INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Import irregularities with MC13  (Read 1787 times)

Frankz

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Library Import irregularities with MC13
« on: June 12, 2009, 08:36:32 am »

I've just recently upgraded to MC13, and I'm finding that albums are not being imported from various artisits. For instance, I have 13 U2 albums, only 10 got imported. I've checked and re-checked the tags for all 13 albums using MP3tag program and cannot determine any differences in the tagging that should casue this "selective" import. When I search by album name, though, instead of by artist 2 of the 3 missing albums are listed by album name.

Another import question: When I import my library, the operations seems to import in chunks of 10,000. Is that correct? I have about 38,000 songs total.  They all do finally import (excluding the issues in the first paragraph), but they display import status in 10,000 song increments.

Frank Z

jmbailey2000

• Recent member
Re: Library Import irregularities with MC13
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 12:28:45 am »

I'm having the same issue with some albums not importing or they import but under a different artist then what the tag says. I changed the artist name slightly and the tag says it is changed and when I do a "rename" the "original" and "new" show the changes properly and the rename "runs" but the end result is the album doesn't show up in the right place under the true artist tag. I've tried everything from changing the artist and album to deleting the files, etc. to no avail. I even wiped out my library and imported everything from scratch and it still mis-imported the albums.

What the heck....... :(

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 12:54:13 am »

I'm having the same issue with some albums not importing or they import but under a different artist then what the tag says. I changed the artist name slightly and the tag says it is changed and when I do a "rename" the "original" and "new" show the changes properly and the rename "runs" but the end result is the album doesn't show up in the right place under the true artist tag. I've tried everything from changing the artist and album to deleting the files, etc. to no avail. I even wiped out my library and imported everything from scratch and it still mis-imported the albums.

What the heck....... :(

Check that the ALBUM ARTIST tag is not set for that album.  If there is an ALBUM ARTIST tag then delete it.
Check that the BAND tag is not set for that album.  If there is a BAND tag then delete it.

The ALBUM ARTIST tag and BAND tag will override the ARTIST tag.  If the ALBUM ARTIST or BAND tag are not consistent for the entire album (for every track in the album) then MC13 will treat the differing tracks as coming from different albums.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 04:03:07 am »

Frobozz, your advice is mostly correct. The Album Artist field may cause an Album to show under a different Artist name if it has a value that differs from the track artist value. Also if the album has various track artists and no Album Artist value it will automatically show up under (Multiple Artists) in the default view schemes.

However, the Band library field is not connected to the "Album Artist" system. Only the so called TPE2 frame in MP3/ID3v2 tags (which was used for the Band value in old MC versions) has now a different purpose. It is now used for the Album Artist value. The Band library field has now a new custom ID3v2 frame. The change affects only MP3 tagging.

This was changed because JRiver had to follow what Microsoft and Apple use even though the TPE2 frame is originally defined as "Band/Orchestra/Accompanied". Unfortunately the ID3v2 standard does not have a designed frame for "Album Artist".

In general, the automatic Album Artist system is one of the great things in MC. It makes possible to let MC automatically detect "various artists" albums or use a custom Album Artist name.

More info about the Album Artist system:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33255
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52273.msg356690#msg356690
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52306.msg357095#msg357095
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 03:29:35 pm »

Frobozz, you advice is mostly correct.

I'm sloppy in my knowledge of the details.  Tagging interaction with different apps and how tags are mapped is confusing.

I had problems with a few albums not being seen as complete or being thought to be multiple artist albums when they were not.  I cleared the ALBUM ARTIST tag from all albums using MC13.  Then I checked all of my files using Mp3Tag to remove the BAND tag.  After that operation MC13 grouped my albums properly.

Files that I purchased from Amazon had the BAND tag set.  It wasn't always consistent for every file in the album.  Some other files I ripped also had the BAND tag and I'm not sure how it got there.  Removing the BAND tag seems to make MC13 happy so that's what I did.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 04:01:14 pm »

We are talking about the same thing. The TPE2 frame used to be linked with the "Band" library field, but now it shows up as "Album Artist" in MC13 and MC14, similarly like in WMP, iTunes and Winamp.

Mp3tag shows it as "Band" and you can remove it as you explained. You can do the same thing by removing the "Album Artist" field value inside MC13 and MC14. This will reset the "Album Artist (auto)" field to the default. (Don't make a mistake, the "Album Artist (auto)" field is separate and normally you should not edit it.)

Alternatively you can tag a meaningful value to the "Album Artist" field.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up