INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PvdImport Test log IV  (Read 2438 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
PvdImport Test log IV
« on: November 28, 2009, 05:48:37 am »

This is a beta version of PvdImport, so install at your own risk!

Download the beta version here

I suggest you backup your MC database before you install PvdImport:

o improved: When doing an auto update, files marked as "invisible" (==0) in PVD are excluded from the test.
o improved: In Vista and Win7, Firebird has issues when connecting to local databases via filename only. Thus, the computer name is now a separate (saved:PvdComputerName) edit box item. 127.0.0.1 is the default name which works when PvdImport and Firebird reside on the same computer.
o improved: PVD database connenction mechanism: Better exception handling and GUI messages (Try entering wrong computer name and/or path!)
o Fixed: DVD lookup in Auto Update and Mass Import could fail in som cases. This is because of dvd ifo file naming in MC.
o Fixed: Auto import would sometimes report "ghost movies" with no name.

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
Re: PvdImport Test log IV
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:32:36 pm »

Thank you raldo!
Now autoimport dvd worked fine for me  :)

rick.ca

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 08:59:42 pm »

o improved: When doing an auto update, files marked as "invisible" (==0) in PVD are excluded from the test.

That's much better! ;)

Thus, the computer name is now a separate (saved:PvdComputerName) edit box item.

I don't see this in the UI or config files. Is that because I'm using an existing configuration (which includes a valid connection)?

o Fixed: Auto import would sometimes report "ghost movies" with no name.

Great. But now there's no indication in the log anything happened when no changed files were found. For Run Once and the first file check when Auto Import is enabled, the start and end of the file check should be logged. This make it more obvious it's working properly, and my be helpful if troubleshooting is necessary.

It all seems to work perfectly, so I'll have to nitpick the UI... ;)

I find the function/behaviour of the Enable Auto Import, Run Once and Log buttons a little confusing. The Enable Auto Import and Log buttons are different in appearance—meant to indicate, I assume, they're on/off toggles. But this causes me to expect their appearance (colour an/or caption) will change to indicate their state. I realize the changing of other controls to a disabled state (and any activity in the log window) will indicate something is running, but a less subtle visual cue would be helpful. In the case of the Log, one has to check the log window (for "Start logging...") to see whether or not it's being recorded. And it doesn't help that Run Once has a separate Stop button, rather than being a toggle like the others. It makes it more likely one will wonder where the stop button for Auto Import is.

I think it would be a nice touch to have Auto Import run immediately when selected, rather than waiting for the set interval. Even if I trust that it will work properly, I find I have to wait until it runs—just because it's so cool to watch. ;D

raldo

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 03:57:19 am »

Thank you raldo!
Now autoimport dvd worked fine for me  :)

That's good to hear! Thanks for your support.

raldo

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:19:56 am »

I don't see this in the UI or config files. Is that because I'm using an existing configuration (which includes a valid connection)?
There should be a new text box between the "PVD DB" button and the database path text box. You won't see this new parameter in the config file unless you change your config, so that a save is forced.

Great. But now there's no indication in the log anything happened when no changed files were found. For Run Once and the first file check when Auto Import is enabled, the start and end of the file check should be logged. This make it more obvious it's working properly, and my be helpful if troubleshooting is necessary.
Yes, I agree. I actually did this yesterday, so It'll be included in the next beta.

It all seems to work perfectly, so I'll have to nitpick the UI... ;)

I find the function/behaviour of the Enable Auto Import, Run Once and Log buttons a little confusing. The Enable Auto Import and Log buttons are different in appearance—meant to indicate, I assume, they're on/off toggles. But this causes me to expect their appearance (colour an/or caption) will change to indicate their state. I realize the changing of other controls to a disabled state (and any activity in the log window) will indicate something is running, but a less subtle visual cue would be helpful. In the case of the Log, one has to check the log window (for "Start logging...") to see whether or not it's being recorded. And it doesn't help that Run Once has a separate Stop button, rather than being a toggle like the others. It makes it more likely one will wonder where the stop button for Auto Import is.
I agree with you here. I've been confused myself regarding these buttons :)

I think it would be a nice touch to have Auto Import run immediately when selected, rather than waiting for the set interval. Even if I trust that it will work properly, I find I have to wait until it runs—just because it's so cool to watch. ;D
Yes, I actually did that yesterday, too.

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 02:51:40 pm »

I've been confused myself regarding these buttons.

My suggestion: For each of Mass Import, Auto Import, Run Once and Log, there be one start/stop button. The button will change to a reversed image of itself (swap font and background colours?—I'm not sure what would work in all skins) when in its started/enabled/running state. Clicking the button again would stop the process and return the button to its normal state—or this would happen when the process ends. Then it would be clear how they all function, and their current state.

raldo

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 03:23:32 pm »

My suggestion: For each of Mass Import, Auto Import, Run Once and Log, there be one start/stop button. The button will change to a reversed image of itself (swap font and background colours?—I'm not sure what would work in all skins) when in its started/enabled/running state. Clicking the button again would stop the process and return the button to its normal state—or this would happen when the process ends. Then it would be clear how they all function, and their current state.

I have removed both stop buttons. Now there is only one button which stops all imports.

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 04:03:07 pm »

That helps, but the current state is for each of those functions is still going to be unclear.

raldo

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 04:18:41 am »

That helps, but the current state is for each of those functions is still going to be unclear.

I see that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up