INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Question - Creating Sub-Genres  (Read 1642 times)

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
Tagging Question - Creating Sub-Genres
« on: July 22, 2009, 11:59:06 pm »

My current setup for my library is genre/artist (grouped)/artist (name)/year - album.  I want to add a sub-genre and place the pane in between genre and artist so that one genre would breakdown into sub genres.  I just don't know how to create that kind of field. Can anyone help me on how to do that? 

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Tagging Question - Creating Sub-Genres
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 01:19:31 am »

I'm thinking this is not doable since no one responded. :( Well that's a shame for all of who are obsessive about our library management.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 11:49:13 am »

Well, doable depends partially on exactly how you want to set up your sub-genres.
If you're goal is to have two columns/tags/fields/panes, one being "Genre" and the other being "Sub-Genre" such that Track A can be set with a Genre of Rock and a Sub-Genre of Hard-Rock, then you simply need to make a custom field and call it "Sub-Genre".
Options->Library & Folders -> Manage Library Fields -> Add New Field.

If you're looking for something more complicated, then I would rephrase the statement
I want to add a sub-genre and place the pane in between genre and artist so that one genre would breakdown into sub genres.
in a more specific/exact manner. I'm not certain what you mean by that precisely. Nested fields might be what you're looking for. Try a forum search on that and see if anything looks useful.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 01:01:35 am »

I'm thinking this is not doable since no one responded. :( Well that's a shame for all of who are obsessive about our library management.

bunglemebaby gave you a good answer.  I'll describe the process of adding a field and using it in a pane.

I use a Sub_genre tag I created myself using Tools/Options/Library & folders.  I added values to that tag when I ripped my CDs. 

I could have filled out the Sub_genre field later.  Using MC 13's facilities to select files and sort them, I could add the values to a number of files at once.

I could then add a pane to any view I use  by right clicking on the view name in the Tree of views under Audio.  Choose "Customize View".  In the dialog that appears, add a pane in the "Show categories in this order" area.  Click on the Add button, select a field and then drag it up or down to change the order of the panes. (Top = leftmost, bottom = rightmost.)

You can also add new views so that you have a view with Genre, sub-genre and artist in addition to the one you now use without sub-genre.

What I have described can be found by exploring MC 13's menus and dialogs.

Bill

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 04:48:17 pm »

Tight! Thanks for the heads up on that!
Pages: [1]   Go Up