying to burn a music CD.  This is/was a known issue, resolved in the latest version, version 8.

Bill

Nikolay

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 08:37:39 am »

Shelton,

Please upgrade to the latest version of Media Jukebox 8.0

Nikolay

Shelton

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2002, 08:42:37 am »

Thanks... that makes sense. I will try the upgrade again. The last time I tried I had so many problems that I reverted back to 7.2. I was hoping to wait till it wasn't beta any more :)

Shelton

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2002, 07:00:54 pm »

That was the problem. I converted the drive to fat32 from ntfs and it's working again. Unless I run across more problems I think I will wait till the ver 8 is out of beta.
thanks!

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2002, 05:57:36 am »

I added an FAQ topic on this one. Here's a copy of the answer:

Normally all Windows filenames have associated "short" 8.3 filenames. On Windows NT/2000/XP using the NTFS file system, this feature can be turned off so long filenames are created without the associated short filenames. Our Goldenhawk burning component requires that the 8.3 short names exist. There are a couple work arounds:

1. Use the "generic driver" on the CD writer settings page.
2. Ensure that your computer is setup to allow 8.3 filename creation, then copy the problem files to new files and re-import them into MJ. Delete the old copies.

To ensure that your computer can support 8.3 filenames, check the value of this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation
It's value should be zero to avoid the problem. You need to reboot after changing it for the change to take effect.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up