INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mb + cpu combo for 0db HTPC  (Read 3708 times)

robydago

• Citizen of the Universe
mb + cpu combo for 0db HTPC
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:53:23 am »

MB: Intel FlyCreek DG45FC (integrated HD HDMI video card)
CPU Intel Celeron 430 1.8GHz (35W !!)

What do you think?
Is that enough power for MC14 theater view and HD video playing?
Or should I buy a more powerful CPU? But keep in mind that I'm looking for a fanless system, so I choose that Celeron CPU only because any better CPU would run at  65W

The full system I want to build, with 4GB ram and 64GB solid state hd, is the following (in Italy I can get it for approx. 600 euros):

- 1x MB Intel FlyCreek - G45 Express Chipset - DG45FC
- 1x CPU Intel Celeron 430 1.8GHz Socket 775
- 1x fanless CPU heatsink Silverstone NT01-E
- 4x 1024MB DDR2 PC6400 800MHz CAS5 Kingston KHX6400D2/1G
- 1x Hard Disk 2.5'' Solid State Disk, 64GB SATA Kingston SNV125-S2BD/64GB
- 1x Case mini-ITX fanless Silverstone PT09B-120 Petit Series 120W Black
- 1x DVD writer Sony Optiarc AD-7670S Slim Slot-in SATA BlackBulk

Roberto D.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: mb + cpu combo for 0db HTPC
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 11:46:16 am »

I just built a htpc on Saturday and it is smokin' fast.  But it isn't perfect.  Everything is fanless except the case--and I could unplug those fans.  However, I will have to examine things before I consider doing that.

Mine has a 64GB SSD (very good deal)
4GB DDR2
Typical Core2 Duo
Fanless high-durability motherboard
Fanless HD Radeon 4800 series.
Fanless 400 watt power supply.

Everything about this is seriously powerful and will play anything I can throw at it with ease.  The MC interface is set at highest quality and just flies.  It cost around $1,000.  The case I got is a thick steel case which is just amazing as well.  It looks as good as nice HT components and has several nice additions--ability to turn on from IR remote (physical connection to motherboard power switch).  Tight inside but perfect size to look at once assembled.

I have a good feeling that about anything you build will be able to perform well.  Of course quiet is becoming the main goal on these systems as far as I'm concerned.  I am also trying to overbuild these going forward because that will mean that the next bump in resolution or quality probably won't require me to build a whole new system.

I asked about using an onboard video card but got no response so I will be interested in hearing about that or you actually trying this.  You'll probably get nearly the same real experience as I have with a lot less heat, cost, power, etc...but of course now that I think about it, we have a cordless mouse/keyboard combo and use this system as a computer as well so I could actually see using this for 3D games from time to time.  Starcraft 2!!!!  Can't wait!

robydago

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 02:40:03 pm »

Benn,
exactly which "Typical Core2 Duo" cpu are you running fanless?

As for unplugging those fans, you should try to do that during the hottest days of the year. That would be the "final"... test of your system reliability.

In the end the system I'd like to build is not that different from your system (64GB SSD, 4GB, etc.). The real differences are the video card (Radeon 4800 vs. Intel X4500HD) and the cpu ("Typical Core2 Duo" vs. Intel Celeron 430 1.8GHz)

To be on the safe side, I'd prefer to buy a more powerful system like yours, but I'm really worried that it could not reliably run fanless, especially during our hot summer  (up to 40 °C)!

Ciao

benn600

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 04:25:42 pm »

I don't know...people are always worried about reliability and problems and such but I just never seem to have problems with equipment failure.  Oh well, everyone prepare to laugh out loud when I regret saying that.

I'm using the Intel Core2 Duo E7600 3.06GHz.  It includes a stock heat sink that is surprisingly thin compared to what I am used to.  Anyway, I am going to install the fanless heat sink now because I received the fanless power supply.  The fanless heatsink is about 6 or more times the size of the stock heat sink (with no fans).

benn600

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 06:21:29 pm »

How possible is a truly fanless system?  I finished switching out the cpu/power supply with fanless products and, as I was half thinking, it isn't a whole lot quieter.  There is no doubt that it could be lived with but the ultimate goal is approaching zero deciels.

In my particular case, the question is how can I safely test this system fanless?  Is there a software product that can monitor all available temperatures?  CPU, video card, motherboard, etc.  Then, I could just unplug the 4 fans in the case and watch the temperatures as I performed various activities.  Of course the components are all independently fanless so you would think that it would be possible to run the whole system that way--MAYBE.  I understand that if enough heat is generated, it can't really disperse inside of a tight case.  Of course this is not a tight case, better described as a medium sized case.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:05:18 pm »

depends on how much money you want to spend.

benn600

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 10:05:00 am »

depends on how much money you want to spend.

This is answering what?  Is everything commercial not like that?

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 01:00:02 pm »

I think that spending $500/600 or so for any kind of home system, media center included, is just plain silly.  MC runs just fine on a dual core clocked at under 2Gz.  If you add a reasonably accelerated video card and sound hardware that is *really* hardware and not software-emulated, you might be able to go with a slower/cooler CPU.

Fast CPUs, multi-disk setups, loads of ram all cost money, generate heat, and require noisy fans to cool.  Anyone can take 3Gz parts and fans to make a PC system.  It's an art and a skill to realize that for a given application or appliance (and a media center is a very specific application), one probably does not require the fastest and hottest (or just faster and hotter, it IS a matter of degrees) components around.  I'm of the opinion that the discipline necessary to build minimalist systems that run very cool and very quiet is of greater value than the knowledge that may be used to build faster/hotter machines.

Eliminate unnecessary heat by down-rating your components and you eliminate cooling noise.

benn600

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 09:17:32 pm »

I want the ability to run the latest games if I ever decide to.  My system is not far from 0db and with tweaks, I have tons of power and silence.

Daydream

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 12:22:24 am »

Games and 0db. Isn't that a conflict of interests?
With this kind of targets in mind you can watercool it and put the pump in another room! ;)

Another thing - I don't know how soon but I'd guess soon - you'll prefer a different graphic card, an Ati 5xxx. It does bitstream lossless codecs, and there are people hard at work to create a version of ffdshow that will work with Ati. So one won't need PowerDVD or the likes to play ripped Blu-Rays and bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA. Plus less power than the 4xxx line. There's not a fanless model out yet as far as I can see but a 5770 is ~$159 and a 5750 is ~$129. May be worth checking / replacing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up