INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audible store downloads not working -- I just get "aw_dhelper_pl" file.  (Read 1710 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I recently updated to Win7 on my main system and I'm having some trouble getting the Audible store to download content.  When I hit the "download" button on the Audible page, I get a popup asking me where I want to download the file "aw_dhelper_pl."  I downloaded this to the desktop and tried to run it, but I just get another popup asking me what program to use to open it.   I'm not sure how to proceed.

How do you get this to work with MC on a new system?  It's been a while since I set up Audible on a new system, and it's working differently than it did last time I set it up.  Do I need to run the "aw_dhelper_pl" file?  If so, what program do I use to open it?  Do I need to download and install "Audible Manager"?  I "thought" that this was no longer necessary -- i.e. I thought that MC would license a machine for Audible on it's own, but I am not clear on any of this.

On a related note, Audible now offers both "Audible Manager" and "Audible Download Manager."  Which one (if either) do I need if I want to download and play content with MC14, and sync the files to an iPod or OTHER mp3 device with MC14?  I can't tell which one to use from the brief descriptions on the Audible site.

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Audible store downloads not working -- I just get "aw_dhelper_pl" file.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 03:35:55 pm »

I just wanted to bump this since it's been a couple weeks with no response, and I'm still not unable to get audible files to work in MC14.  I could really use some help here.

Am I supposed to go to the Audible site and download "Audible Manager," or "Audible Download Manager" (two different programs), or is this supposed to work with MC without needing these?

ANY help would be appreciated here.

Thanks,

Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 03:42:10 pm »

This is a known issue when running the program with low-privileges (i.e. under UAC).  We're not able to register for MIME handling at runtime in this case.

You might be able to run as administrator when doing Audible downloads.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 04:34:27 pm »

This is a known issue when running the program with low-privileges (i.e. under UAC).  We're not able to register for MIME handling at runtime in this case.

You might be able to run as administrator when doing Audible downloads.

Thanks for the response.

Forgive me, but I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here.  Are you saying that I need to be running windows as an administrator?  If so, I'm already doing this.  Given this, what do I need to actually "do" to get it to work at this point?

Does Audible Manager or Audible Download Manager need to be installed for Audible files to download under MC14, or is it supposed to work without these?  What does the "aw_dhelper_pl" message mean?

Audible file downloads are still supposed to work under MC14, correct (even under win7)?  If so, what actual steps are needed to get it working?  I just don't know what I'm supposed to do -- I have no idea what the "aw_dhelper_pl" message is telling me.  Any specific instructions would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 04:49:39 pm »

Right-click the Media Center shortcut and pick 'Run as administrator'

If it still doesn't work, you'll have to use Audible's downloader.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 07:10:34 pm »

Right-click the Media Center shortcut and pick 'Run as administrator'

If it still doesn't work, you'll have to use Audible's downloader.

Thanks.

I'll try that, but in the mean time, I confused about some of the basics here, so it would really help me to ask a few specific questions.

- Is MC14 "supposed" to be able to work with Audible downloading and playback without installing "Audible Manager" or "Audible Download Manager," or does AM or ADM need to first be installed on the system in order for Audible downloading and/or playback to function from within MC14?

- When you say I'll have to use Audible's downloader, do you mean that Audible download support from within MC14 may no longer function?

- On the same note, would I need "Audible Manager," or "Audible Download Manager" in order to playback and sync with MC14?  According to Audible, you need AM for mp3 players OTHER than the iPod, and ADM for iPods.  The same instructions, however, appear to assume that I'd be using iTunes if I was using an iPod, so I'm not clear whether or not the regular AM would be the right one to use when you aren't using iTunes.

- Is Audible downloading no longer officially supported from within MC?  It sounds like you aren't sure if it will work or not.

Thanks again for your help,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 05:33:08 am »

Okay -- I ran the MC14 exe file by clicking on "Run as Administrator.  The downloads are now working.  They work even when I shut down MC14 and restart it WITHOUT the "Run as Administrator" option, however, which I don't understand.

Do you only need to do this "once"?  I did NOT go into the properties and change this permanently -- I just used the right click menu to select "Run as Administrator," and then I went back to starting MC with the regular shortcut.

Thanks,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up