INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slight bug when using the 'Tag' menu  (Read 1129 times)

wladdy

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Slight bug when using the 'Tag' menu
« on: November 09, 2009, 05:03:23 pm »

In the 'Tag' menu, at the bottom left of the screen in the Standard View, when I click on a field that requires scrolling down, I get immediately back to the top of the 'Tag', thus losing sight of the field that I want to edit.

The field seems to be properly selected because if I type something and hit 'Enter', the contents will have changed (despite me not seeing on the screen what I was typing).

Another way to access the field is to scroll down to it with the mouse wheel. When I do that, I see that the field is indeed selected and ready to be edited. However, constantly scrolling down is very tedious.

Has anyone experienced the same problem and found a solution to it?

Many thanks,

W.

Media Center 14.0.79 Registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 14\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium M 997 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2079 MB, Free - 1476 MB

Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: PHILIPS CDRW/DVD CDD5263  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G: AT6520M RZB558X           Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 100
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: PHILIPS  CDRW/DVD CDD5263   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)
  Lyrics Editor (Active)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Slight bug when using the 'Tag' menu
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 05:42:06 pm »

I'm a heavy user of the Tag action windows, and I don't experience this behavior. When I scroll down then click a field, the field tag name remains visible, the field opens for editing just below the tag name, and the cursor goes into the field.

If you are using 14.0.79, note that some tag window bugs (notably involving scrolling) crept into some builds, then were banished in later builds. Perhaps you should try 14.0.94?

My wish list is that the Tag action window could be resized, to eliminate the need to scroll to hidden fields. While tagging I have no need for the current layout, which shows me lots of the views tree but only a few of the tag fields.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

wladdy

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 06:38:40 pm »

Thank you MusicHawk, upgrading to the latest built did the trick.

Yes, I too would love to customize the Tag action window. Having a massive quantity of unused fields on the screen not only causes unnecessary scrolling but also leads sometimes to forget tagging a field that I want properly documented. This is especially problematic when undertaking a massive rip job, as I currently am.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 01:33:03 am »

My wish list is that the Tag action window could be resized, to eliminate the need to scroll to hidden fields. While tagging I have no need for the current layout, which shows me lots of the views tree but only a few of the tag fields.

Yes, I too would love to customize the Tag action window. Having a massive quantity of unused fields on the screen not only causes unnecessary scrolling but also leads sometimes to forget tagging a field that I want properly documented. This is especially problematic when undertaking a massive rip job, as I currently am.

I think that what we have here are two different wishes...

MusicHawk's wish is sadly not possible, but is a desire I whole-heartedly share.
Way back, in the early beta days of MC12, there was a glorious bug, for one build only, and it made the tag window do this:

How neat is that!!!
Is that the kind of thing you wish for MusicHawk?

wladdy's wish may well be achievable right now...
If you click on the icon in the top left corner of the tag window, you will see some options.

"Also Show" allows you to choose fields to show along with the default tags for the media types you are tagging.
If the default fields are giving you too much redundancy, another option that might be helpful is the "Show tags in current view" option.

You can switch your file list to "Details" (if it's not already) and add columns for all fields you would like to have in the tag window, and remove those that you don't want in there. Place the columns in the order you would like the tag window to display them, and then, when you select the "Show tags in current view" option, those will be fields you see, in the order you have placed them.
Alternatively, (if your list is in details view), you could use MC's "inline edit" mode, which allows you to select one or many files, right click in a column and choose "Rename" or press F2 and enter your field data directly into the list itself.

Another option that might work for you, is "drag and drop tagging". I don't really use this all that much, but those that do, swear by it. You'll need to experiment with it yourself to see if it will suit you and to discover the possibilities and limitations as I'm not familiar enough with that workflow.
If you have the "Genre" field open in the tree, for example, you should be able to drag a file, or selection of files, from the list, drop them on a Genre in the tree, and those files will be tagged with that genre.

If you play around with the various approaches available to you, you should be able to land on a working environment that is both quick and easy for you.
Any questions, just fire away, there's a lot of people here all doing the same thing, namely tagging, in a lot of different ways.

regards,
-marko.

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 02:28:52 pm »

Marko, yes! When I'm tagging a track, I'd like to see as many of the tag fields as can fit vertically in the left column, as shown in your screen shot... and with the same control over WHICH fields are shown.

While working in the Tag window I don't know of any reason to also see some of the views tree, sharing the column with the tags. In fact, the current layout is neither/nor -- it doesn't show all the tag fields, OR all the views, and the odds are that at any given moment, what it DOES show is NOT what the user wants to see.

So, if it would be too much work to make the Tag window randomly resizable (I recall one suggestion to make it floatable), how about a button to switch the Tag window to full height as in your picture? AND, remember this mode so it stays zoomed until sized back down (same idea/icons as for a Windows window).

Meanwhile, my workaround is to show only the Tags in the current view, combined with a view that has all the tags I normally need to see/edit, with the view columns ordered so the tags I touch most are to the left so they are in the visible part of the Tags window. That's a lot of kludging; it would be wonderful to replace it with a single click to zoom the Tags window.

IF JR considers enabling the Tag window to be zoomed to full height, it would be extra helpful to make this sticky within a tab. Ideal might be to control Action window display (Tag or whatever) at the tab level. That way, one tab could be the view used for tagging, with the Tag window shown full height, while another tab could be used for wandering around views, with the Tag window not open at all, perhaps checking on something while in midst of tagging in the other window. Jumping between the tabs would not only change views, it would also respect the Action window mode last-selected for each view.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up