INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping the same library on two machines is not working as in MC13  (Read 1069 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Hi,

I have 2 PC in my home (say, MainServer and HTPC) and I like to keep the same library on both of these machines. I used to follow the following methodology to make sure that both machines have the same library and media files:

• On both machines, library is located in C:\Library directory. All the thumbnails are in C:\Library\tn directory. All the media files are in H:\ (~1TB of data).
  • There is a nightly sync batch file that copies C:\Library and H:\ from MainServer to HTPC (I do this using SyncToy so it transfers only the differences). Note that I do all my library editing on MainServer.

This used to work fine in MC13. If I add a new audio album on MainServer and then perform the sync - the new album will show up in HTPC library. However, with MC14, that is not happening. The only way for MC14 on HTPC to see the new album is for me to delete that library from Library Manager and then create it again.

Is there any reason, why this may be happening?

Thanks,
Osho

PS: one may wonder why do I use Library Backup or Library Server. I don't use Library Server because it doesn't work for DVDs in VIDEO_TS folder format. I don't use Library Backup because I have other data on H:\ that I like to back-up anyways. And, I am not sure if Library Backup works for DVDs in VIDEO_TS folder format.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
Re: Keeping the same library on two machines is not working as in MC13
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:46:13 pm »

I don't know if it matters or not, but here are few additional details.

• MainServer is Vista-64. HTPC is XP professional.
  • Both machines' MC versions are the same.
  • Sync is only performed when MC is not running on either machine

Thanks,
Osho

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:23:38 pm »

You need to make sure the program and media server are closed when you hand-copy in a library like that.

My guess is media server is running while you do the copy outside the program, but let me know if that doesn't explain it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:33:41 pm »

You need to make sure the program and media server are closed when you hand-copy in a library like that.

My guess is media server is running while you do the copy outside the program, but let me know if that doesn't explain it.

I do not see any icon in the system tray showing that media server is running on either machines. Also, note that if I delete the library in the Library Manager that points to C:\Library on HTPC machine and then recreate a new library that points to the same location C:\Library then I can see the albums addition.

Thanks,
Osho
Pages: [1]   Go Up