INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing and Viewing DVD Extras in Theater View  (Read 1577 times)

QueBall

• Recent member
Playing and Viewing DVD Extras in Theater View
« on: December 17, 2009, 07:06:34 am »

Hey Guys,

Could someone please help explain how I might display and play DVD extras in Theater View.

Files(DVD's) are ripped as DivX. Movie and each extra individually.

I am trying to have extra's nested under the main movie.
I can do this using stacks but when played in Theater View it will only play the top file.
It's ok in the library as you can select play stack but I can't find this option in theater view.
If the stack is expanded in the Library it is also expanded in Theater View but I prefer not to have my movie views clogged with extras files.

Any help appreciated.
Cheers

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playing and Viewing DVD Extras in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 03:33:50 pm »

Annoying, isn't it? I've requested a "play stack" functionality be added to Theatre View, but there's been no indication if or when this will be done.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 06:56:07 pm »

I haven't tried this, but could you create a Nested View in TheaterView via the use of a new field and use Play All?

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 08:41:52 pm »

You could, for example, make all the Names identical (perhaps by introducing another field—like Disc #—to distinguish them), and add Name to the "details" of the view. Then the movie could be selected at the Name category level and played—to play all its parts.

While this will allow the playing multi-file items, it's otherwise hopelessly ugly. To see the file information, you would have to navigate to the details level, where all the files would be listed (and, presumably, the meta data is attached to only one, or is the same for all of them). To play, you would have to select Play All from the menu, or back up a level, select the Name category and then play. Also, the Name category will only appear if there is more than one movie currently in the view. Otherwise, it skips directly to the details level, and using Play All would be the only option.

Even if the workaround were tolerable, it requires all the component files to be displayed in the view. That means the same line-item or thumbnail is displayed for however many files there are. Yuk! Stacking them at least results in only one item being displayed.

In any case, I see no reason why the stacking feature should not be identical to that in Standard View. Surely, if one has a use for it there, they would expect it to be available in Theatre View as well. Ironically, the missing Play Stack function is essential in Theatre View, while probably rarely used in in Standard View.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 06:17:58 pm »

Agreed, not ideal. It was simply a possible workaround.  :)

QueBall

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 01:29:50 am »

Thanks for the replies guys,

I'll have to have a bit more of a play with this.

Pity 'play stack' doesn't pop up as an option on stacked video/movie files.

Cheers

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 02:53:16 am »

I currently use a tag called "Type" to distinguish my ripped files between "Feature" and "Dvd extras".
I create two views in Theater View. One for browsing features, and a different one for browsing extras. This is fairly simple and has always worked well for me.

You could also try tagging all the ripped titles from a DVD with the same [Album] value, and then giving them [Track #] to show your preference for watching them. (Though MC makes it a bit hard for you by hiding the Track # tag from video views).
Pages: [1]   Go Up