INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Show .mkv movie file sizes?  (Read 12246 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
Show .mkv movie file sizes?
« on: October 14, 2009, 06:14:41 am »

I've imported my 150 .mkv movies into MC14 and have manually added in the tags for genre and IMDB rating, is there a way for MC14 to show the movie sizes like 1920 x 1080?

Thanks
TC

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Show .mkv movie file sizes?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 06:50:52 am »

The Dimensions field is supposed to show that info. Doesn't it work with your files and your DirectShow filter combination?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 07:12:56 am »

No, the dimension fields are not being filled in, it shows duration, file size and bit rate of the movie but not it's dimensions, very weird.

TC  ?

Daydream

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 02:44:11 pm »

I don't have even a single Blu-ray ripped to mkv where the dimensions show up right. They don't show up at all (regardless of forced updates, etc) or show up as 2048x1080. Rather curious considering everything was put together with mkvmerge and there is nothing better than that.
For TV clips (music, etc) there is also some alternating between 1080 and 1088 (I understand the reason for that but shouldn't there a workaround in place to make things consistent?).

And the field is not editable.

gappie

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 02:57:22 pm »

all my newer mkv files dont show the dimension. maybe i lost it, because the codec settings before did not want to make screenshots, and i changed something. now it takes screen shots but no dimensions or something like that. for me not important, just checked it because of this thread. the old ones do have dimensions though, and i took screenshots in that time also.. non of my ifo and dvd files show a dimension, or duration, something that does bother me.

codex = no fun

:)
gab

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 03:11:44 pm »

Isn't it more of a windows thing, I thought I read somewhere that because windows doesn't recognize all of the .mkv codec, is why dimensions aren't shown for these kinds of files.

For me seeing the dimensions of my movies , example 1280 x 720, is important because I can keep track of what movies need to be upgraded to 1920 x 1080 for a better viewing experience.

I have manual inserted a 720p or 1080p tag for each movie in the aspect ration field which works i guess for me, but it still bothers me, lol.

TC  ?

gappie

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 03:32:08 pm »

maybe its a windows thing, but im talking about the same windows xp installation. and it are the two important factors (for me) windows and mc, and in between a bunch of factors to get videoos to work. and i think non of them is to blame, wxp, mc or cccp, nor am i. its just too much variables that influence video reading and playing, and i guess that that is the problem for the programmers too.

gab

Daydream

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 04:44:21 pm »

Then why on the same Window install (Win 7) things look like this in other apps:

MediaInfo:

Code: [Select]
Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 3 frames
Muxing mode                      : Container profile=Unknown@0.0
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                         : 1h 50mn
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Resolution                       : 24 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Progressive
Title                            : Kill Bill Vol. I
Language                         : English

GraphStudio:

1920x1080 everywhere. Why it shows 2048x1080 in MC is a mystery to me. 2048 is not a multiple of anything, be it AR or anything else.

gappie

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 04:53:42 pm »

Then why ..

if that is a reaction to my post then i dont understand the 'then'... or do you mean that i am to blame?  ;)

Daydream

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 05:07:19 pm »

Well no,... wait - yes!, wait... err... say what?! *puff* too many variables, can't compile anymore :D

gappie

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 05:35:49 pm »

Well no,... wait - yes!, wait... err... say what?! *puff* too many variables, can't compile anymore :D
btw..
1920=15X128
2048=16X128
no idea if it has something to do with it..

gab

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 05:33:35 am »

I got a similar problem. I get the dimensions most of the time. A bit unexpected values though. The thing the bothers me is that the duration is not populated. Running W7 + CCCP and CoreAVC for mkv.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Daydream

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 02:59:03 pm »

In the representation of a Matroska file there is a section called 'Track'. That section has information regarding each track within the file, including PixelWidth and PixelHeight for video. Are those being read in MC?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 05:05:46 pm »

In the representation of a Matroska file there is a section called 'Track'. That section has information regarding each track within the file, including PixelWidth and PixelHeight for video. Are those being read in MC?

No, we are not reading the files directly.  All information is from DirectShow filter graph.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 06:54:19 pm »

My MKVs appear to be showing up correctly...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Daydream

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 07:29:15 pm »

My MKVs appear to be showing up correctly...

Can you please describe the filespecs and decoding chain for such an mkv that works ok for you?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 10:13:44 am »

I have CCCP (the current version) installed, along with CoreAVC Pro (which handles decoding all of my MPEG-4 AVC/ASP content).  And that is absolutely it.  I do not install ANYTHING else that I do not need.  I am also now just about 100% on Windows 7 (not counting my Macs).  I did have to "hack" Windows 7 to allow CoreAVC to handle decoding duties of my MPEG-4 content (the Windows 7 RTM uses it's own decoder and it is tough to get it to go away).

The file specs are somewhat varying, but the vast majority of them were created by me with AutoMKV (and now HDConvertToX).  They're x264-compressed (high-profile) MKVs with either AC3 or AAC audio, and occasionally subtitles included (but usually not).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Daydream

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 03:05:58 pm »

The file specs are somewhat varying, but the vast majority of them were created by me with AutoMKV (and now HDConvertToX). They're x264-compressed (high-profile) MKVs with either AC3 or AAC audio, and occasionally subtitles included (but usually not).

So, they are not Blu-rays backups? I would like to see proof that a 1920x1080 file coming straight from a Blu-Ray, packed in an mkv container, is reported as 1920x1080 in MC. That never happens for me. We are almost entirely on the same boat (Win7 x64, MS codecs blasted to hell) only that I use MPC video Decoder for hardware acceleration. Tried CoreAVC as well, everything plays fine like that also, but dimensions are still coming out wrong.

As a different idea, wouldn't it be possible to pick video dimensions reported by Haali Splitter, same as the Chapters are being picked up?

gdusil

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 02:58:51 pm »

I've had this problem since v12 - whereby the fields for video files: width, height, duration and bitrate fields were not populating (maybe there are others, but those were the ones I was tracking in my database).  I found the same issue in v13, and I'm now testing v14 over the next 30 days.  I didn't buy the upgrade to v13 due to this issue, and now hesitate to upgrade to v14 for the same reason.

I took Yaobing's advise in the "Video Duration" thread which suggested to update CCCP and then to reset all settings:
Start > All Programs > Combined Community Codec Pack > Settings, on the second page of the wizard, you can check "Reset all settings" and "Re-Register Filters" checkboxes.

This solved the problem for a few video files (5% or so):  But only duration and bitrate were then populated on those files, but width and height still remained blank on all of them.  I even tried "Update Library (from tags)", but the fields still did not populate.  All said files play fine in MC.

Furthermore, I have thousands of avi and mkv files, and I can't seem to isolate the issue as to why certain avi files, or certain mkv files show width, height, duration and bitrate data, while others do not.  My files range from small frames, all the way to blue ray sizes.  Finally, I tried reimporting files into v14 to see if that would solve the issue (vs. restoring a backup from v13 or v12), but that also didn't work.

Please help. :(

gdusil

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 04:53:04 pm »

I see that this thread is dead, but I'll add my update here in any case:

I used to use gspot to catalog my collection into an Excel file, with loads of tag data, but gspot doesn't work with MKV, so I'm trying to get MC to do the same (without success yet)

To start with, I have around 8000 video files, ranging in NTSC, PAL, and 1080p sizes.  75% of the collection is in AVI and 25% in MKV. I run CCCP, and use WXP.

Recently I found that when I have a fresh MC running, and I select several files and then "Update Library (from tags)" then many of the files will populate the Width, Height, Duration and Bitrate fields (maybe other tags update, but I only track these).   I usually know when the file is populating when the "Please Wait..." window has a slow running ticker (1 of 25, 2 of 25, etc.).  But once the ticker starts to go fast then I know that nothing is happening.  Anyway, what I found is that when the files no longer update the fields, then I exit out of MC and then load it back up, and run  "Update Library (from tags)" again.  And it then works for a short while (maybe 30 to 300 files or so).  I always have to select a small number of files, in order for it to work.  And I find that when it stops working for one file, then it won't work for any subsequent file until I exit and load MC again.  So I did this around 30 times (exit and reloading MC), to try to get the entire collection updated.  And I successfully tagged around 7000 files.  But I now find that there are around 800 videos which refuse to update the fields (so 10% of the collection is left, which is better than when I started out).  What is even more suspect is that from these 800 files, some of the fields will update, but then when I exit and go back into MC, then the updates are lost (even after repeated tries).

So I'm trying to read through the forums what could be the issue, and I can't figure out why some file tags update and others do not. From these files which refuse to update the tags:
- some are MKV (with H.264 video ranging from PAL, NTSC or HD)
- some are AVI (with XVID videos in PAL or NTSC sizes)
- File sizes are anywhere from 40MB to 10GB in size

So I can't find the common denominator in these files which prevents the tags from being saved.

MrHaugen

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 04:34:44 am »

This is a pretty annoying "bug". I hope you can find the time to look at it again Yaobing.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up