INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod support  (Read 2717 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
iPod support
« on: October 11, 2009, 09:47:14 am »

The iPod support discussion is relevant to the viability of a Mac version of MC.  MC will never take a foothold in the Mac ecosystem without a viable way to work with Apples portable devices.  For MC to work in the Mac ecosystem it will need the following:
  • Ability to sync to Apple's devices (iPod, AppleTV, Airport, etc) either natively (which we know won't happen soon) or via iTunes (which JRiver seems to reject out of hand).
  • Full support for AAC (including tagging).
  • Hooks for Apple's scripting language(s).

Additional Edit:
To reach the 4000 mark, JRiver is asking us to be evangalists.  If I go to the people in the Mac community that have this type of outreach/influence with MC lacking native support for AAC or any ability to 'play nice' with Apples portable device ecosystem - it would be dismissed without much thought (even though the overall feature set is better than iTunes).  Applescipt support would be the icing on the cake, but not required out of the gate.  The Mac community generally dislikes iTunes, but tolerates it since it is a necessary tool in their ecosystem.

If JRiver would commit to support of the Apple ecosystem via the iTunes APIs and native AAC support than I will both buy a license and shout the news to and from every mountaintop I can find.  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: iPod support
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 12:34:06 pm »

The iPod support discussion is relevant to the viability of a Mac version of MC. 
It isn't a discussion of viability.  It's a test of how much interest there is in a Mac version.

Apparently, you would not order one if MC were the same program it is now.  That's OK. 

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 08:57:29 pm »

I understand that, but in order to be successful for JRiver to fully support iPods, iPhones, and iTouches, sometimes competition needs to be created. Which is why it would be nice to see them to show the kind of capabilities we can have on mobile devices when it first comes on the Mac (if they do come out on the mac).

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 10:05:04 pm »

It isn't a discussion of viability.  It's a test of how much interest there is in a Mac version.

Apparently, you would not order one if MC were the same program it is now.  That's OK. 

I guess 'viability' isn't the right word since we are talking about a non-existent product (MC for the Mac), but I don't think MC in it's current form will get to 4000 Mac purchasers.  The kind of people you would need to get exited in the product for widespread interest in the Apple community will dismiss it due to total lack of native AAC support and the ability to work with the iPhone and iPod Touch.  Both of these items could be added to the current product.  If AAC requires an additional cost, why not make it an optional 'for fee' plug in - similar to the way many video editing programs support extra cost codecs.  And the inclusion of these things would make MC a better product in the PC world too.

D.gaump

• Recent member
iPod support
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 07:29:38 pm »

Im in need of a new iPod. Ive started to rip every CD in my collection to my iPod 80GB and Im under a gig now. Does anyone know what the next iPod classic size will be and will be released? perhaps a 250GB?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 10:13:44 am »

Im in need of a new iPod. Ive started to rip every CD in my collection to my iPod 80GB and Im under a gig now. Does anyone know what the next iPod classic size will be and will be released? perhaps a 250GB?

They just released the latest 160gb iPod Classic a couple of months back, so I would not anticipate any changes for a long time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up