INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If Monkey Audio is a lossless encoder, why the different settings?  (Read 779 times)

BigMike

Pardon me for being a little confused, and I am sure there is a simple explaination, but I thought a lossless encoder meant the rip would sound just like the orginal. That being the case, then why does the Monkey Audio encoder have different quality settings? If the settings effect the audio quality, than you must lose something at the lower settings, and it is not a lossless encoder at that point. Lord, I'm getting myself more confused by the minute - someone explain how this all works please... :)

Vlad

RE:If Monkey Audio is a lossless encoder, why the different settings?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2002, 11:30:23 pm »

The settings are a bit like those for Winzip.  For audio encoding there are 3 conflicting attributes; encoding overhead, compression amount and decoding overhead.  Each of the settings gives a different mix of these attributes.  Eg. more compression but lots of CPU to decode.  They are all lossless however.

Download a copy of Monkey's Audio and check out the help file.  There is a table that details the impact of each option.

zevele1

RE:If Monkey Audio is a lossless encoder, why the different settings?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2002, 11:41:48 pm »

Here one answer: the settings are for the % of compression,NOT the quality of the sound
Let say that the standart % compression gives you fast encoding.
Other setting gives you a smaller file-but really just a little more
smaller-and takes much much time to encode

I asked about it not long ago.Search the forum,all the answers are in this post
Pages: [1]   Go Up