INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 13 and Everything Else Do Not Recognize DVD Drive  (Read 1088 times)

Ripper

• Junior Woodchuck
MC 13 and Everything Else Do Not Recognize DVD Drive
« on: July 04, 2009, 07:07:49 pm »

Several weeks ago, out of nowhere, MC 13, Windows Vista Ultimate (SP2), dbPoweramp, and everything else stopped recognizing the presence of an audio CD in my DVD drive.  My computer uses SATA DVD drive.  To isolate the problem, I replaced the stock HP DVD drive with a LiteOn iHAS422, but the same thing happens.  When I explore a CD in Windows, it shows each track as a 1-KB CDA file.  But when I try to open one of those files with a program--whether Windows Media Player, MC 13, or dbPoweramp--nothing is recognized.  For example, MC 13 will show "Audio CD" as the E drive, but it will show no tracks.  Clicking Play yields the message, "There is nothing to play."

Oddly, sometimes I can trick the computer into recognizing an audio CD.  I did that a couple of hours ago by trying to play one of the tracks in Windows.  MC 13 then kicked in and actually started playing the CD.  It even let me skip to track 2, which also played fine.  I then ran dbPoweramp, which recognize the CD to the point that it looked up its data online, even giving me the option to use it as a key disc.  (That gambit failed, however, for reasons I do not know.)  Then, I tried inserting a different audio CD, and once again everything went ga ga.  Yet again, nothing recognized this new CD, and now the computer will not recognize any audio CDs at all.

I tried running Microsoft's offical Fix It, which looks in the registry to elminate high keys and low keys, but it told me that the fix had already been implemented on my computer.

Anyway, I believe that I have eliminated any hardware problems (at least drive issues).  Any ideas how to get things back to normal?  The same thing happened many moons ago when I was using MC 12, but somehow things corrected themselves.

Thanks. :D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC 13 and Everything Else Do Not Recognize DVD Drive
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 04:42:21 pm »

That's a weird one.

If other programs aren't seeing the disc either, it sounds like a Windows problem.  You could try switching SATA port of the DVD drive to see if it makes a difference.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up