INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Feature request: Plugins that can be added to context menus  (Read 1657 times)

tjobbins

• World Citizen
MC Feature request: Plugins that can be added to context menus
« on: September 11, 2009, 06:21:09 pm »

I'd like to add a feature request for integrated UI plugins.  By this I mean the ability  to add plugins to the context menus, such as Library Tools.

I have several ideas for plugins, but to be most useful I would like them accessible from the context menus.  With this facility, it would be easy to add features like Regular Expression search and replace which I would love to have.  I know this could be implemented with a traiditonal plugin, but it loses the power and flexbility of being able to select the tracks you want, rather than having to re-filter for them in a separate screen.

I would think (hope) that this wouldn't be too difficult to implement.  At first it could be limited such that you can only add plugins to certain set menus,  with Library Tools being my choice.   Then when the plugin is selected in the menu, MC creates a dialogue box and displays the plugin UI inside it, and passes to the plugin some object that defines the selected items which the plugin can then iterate through to do whatever its task is.

I think adding this sort of power will further increase plugin development because there are a lot of useful tasks that could be added which would greatly benefit from being able to run like internal MC tools do.

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC Feature request: Plugins that can be added to context menus
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 04:55:39 am »

I'd like to add a feature request for integrated UI plugins.  By this I mean the ability  to add plugins to the context menus, such as Library Tools.

I have several ideas for plugins, but to be most useful I would like them accessible from the context menus.  With this facility, it would be easy to add features like

[...]

I think adding this sort of power will further increase plugin development because there are a lot of useful tasks that could be added which would greatly benefit from being able to run like internal MC tools do.

+1

Yes, There are some obvious UI API functions missing from the plugin framework. These missing features severely restrict what can be done from the plugin perspective.

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 12:00:40 pm »

Please add my support for this feature. I want to parse filenames into multiple keywords, as in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54950.0

[Album]-[Keywords]-[Keywords]
----------------------------------
  Jupiter-Io-Transit.tif
  Jupiter-Io-Volcano.tif
  Jupiter-Callisto-Transit.tif
----------------------------------
  Io;Transit
  Io;Volcano
  Callisto;Transit

I could put the files into a playlist, but that's cumbersome compared to an extensible context menu.

It could be simple to implement and use: extend GetPlaylists() with a parameter for "Current Selection" rather than an existing playlist. When the registered plug-in is selected from the context menu, MC could create a temp playlist and invoke the plug-in, retaining the list until released by the plug-in.

Edit: I agree with tjobbins. "Library Tools" seems the proper home for Context Menu Plug-ins.

It seems like a lot of creative benefit could come from this.

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 06:39:13 am »

I second that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up