INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing embedded cover art and preserving Folder.jpg?  (Read 2013 times)

Pjotr

• World Citizen
Removing embedded cover art and preserving Folder.jpg?
« on: November 09, 2009, 04:06:09 pm »

How do I remove cover art from a file, or all of the files of an album. The tag “Image file” is not editable. When I remove the embedded cover art from the files of an album, also the file “Folder.jpg” is deleted, which is just the one I want to keep when cleaning up files.

Pjotr

• World Citizen
Re: Removing embedded cover art and preserving Folder.jpg?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 05:16:30 am »

Bump

If there is no proper way in MC to edit cover art embedded in file tags, can someone point me to a tag editor that can do this neatly for Flac files? One that shows al Vorbis/ID3 tags including custom tags in Flac?

Tag editors I found sofar on the net are all tailored to MP3 and handle Flac quite minimal. MC can edit most tags pretty well, but for cover art much can be improved IMHO.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:09:17 am »

It works for me. I can remove an embedded cover art image and MC doesn't touch the files on the disk (the Image File value must be "Inside File" before running the Cover Art > Remove Cover Art command).

However, after that you must link the external cover art image as a separate process. You can use the "quick find" tool, but remember to set the the file location options to not embed cover art.

Are you using the latest MC14 build? Though, I don't think the behavior has changed recently.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:46:12 am »

Thanks Alex for the reply.

I have a lot of albums ripped with EAC and dBpoweramp with the cover art stored as Folder.jpg in the album folder. This is to me the most portable and convenient way for me. Also the covert art is stored mostly in the track files itself. Unfortunately many cover art is the wrong cover and/or of low resolution.

I am updating the cover art (by scanning the original ones) for the right ones and with higher resolution. But when I store the new cover art as Folder.jpg in the album folder and I update, MC still takes the art in the files and not the new Folder.jpg file as source. To get this right I have to delete the art in all the track files first. But then MC also deletes the updated correct Folder.jpg file in the album folder.

So I need a way to first delete the art from the track files but not the Folder.jpg file. Or a way to enforce MC to take the Folder.jpg file as the souce for updating. Storing first the correct Folder.jpg elsewhere before deleting can be a workaround, but it is clumsy because they are al named “Folder.jpg”

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 03:01:16 pm »

Ok problem solved. When removing cover art, a pop-up asks you if you want to delete the cover art files. You have to click "no" then instead of "yes". Quite confusing but it did the trick. The pop-up appears as a confirmation message, not a choice box. No explanation at all then that "no" only removes art from the track files.

I must say MC is a very good mediaplayer program (to say the best) but you have to struggle and stumble a lot to find the handles, that takes a hell lot of mistakes and time. It’s a bit like inventing your own wheel.

A good manual is still appreciated (and asked for by many, many times).

rhom

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 05:39:57 pm »

Ok problem solved. When removing cover art, a pop-up asks you if you want to delete the cover art files. You have to click "no" then instead of "yes". Quite confusing but it did the trick. The pop-up appears as a confirmation message, not a choice box. No explanation at all then that "no" only removes art from the track files.

thats weird, on mine that confirmation box says approx "do you want to delete the cover art file from your hdd as well" - its said the same thing since for as long as i can remember (back to v12 at least) - which seems a fairly obvious question to ask the user, and what it means to do.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 04:44:42 am »

thats weird, on mine that confirmation box says approx "do you want to delete the cover art file from your hdd as well" - its said the same thing since for as long as i can remember (back to v12 at least) - which seems a fairly obvious question to ask the user, and what it means to do.

In addition, the mentioned option doesn't do anything when cover art is embedded -  i.e. when the Image File library field shows "Inside File".

It applies only to an externally linked cover art image when the image's filename or complete path is displayed in the Image File field. Even when allowed to delete the disk file MC doesn't delete unlinked image files from the disk.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

kurushi

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 06:43:56 am »

right clik ==> remove covert art
right clik ==>Quick  find in file/covert art directory

This is how i proceed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up