INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing iPod with Smartlists - Issues with custom field type?  (Read 1150 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Morning,

Firstly - apologies if this should go in the iPods section...but it's more of a MC/Smartlist "how-to" rather than an iPod-centric question....

Last week I upgraded my Media Center infrastructure to a multi client design whereby the main library is edited, updated and tagged on a server machine and those changes are "pushed" out to clients via automation so the same "library" is available on all client machines.

My wife and I enjoy our iPods a lot and are thrilled that we can finally say bye bye to the bloated world of iTunes and keep things up to date with the speedy world of MC13.

My question surrounds syncing up the iPods. Obviously our tastes are very different and thus so will be the music we want to take mobile. Also the master library (when fully pushed out) will easily outstrip the size of my wife's iPod for sure (30GB) and she certainly will not want to carry everything around. Neither will I - so I am turning to Smartlists as a way to quickly "filter" a subset of the library for my wife's iPod syncing and a subset for me.

So - I think I understand the concept - set up a custom field within the master library and create a Smartlist using that field value to create the sync listings.... so originally I thpught I would try a single "string" field called "Sync"...with a delimited selection listing containing my name and my wife's name...

As a test - I added the field and tagged one album with my name. Worked great. But when I highlight the field and check both my name and my wife's name (there will be albums/songs that we will both want to sync up) - the field appears blank after I hit Enter.

Am I doing something wrong here? It appears I cannot store multiple values in a string field? I thought a multi-select would put a semi-colon in between values?

Any tips on how you are using custom fields to sync via Smartlist would be appreciated.

Cheers!

VP

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Syncing iPod with Smartlists - Issues with custom field type?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 04:44:22 pm »

i dont know much about syncing ipods, but:
So - I think I understand the concept - set up a custom field within the master library and create a Smartlist using that field value to create the sync listings.... so originally I thpught I would try a single "string" field called "Sync"...with a delimited selection listing containing my name and my wife's name...

As a test - I added the field and tagged one album with my name. Worked great. But when I highlight the field and check both my name and my wife's name (there will be albums/songs that we will both want to sync up) - the field appears blank after I hit Enter.

Am I doing something wrong here? It appears I cannot store multiple values in a string field? I thought a multi-select would put a semi-colon in between values?
when i read this right, i think you should try a 'list (semicolon delimited)' instead of the 'string' for the datatype.

:)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up