INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File Renaming Directory Problem  (Read 1138 times)

Scar3crow

• Recent member
File Renaming Directory Problem
« on: October 21, 2009, 02:15:06 am »

Hi guys, first time using this forum, but bear with me!

I've recently noticed that Media Center 14 has been moving some of my files incorrectly.

To start, here are some examples of my (ideal) directory structure for my music:

"E:\[ Music ]\[ English etc ]\[Artist]\[Album]\file"
"E:\[ Music ]\[ Randoms ]\file"

Note: for the first and second directories, I have used hard brackets with spaces: [ text ].

If I try to use MC's "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function to move a file (with the "Directories" box checked, 'Base Path' set to "E:\[ Music ]\[ Randoms ]\"), it ends up putting the files in their own folders, with any spaces between the opening hard bracket and the text missing, like so:

"E:\[Music ]\[Randoms ]\[Artist]\[Album]\file"

It also makes this mistake with downloaded Podcasts, putting them in "E:\[Music ]\Podcasts\feed name\file" as opposed to "E:\[ Music ]\Podcasts\feed name\file"

I've been able to manually fix most of these using the "Find & Replace" option in the RM&C dialogue, but it does get a bit annoying needing to do this quite often.

Maybe I'm just missing some really simple setting that I've set incorrectly, but I can't seem to find anything in my settings that would cause this to happen.

Thanks in advance, hopefully somebody can help me shed some light on this. If I haven't explained something, or anything needs clarifying, please let me know!

-------------------------------------------

Media Center 14.0.71 Registered -- D:\Program Files\Media\Media Center 14\

Microsoft Windows Vista 6.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
Intel Core 2 2664 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2094 MB, Free - 733 MB

Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18813 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.6001 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.6002 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.6002 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive V:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 100
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  No burners found.
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active/Enabled)

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: File Renaming Directory Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 02:53:32 am »

welcom :)
the problem is, i guess the hardbracket and the space, they are interpreted as code or something like that.
you could try:
E:\/[ Music ]\/[ Randoms ]\
the / cancels the interpretation by mc of the [
that seems to work for me. just try one or two first.

:)
gab

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 03:55:08 am »

Yes, / can used for inserting characters that would otherwise be interpreted as a part of an expression rule.

Perhaps

E:\/[ Music /]\/[ Randoms /]\

would be even more correct, but probably a closing square bracket alone is not a part of any defined expression and works as well also without the / character.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Scar3crow

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 04:05:14 am »

Thanks guys, that worked great, just what I needed. The closing bracket doesn't seem to cause the same problem, but I'll keep that in mind if it ever does.

I figured the hard bracket might be causing the problem like that, but didn't know how to solve it without changing my entire folder structure.

Much appreciated! :D

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 10:14:07 am »

I've run into a similar problem. This only started with v14. I didn't have this problem with v13 or earlier.

Folder rule: [Album Artist]\[Album]
Filename rule: [Track#]-[Name]

The song 'Go Jake', which is the 2nd track on Bill Frisell's Nashville album is stored like this:

D:\Bill Frisell\Nashville\02-Go Jake.flac

However, the song 'Crazy', which is the 9th track on Bill Frisell's East/West (Disc 2) album is stored like this:

D:\Bill Frisell\East\West Disc 2\09-Crazy.flac

When it was ripped with v13, it was:

D:\Bill Frisell\East_West Disc 2\09-Crazy.flac

What happened to the function that handles the '/' character? It used to convert it to an '_' underscore. I searched 'Options' but could no longer find anything related to how MC manages special characters. I could swear there was a control in v13.

gappie

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:24:37 am »

i just called disk 1 east and disk 2 west (or VV, should check that).. just ordered nashville.. great player.

but: maybe the / problem is 'repaired' with version 79:
13. Changed: Forward slashes in fields no longer output a new directory when using Rename, Move, & Copy Files.

you should try it.

:)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up