INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Developers - Any plans with WAV Tags?  (Read 1846 times)

Coolhighend

• Recent member
Developers - Any plans with WAV Tags?
« on: September 09, 2009, 03:46:43 pm »

WAV tags are meanwhile supported by different programs, such as Media Monkey, DBPoweramp and others. I preferably would like to rip my CD's with DBPoweramp. It writes WAV tags perfectly into the ripped file, but JRMediacenter does not read these tags, neither does it write tags to WAV files when i rip them wit JR. It is a lot of work to add the information manually into the library. And if the library goes dead - imagine the mess.

And yes, I do want to rip to WAV, I clearly notice differences between WAV and other formats as FLAC, APE etc., but this should not be the discussion here.

Would be very happy to get some feedback.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Developers - Any plans with WAV Tags?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 03:56:00 pm »

WAV files don't support any type of standard tags.

APE and FLAC both output the exact same bits as a WAV file except that they add tagging and error detection.  There simply can not be an audible difference when the bits delivered to the audio engine are identical.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Coolhighend

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 09:08:27 am »

Matt, thank you very much for your fast replay. You probably are not aware that there is a standard for WAV tags, although it is more commonly used in the broadcast environment.

Maybe, you want to have a look here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_Wave_Format

Some of your competitors have started to read and write these tags within the last months, as it greatly improves the file handling building libraries.

To keep your product competitive, I suggest you download a trial version of dbpoweramp and rip a CD as WAV. To check the compatibility of the tags, use another program to check them, for example AudioShell.

We are building Audio Media Computers for the most exigent clients regarding audio quality. Our products are monitored with the most sophisticated equipment. Please understand that they do not accept any kind of compression.

I do not really want to discuss further the differences of lossless audio compressions. But I really would like to use MC, it is a wonderful product.

Instead, I give you another example of sound alteration that cannot be. Do you know that most of our clients are rejecting MC using the ASIO plugin for playout with the hardware we use (Lynx AES16). The sound is simply inferior to another media product that uses another plugin. ASIO is bittransparent, there can't be a differnce but there is on, a huge one. And did you know that your WASAPI is simply gorgeous and that there is a huge difference to your ASIO plugin. WASAPI is bittransparent as well there can't be any differences, or can there be... give yourself a try.

However, there should not be the discussion what is good or better. Please give the concerned music lovers the possibility to use WAV tags. I do not want to be forced to use other media products than yours, JR simply rocks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 09:29:31 am »

Matt, thank you very much for your fast replay. You probably are not aware that there is a standard for WAV tags, although it is more commonly used in the broadcast environment.

Maybe, you want to have a look here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_Wave_Format

I was not aware of the iXML RIFF chunk.  Since WAV files are just a series of chunks, adding another chunk makes sense.

Is the RIFF chunk generally stored at the head or tail of the file?  Is padding used to avoid extra file rewrites?

I see this as an example:
http://www.gallery.co.uk/ixml/iXML_Example.html

It doesn't define 'standard' fields, so it seems like a bit of a grab-bag how to map fields.  For example, how should 'Date' or 'Album Artist' be stored?

The ASIO issue you're having sounds like a driver bug or configuration problem.  It probably deserves a thread of its own if you're interested.

Coolhighend

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 10:09:24 am »

I am not a programmer myself, so I do not know exactly what you would need for an implementation. Maybe something like that:
http://www.ibs.org.uk/press/pressoffice/Draft%20IBS%20iXML%20proposal.pdf
or there is a lot of information here:
http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/publications/userguides/bwf_user_guide.php
Matt, it would simply be great having WAV tags with JR!

Coolhighend

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 02:58:50 am »

Matt, I am sure you are busy with many projects. As WAV Tagging is quite important for me and other audiophiles, I just would like to know if you are planning to support it in the future and if yes, what time frame you need?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 09:31:02 am »

It's on the list, and I think Yaobing is looking at it.

No promises about dates yet.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up