INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC replaygain to WMP volume leveling  (Read 7412 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
MC replaygain to WMP volume leveling
« on: November 04, 2009, 03:21:10 am »

I'm trying to figure out where Windows Media Player saves the value for what it calls "Volume Leveling", basically it version of replaygain.  I have my entire library in MC but am sharing my files with someone else in the house that insists on using WMP.  I only give him read-only access to the files because I don't want WMP touching my tags.  So I'm trying to figure out how to copy the replaygain tag value to whatever tag WMP uses to store its value.  Does anyone have any idea of WMP handles this?

Thanks

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: MC replaygain to WMP volume leveling
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 05:44:15 am »

I'm not replying to your main question but, I'll ask
Doesn't WMP destroy your cover art, even with read-only access?
(Unless you store art in the file and don't use "folder.jpg")

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 08:24:59 am »

(Unless you store art in the file and don't use "folder.jpg")

This is the ONLY way to fly. I never use exterior files and never allow any "folder.jpg" to exist. For those rare times that I actually use WMP to play something...it's been all good.

justsomeguy

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 02:18:11 pm »

Well I'm not too familiar with using WMP but I did some testing and it doesn't seem to be messing up my album art.  There's an option some where in WMP that says to update files with info from the internet and that is unchecked and it doesn't appear to be changing anything in the files them selves as the modify dates on the files never change.  It appears WMP will create folder.jpg and AlbumArtSmall.jpg though if they don't already exist.  If they do exist already it appears that it just uses the existing ones.  This is WMP 12, so maybe earlier versions handled things different.

To my original question, I spent a few hours on google trying to find out where WMP stores it's "Volume Leveling" data.  I know it is in the files tag and found someone that said it uses tags called "AverageLevel".  So I tried adding a custom field in MC to read that value but MC just shows that tag with no value in it.  I'm not sure maybe I'm setting up the custom field in MC wrong.

EDIT:
I just went back and looked, the post about "AverageLevel" being the tag WMP uses was from the year 1996. So that was obviously an older version of WMP.  They may or may not have change how they are storing that info.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 02:44:16 pm »

Replay Gain is the defacto standard here.  JRiver has supported it for eight years.

Maybe you could ask Microsoft to support the well established standard?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

justsomeguy

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 10:47:13 pm »

Yes I realize replaygain is the "standard" and is what I've been using for at least 8 years.  I have been using MC since version 9.

Somehow I don't think microsoft is gonna listen to me.  We all know they are almost always the last ones to finally break down and support what has become "standard" and stop trying to force their own version of whatever down our throats.

So I'm guessing no one here knows how WMP stores it's leveling data in the tags?  Yes I realize also this isn't a microsoft support forum either.  Maybe someone knows if it's possible to read all non-standard tags within a file without knowing what that tag name might be?

txgardener

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 03:02:00 pm »

Seeking a similar answer because the WMP mp3 tag "AverageLevel" is used by Sonos players for volume normalization and I need to sweep my files to make make it work the same way replaygain works in MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up