INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC13 Wanting Admin Access? Any reason why?  (Read 2067 times)

WB3FFV

• Recent member
MC13 Wanting Admin Access? Any reason why?
« on: June 16, 2009, 11:08:33 pm »

After installing MC13, as I used to have MC12 before purchasing the update, I have the interesting situation where MC13 wants administrative access to run.

If I open MC13 my just starting it on the desktop, and drag a song on to it, then it plays great, and is happy.  Where I am running into the issue is if I just double click on a song in my collection, not drag it to the player, or if the player isn't open to start with, I get the message it needs an Administrative login.  If I don't give it the Administrator login, and password (which is a bad idea in my book, stuff should not need to run as admin) then it fails and gives me the message "Unable to register controls. Please run as a power user".

Now my environment is that I am running on my desktop on a Vista Ultimate x64 machine, but it's part of an Active Directory/Domain, so I don't really have a Power User setting, that's not so much part of AD.  I never had this issue with MC12, but now after installing the update to MC13 I do, any ideas how to fix this one??

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC13 Wanting Admin Access? Any reason why?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:21:41 am »

When you switch from MC 12 to MC 13, it needs to register some COM controls.  This requires elevated permissions.

This requirement is being phased out in MC 14.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

WB3FFV

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:37:50 am »

When you switch from MC 12 to MC 13, it needs to register some COM controls.  This requires elevated permissions.

This requirement is being phased out in MC 14.

Understood, and I DID have to run it as Administrator to install the software, but do the controls still require Admin privs after the install to run??

I guess all the same, glad to hear this is being resolved in MC14, it will be nice to get that back to running normally, as I very much enjoy and use the MC program..

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 08:37:59 am »

Understood, and I DID have to run it as Administrator to install the software, but do the controls still require Admin privs after the install to run??

I guess all the same, glad to hear this is being resolved in MC14, it will be nice to get that back to running normally, as I very much enjoy and use the MC program..

If you run one version MC, then close it and run a different version MC, it requires a one-time elevation.  It will not require this every run, only when switching between major versions.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

WB3FFV

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 02:17:15 pm »

If you run one version MC, then close it and run a different version MC, it requires a one-time elevation.  It will not require this every run, only when switching between major versions.

Actually it's not even an issue of jumping back and forth between MC12 and MC13, as I pretty much stopped using MC12, in fact been tempted to just deinstall it. 

What I was asking about, was the fact that in MC13, if I open MC13 normally, and then drag stuff to it for play, all is fine and well.   If I instead double click on the song, to play, or even open MC13 and play to start, I get the error about needing Admin/Power User permissions, and it fails!

Guess from your initial comment, hopefully MC14 will resolve this one...

WB3FFV

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 12:24:17 pm »

As a follow-up to all this, I decided to remove MC12 from the computer, after doing this, I can now launch songs and MC13 starts up fine.   

So somehow, even though MC13 was the default player, keeping MC12 on the machine was causing troubles..

Pages: [1]   Go Up