INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Behavior of user-defined tags of type "List"  (Read 1924 times)

tranglos

• Recent member
Behavior of user-defined tags of type "List"
« on: October 02, 2009, 09:34:27 pm »

(New user, just registered after using the Jukebox version for a while).

If I create a custom tag of the "list" type, and specify several permitted values, can more than one value be assigned to a track, or are these values exclusive?

Explanation: I created a custom tag called Type, as a list with values such as: studio, live, bootleg, rare. I thought I would be able to tag tracks with more than one value, e.g. "bootleg; live" or "studio; rare". (This would let me tag files much faster than by creating many custom tags.) In the tag pane, these values are displayed with checkboxes next to them. Checkboxes imply that multiple elements can be selected. However, when I try to select more than one, MC clears all the values instead. So if a track is already tagged as Type=live, then MC allows me to also check "bootleg", but then, instead of saving, it clears both values. As a result the Type tag for this track is now empty.

If only one value can be selected from a list, that's fine, but using checkboxes seems a little confusing. Radio buttons would make it immediately clear that the selection is exclusive. But perhaps multiple selections are indeed possible, and I just don't know how to use them :)

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Behavior of user-defined tags of type "List"
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 12:20:41 am »

So if a track is already tagged as Type=live, then MC allows me to also check "bootleg", but then, instead of saving, it clears both values. As a result the Type tag for this track is now empty.

If you're seeing checkboxes, then it must be a list field. You should be able to add another value to existing ones by checking it. Are you sure you're not entering a new value and expecting it to be added to the existing ones? It doesn't work that way. To add "bootleg" to "live" change "live" to "live;bootleg." Once this has been done for one record, "bootleg" will appear in the drop-down list for all records—so you can add it by selecting it's checkbox.

tranglos

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 10:52:27 am »

If you're seeing checkboxes, then it must be a list field. You should be able to add another value to existing ones by checking it. Are you sure you're not entering a new value and expecting it to be added to the existing ones? It doesn't work that way. To add "bootleg" to "live" change "live" to "live;bootleg." Once this has been done for one record, "bootleg" will appear in the drop-down list for all records—so you can add it by selecting it's checkbox.

Hi Rick, thanks for replying. I am not sure if I understand the difference between the two procedures you are describing. I've created a few screenshots to illustrate what is happening:

Step 1. The custom tag is defined ad a list with four elements. One of the values is already selected for an album:

Step 2. I now want to mark the album also as "live", so I will click another checkbox:

Step 3. Instead of saving the values, MC has cleared both of them (all checkboxes are deselected):

The end result is the same, if all boxes are initially clear, and I check two of them at the same time. MC still clears the whole tag. The value is retained only as long as I select only one checkbox in the list (or none).

gappie

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 11:04:02 am »

interesting behaviour, just to be sure. in the library the edit type for that field is "standard" ?

:)
gab

tranglos

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 11:21:42 am »

interesting behaviour, just to be sure. in the library the edit type for that field is "standard" ?

gab

Yes, it's "standard".

On edit: Of course selecting multiple checkboxes works fine in dialog boxes for configuring smartlist filters, etc. This is why I'm guessing that multiple selections are simply not supported when tagging files. But in that case radiobuttons should be used instead, or at least MC should uncheck a previously selected checkbox when another one gets checked. (Or show an error message, but that would be an easy way out :) )

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 11:27:41 am »

So, the field is a list type field with standard editing. I'm certain the issues are being caused by the "Acceptable Values" settings.

The thing with that is that MC saves the field data like so:

bootleg - Is an acceptable value as per your list
bootleg;live - Is not on your "Acceptable Values" list and so will not be allowed.

Whether or not it's a bug is a grey area, and I'm sure the majority of users would say bug. Untill you get a definitive answer from JRiver, your solution is to remove the "Acceptable Values" limitations from the field.

-marko.

gappie

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 11:31:20 am »

On edit: Of course selecting multiple checkboxes works fine in dialog boxes for configuring smartlist filters, etc. This is why I'm guessing that multiple selections are simply not supported when tagging files. But in that case radiobuttons should be used instead, or at least MC should uncheck a previously selected checkbox when another one gets checked. (Or show an error message, but that would be an easy way out :) )
no, it should work, its what a lot of people do. and i just tried with a custom list field i use myself and it works. so the question is why it does not work for you. when you put that custom list field inside the view and use f2 to edit it, does that make a difference. maybe its also an idea to upgrade to the new version at the top of the forum.

gab

edit: i think marko is right, good thinking.

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 02:49:12 pm »

Whether or not it's a bug is a grey area, and I'm sure the majority of users would say bug.

I don't see any grey. If selecting two acceptable values is unacceptable, I'd say the program logic is unacceptable. ;)

tranglos

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 10:15:56 am »

Bump. It would be great to hear from the developers on this. And yes, the effect is the same when editing the custom tag via F2 in the view pane.

MusicHawk

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 01:26:52 pm »

Maybe the difference is this:

If I define/customize a field to accept a List, but do not enter any Acceptable Values, when tagging a track I can type in whatever I want in that field (limited only by the track's data type). Once added to at least one track, these values then always appear in that field's pick-list so I can easily select them for other tracks. (I find this to be MC's most valuable feature because I use Lists and custom fields extensively.)

However, if in the field definition I DO enter one or more Acceptable Values, it prevents adding more when tagging. I can type in something else but it is discarded. For example, I have a RecSource custom field with these Acceptable Values: CD;LP;45;EP;DL;CS;AT;78;TV;VT;DV;AC -- and these are the only values I can choose. If I type in something else then leave the field, it goes to blank.

Side note: Before adding lots of custom List fields, consider that the standard Keywords field can be used for many different things, even intermixed. Just consider whether MC expressions can be used to extract the desired values.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 02:47:11 pm »

Maybe the difference is this...

The objection is not to the "Acceptable Values" function itself, but the behaviour whereby adding another acceptable value to existing ones results in all being deleted. It's a bug.
Pages: [1]   Go Up