INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Questions and Answers  (Read 76208 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DLNA Questions and Answers
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2010, 01:16:39 pm »

bou, i can't stream to my Sony 32v4500 kdl tv !
dlna works with Microsoft media player but nothing with MC, i'm so sad...
Are you using build 136?  It's at the top of the MC14 board here.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2010, 01:22:58 pm »

The first two options above (thumbnails and Subtitles) are working perfect with Nero Mediahome 4, all other DLNA servers I tread fail to show thumbnails and subtitles.
Is there something special to be done and/or why is Nero working ok for this ?
We probably need to tune something, but someone else found a problem related to case sensitivity.  folder.jpg worked.  Folder.jpg did not.  Could be the same problem here?

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2010, 01:49:33 pm »

We probably need to tune something, but someone else found a problem related to case sensitivity.  folder.jpg worked.  Folder.jpg did not.  Could be the same problem here?

This would maybe ok for audio (I will try), but for Videos and Images not. (Images don't have folder.jpg, because they are already images...)
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2010, 05:34:41 pm »

tried with folder.jpg and Folder.jpg, no joy

Kman

« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2010, 09:38:30 pm »

Hello,

I just want to use MC as the server and use Linn KinskyDestop to control Linn DS player to play music.
How should I set-up MC?
- turn DLNA server on
- Select " Generic DLNA"
- Should "MC as renderer" on?
- Does the server function will be on at once or do I need to restart MC?
- Can the KinskyDestop and MC run on same PC?

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2010, 12:10:59 pm »

Just tested my LG BD390 with just browsing thru shared folders (no DLNA) from my PC, this shows my coverart (for audio only) perfect.

alancommike

• Recent member
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2010, 11:50:50 pm »

I just tried .137 with my Denon 3808CI. I used the 'Denon' server in the DLNA dialog. The receiver can see MC, browse and play. MC can see the Denon after a restart, but can only pause and play a track that's already been started from the Denon interface. I can't choose a track from the MC interface and have it play on the Denon, which is what I'd really like to do. I get an error that the file can't be played.

...alan

BrianD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2010, 06:55:32 am »

Thanks.  It looks like Samsung's DLNA may be a little different:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?threadID=325920

I had a look at this forum post and found this header info at the end.

I'm extremely happy to report that this simple fix will allow you to stream almost any mp3/avi file to the Samsung using mediatomb on Linux...

Step 1: Open your mediatomb config and place this in the <server> section:

<custom-http-headers>
<add header="transferMode.dlna.org: Streaming"/>
<add header="contentFeatures.dlna.org: DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01700000000000000000000000000000"/>
</custom-http-headers>

Step 2: Add this node inside of the <extension-mimetype> node:

<map from="avi" to="video/mpeg"/>

Step 3: Restart mediatomb

Step 4: Sit back and enjoy streaming media directly to your tv

I too am extremely interested in getting the samsung DLNA TV working with MC as this functionality was the reason I bought it

Are there any user accessible config files where I can add this info to test or is it code that has to be embedded in a dll somewhere.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2010, 10:16:55 am »

I had a look at this forum post and found this header info at the end.

I too am extremely interested in getting the samsung DLNA TV working with MC as this functionality was the reason I bought it

Are there any user accessible config files where I can add this info to test or is it code that has to be embedded in a dll somewhere.

It's inside the program and can't be changed. At some point this will be more configurable. I'm working on the video now. That info you quoted assumes all of your avi files contain mpeg content. Is that the case?

BrianD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2010, 03:00:00 pm »

It's inside the program and can't be changed. At some point this will be more configurable. I'm working on the video now. That info you quoted assumes all of your avi files contain mpeg content. Is that the case?
Some files maybe but most of my videos are encoded with DivX or Xvid (I don't know if this is the same or not.

Also, the "Not supported Media Format" error occurs for all my MP3's and Jpegs as well (Audio & Photos).  How are these types dealt with in the Headers?

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2010, 11:55:09 am »

Can you make this topic a sticky one, Jim?
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

kaczor47

• Recent member
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2010, 01:59:20 pm »

Hi, please excuse this newbie...

I am searching for a suitable DLNA setup. I have:
- Synology DS207 NAS where the media resides
- HTPC running XBMC (Win 7, could go linux)
- relatively old laptop running MC 14: library resides locally, files pulled from Synology via a Windows share.

Right now I set up the laptop acting as a DLNA server, and thus controlling the XBMC on the HTPC. One slight annoyance is that the cover art (embedded in id3 tags) does not get displayed. (Is this a known issue?) Apart from this, the setup works relatively well - the media info, and search functionality shows up on the MC quickly with no lag. But does this mean that the media flows Synology->laptop->HTPC ? Or is it intelligently routed Synology -> HTPC?

Since I suspect that anser to the above is the former, I wonder if a better setup would not be Synology as a DLNA server, laptop MC as a DLNA controller. Based on the definitions of the modes my understanding is that the MC would simply act as a 'remote control' to select the media to be played on the XBMC - is this correct?

I tried this approach: enabled 'DLNA renderer' in MC, and the media server on the NAS. The media content shows up in MC (albeit a bit laggy - one disadvantage over the above), XBMC shows up as a zone in Playing Now. However when I try to play, MC tells me that Server functionality needs to be enabled. Is this intended? It seems to me that this will not lead to the intended setup?.

Finally, what setup would you recommend? The key objective is to be able to control the music from the MC gui, and for the data to reside on the NAS.

Oh, and a minor question: can I make the XBMC zone the default zone, so that I can simply double click on content to play it.

Sorry for the long winded post - I appreciate your input.

BrianD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2010, 04:33:25 am »

Some files maybe but most of my videos are encoded with DivX or Xvid (I don't know if this is the same or not.

Also, the "Not supported Media Format" error occurs for all my MP3's and Jpegs as well (Audio & Photos).  How are these types dealt with in the Headers?
I did a wireshark trace back before New Year and emailed it in but have had no response to it.  Did it contain useful information?  Do I need to do another one?

I really don't want to ditch MC for something else as it rocks in almost every other way.  I am keen to help get this DLNA to Samsung TV working so just ask what you need me to provide.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2010, 07:19:20 am »

I did a wireshark trace back before New Year and emailed it in but have had no response to it.  Did it contain useful information?  Do I need to do another one?

Bob was in the hospital for almost three weeks.  He's back and beginning to work again.

Thanks for your patience.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2010, 12:59:36 pm »

Can you make this topic a sticky one, Jim?
Bump
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2010, 09:20:19 am »

Not the same, those will have to be transcoded. We added the compression tag for video. If you "update library (from tags) for your video files you will get that field filled in by MC. Then you can see the video and audio codecs for all of your videos.

That's really weird. The generic DLNA should be sending the same headers as MediaTomb for audio and image formats. You are using the generic dlna profile? You don't have the WMC Compat flag set in advanced options??

You could try deleting your profile and recreating it. You might have to restart MC AND the TV after making the change.

kaczor47

• Recent member
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2010, 08:22:30 pm »

Has anybody been successful at passing cover art to a DLNA renderer, specifically XBMC? I managed to get the artist/album/time displayed, but not the cover art.

I am using MC 14 build 140. Cover art is embedded in each FLAC/mp3 file.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2010, 09:22:13 pm »

Has anybody been successful at passing cover art to a DLNA renderer, specifically XBMC? I managed to get the artist/album/time displayed, but not the cover art.

I am using MC 14 build 140. Cover art is embedded in each FLAC/mp3 file.

Thanks!
Build 147 is on the download page now.  Cover art works on the WD HD TV Live as a renderer.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2010, 09:42:08 pm »

Has anyone tried this with an Xtreamer or Patriot Box Office?

kaczor47

• Recent member
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2010, 04:54:25 am »

I don't believe the Xtreamer has DLNA rendering functionality - I own one and have suggested/requested this feature in fact. Main reason for me moving to xbmc...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2010, 08:15:30 am »

I don't believe the Xtreamer has DLNA rendering functionality - I own one and have suggested/requested this feature in fact. Main reason for me moving to xbmc...
What kind of rendering does it do? If it's Windows Media you could always try the xbox 360 profile.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2010, 10:08:37 am »

Just tried out MC14 to check the new DLNA progress, but it is missing one feature that makes it of limited use (for me).  Most of my content uses CODECs that the PS3 and/or XBox 360 can play, but not in containers that they support (mostly MKV).  This content shows up a 'unsupported' on these devices.  This same content does stream fine (as is - not transcoded) to the 360 using Windows Media Center 7 with the new DIVX platform installed.

Part of the new DIVX platform is MKV support for media extenders, and it works by making the extender see the content as being supported.  Not sure if it is remuxing the content on the fly or just sending the raw stream, but it works.  It does currently lack chapter and subtitle support and doesn't yet work with the PS3.

I am not interested in transcoding support.  On my smaller PC screens I can play back any format I want and on my larger TV screens transcoded material is noticeably worse than the original.  I would rather just take the time to find and use the original disc over watching a lower quality version.

Not sure how technically feasible this is, but it would help as new containers come out that older (or even existing) extenders can't (or won't) support.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2010, 08:12:47 am »

I'm new at DLNA.

I want to use Plugplayer and have enabled (I think) the Rendered option in DLNA settings.

PlugPlayer can see my 4 zones but I get an 801 Error when trying to browse. I seem to be able to control file playback but have just one file in PlugPlayer.

What am I doing wrong here?

There is nothing here in the wiki about ports and firewalls, and I can see the Zones.

thanks
hifi

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2010, 09:32:31 am »

I'm new at DLNA.

I want to use Plugplayer and have enabled (I think) the Rendered option in DLNA settings.

PlugPlayer can see my 4 zones but I get an 801 Error when trying to browse. I seem to be able to control file playback but have just one file in PlugPlayer.

What am I doing wrong here?

There is nothing here in the wiki about ports and firewalls, and I can see the Zones.

thanks
hifi
How do you want to use MC?
As a server of music/images/video to be rendered elsewhere?
or to render the music/images/video?
or both (which essentially means using PP as a fancy remote)?

HiFiTubes

« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2010, 09:43:34 am »

HI Bob

I want to use my iPhone as a fancy remote, and just control playback on any of my 3-4 zones.

I currently have MC14 as the front end for my and 2channel hifi & hometheater.

I currently use RiverMote but there are some compatabilityand focus issues with it. It allows my to see all Playlists and Smartlists, and control Playing Now.

thanks!
hifi

curry-kid

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2010, 03:26:02 am »

Hello,
I have just upgraded from MC 13 to 14. However I am now having problems with a uPnP device which was running very well until the upgrade. It is a Netgear MP101.

I have added it to the server list and removed the default Generic DLNA. I have made no changes to the settings. The MP101 sees the server, connects and even starts to play. However at the end of the song it stops and doesn't play the next song on the album.

I have restarted server and client a couple of times, but it still does this... Any ideas ??

Cheers
Chris

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2010, 09:17:01 am »

I have added it to the server list and removed the default Generic DLNA. I have made no changes to the settings. The MP101 sees the server, connects and even starts to play. However at the end of the song it stops and doesn't play the next song on the album.

Did you upgrade your OS too?

The MP101 doesn't work with Vista and Windows 7 with any server software.

You might be able to find firmware on the internet that gets it working, but I don't have the specifics.  I gave up on my MP101 when I first upgraded to Vista years back because of this.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

curry-kid

• Recent member
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2010, 10:00:23 am »

Hi Matt.

No, still on XP Pro SP3.

curry-kid

• Recent member
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2010, 11:23:31 am »

I had a look for the vista/7 compliant firmware you mentioned and found it here:
http://shazwanazizan.blogspot.com/2009/02/giving-back-to-society-netgear-mp101.html

I was planning on upgrading my main HTPC soon and Win7 would be the likely OS to use. So I tried this firmware to see if it helps...

And no it doesn't.

Now the MP101 can view the library, but cannot play anything. When you try and play something a message pops up "Item is currently unavailable".

I thought I had knackered the MP101. But when I run up MC13 and connect the MP101 to that, it works fine.

There is definitely a problem that has crept into MC14...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2010, 11:32:49 am »

I had a look for the vista/7 compliant firmware you mentioned and found it here:
http://shazwanazizan.blogspot.com/2009/02/giving-back-to-society-netgear-mp101.html

I was planning on upgrading my main HTPC soon and Win7 would be the likely OS to use. So I tried this firmware to see if it helps...

And no it doesn't.

Now the MP101 can view the library, but cannot play anything. When you try and play something a message pops up "Item is currently unavailable".

I thought I had knackered the MP101. But when I run up MC13 and connect the MP101 to that, it works fine.

There is definitely a problem that has crept into MC14...

Thanks for testing.

We'll plug in an MP-101 here sometime this week and see how we fare.  Hopefully it's an easy fix.

curry-kid

• Recent member
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2010, 11:40:54 am »

Thanks Matt  :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2010, 12:07:33 pm »

Thanks Matt  :)

I just plugged in an MP101 and had pretty good luck with it.

Make sure you're running build 153 of Media Center from the top of this board.  Also, make sure it's set to convert to MP3 in the DLNA server options.  I streamed an APE file converted to MP3 and also a plain MP3.  Both played fine.

It does stick at the end of the song for me, but I'm testing with Vista so this is sort of expected (it doesn't have the newest firmware).

curry-kid

• Recent member
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2010, 12:58:01 pm »

Thanks for trying that Matt. I appreciate your efforts. It is encouraging that some else has it working ok

I have another XP machine (main HTPC), but that is a Via Epia and I have never attempted uPnP from that as the CPU is only 500MHz. But I'll give that a try later and also with my Vista laptop.

Cheers
Chris

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2010, 03:13:20 pm »

Thanks. I'll still keep it though.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2010, 03:18:45 pm »

Has anyone tried this with an Xtreamer or Patriot Box Office?

To answer my own question, I set it up last night with my Patriot BoxOffice.

-It's meant to be UPnP, and no mention of DLNA. Does this make a difference?
-It saw MC DLNA servers straight away.
-I was even able to navigate the views which I left on default.
--However, video files would not play. They were seen, but I got "Invalid file".
--Music files were fine, however.
--The same video files that wouldn't play, would play fine if I navigated to them via the network.
-The BoxOffice never showed up as a Playing Now Zone.

Any tips, anyone?
Maybe I should sell my two BoxOffices and get WDTVLive units instead? Perhaps this is something that might be enhanced in future firmware releases for the BoxOffice?

HiFiTubes

« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2010, 09:33:15 pm »

I found this on another forum, but I don't see where I would change the port MC DLNA is running on.

the Wiki needs some work for PlugPlayer users imo (i.e. WIndows logo vs. MC icons):

Yes I certainly have received that error (801). It took me a while to figure it out. the problem was I selected the wrong Media Server in the PlugPlayer setup. If your version of Windows is also running a UPnP server (it likely is) it may appear in the list instead of the MC Media Server. Selecting the Windows Media Server will give you the 801 error every time. There should be a media server selectable with the MC icon not just one with a Windows icon.

I had to change the port MC Media Server was operating on, in order to make this work. Windows and MC used the same port by default and Windows won the battle.

Also, make sure you have downloaded the absolute newest version of MC from the MC forum. It really makes a difference.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2010, 09:34:35 pm »

Okay, so enabling the server did the trick.  :-[ Choosing Renderer makes the zones show up in PlugPlayer, but it is confusing for a new user that you need to choose Server as well because it seems like it is already running, and I don't want it to server anything; just be controlled by my iPhone. DLNA is incredibly fast with my 122K song library. Color me impressed. Wish I had a way to do ratings though like in RiverMote!

hifi

Eddy

Problem controlling Denon AVp-A1HD
« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2010, 04:08:14 pm »

Hi,
First, this Media Center is for me the best I ever seen. The eye candy is fantastic.
Used system: Win7, MC 14.0.151, Denon AVP-A1HD

Working with mostly FLAC and some mp3's. Everything works: Playing songs via zone 1 etc, except I can't get the function I needed most to work.
I want to push content to my Denon, but I don't have success with this. UPNP service selected is 'Denon', tried also 'general dlna'. Tried to change options too.

When I drop a .flac or .mp3 or any other file on the 'playing now'-Denon (In fact it is reported 'Network Audio' by the Denon.) I get this message:
'There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device. Double check your device server and network settings'

The Denon can play mp3 and flac, but i'm suspecting it is not advertising flac in upnp. (Some control point won't play flac, and can't be forced to do so)
With Twonky server, or the on2share plugin I can push mp3 and flac native to the Denon without problems.
Also with MC server, I can pull mp3 and flac content, controlled by the Denon controls.
Strange thing, when I start a song with eg on2share/winamp, en go to MC,  then the upper left play button changes to pause and time is counting.
I can even pause/play the running song with MC.
I think this person has the same problem: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55720.msg380620#msg380620

Thanks for your time, I hope to get this working!
  Eddy

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2010, 07:42:26 pm »

How do you control what filetypes are supported?  Just tried feeding some FLAC files to my Denon 3310.  The Denon supports FLAC, but MC was trying to transcode to MP3 instead of passing the FLAC directly.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2010, 08:45:20 am »

flac files should be passed properly in the current version. Choose "never convert" for the audio conversion under options. The current version of MC converts everything to the format you choose with you select "convert unsupported formats". I'd use generic dlna for any recent Denon. Let us know if this change lets you play flacs natively.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2010, 08:57:55 am »

flac files should be passed properly in the current version. Choose "never convert" for the audio conversion under options. The current version of MC converts everything to the format you choose with you select "convert unsupported formats". I'd use generic dlna for any recent Denon. Let us know if this change lets you play flacs natively.

Using generic DLNA and never convert allows FLAC to pass to the 3310.

Edit:
Of course now non-supported tracks won't play.

BrianD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2010, 05:45:22 am »

Not the same, those will have to be transcoded. We added the compression tag for video. If you "update library (from tags) for your video files you will get that field filled in by MC. Then you can see the video and audio codecs for all of your videos.That's really weird. The generic DLNA should be sending the same headers as MediaTomb for audio and image formats. You are using the generic dlna profile? You don't have the WMC Compat flag set in advanced options??

You could try deleting your profile and recreating it. You might have to restart MC AND the TV after making the change.

I have just tried the latest MC14.0.149 & the MC15.0.12 versions and DLNA streaming to my Samsung TV still does not work.  All media types Images, Music & video exhibit the same problem.  i.e. Media Format Not Supported error on TV when selected for Playback.  I can see the image thumbnails (including the embedded cover art in the MP3 files) but when selecting anything to play the above error is displayed. 

I have been trying to get this problem addressed for a number of months now in this forum and it seems that it is in the too hard basket. :(  This is disappointing as it means that I cannot stream to my TV as was my intention.  I will probably be forced to run alot more cable or buy another PC to stream to.

I have used the generic DLNA profile and no advanced options.  I am prepared to do another wireshark trace over the weekend but don't know how to best get it to you (JRiver)  can you please advise.

Thanks in advance

Brian

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2010, 06:49:12 am »

I have been trying to get this problem addressed for a number of months now in this forum and it seems that it is in the too hard basket. :(  This is disappointing as it means that I cannot stream to my TV as was my intention.  I will probably be forced to run alot more cable or buy another PC to stream to.
I hope you'll understand that we can't just buy a $1000 TV to solve every similar problem.

If you'll try a google search, you'll find many people saying what you're saying.  Samsung is different than other DLNA.  It shouldn't be.

Bob is working on a change that _might_ affect it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2010, 08:21:26 am »

Using generic DLNA and never convert allows FLAC to pass to the 3310.

Edit:
Of course now non-supported tracks won't play.

Since device support for different formats is all over the place there is no way to do this in a simple fashion. The way we currently do it is assume all devices can do mp3 and all DLNA devices can do LPCM (B.E. Wave). The best sound you could get is to "convert when necessary" to uncompressed wave. This is lossless since you are simple sending the encoded output to the device. At some point we will probably let one create a list of supported extensions in the advanced options so it can be tailored per device however that's certainly past the understanding of the average user.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2010, 10:06:16 pm »

Understood - Most of my tracks are MP3/FLAC (was APE but have converted to FLAC for now since it is more supported on devices)  so I haven't decided what to do with the few oddball (mostly apple mp4) tracks.  The convert all to wav would work at the expense of extra bandwidth and the loss of knowing the original file type when supported.

What I think would work best long term is the following:
Leave the defaults 'as is' with always convert and MP3.  For the 'average' user that would make it 'just work' and if they are average they probably don't have any lossless files in the first place.
Then give us more advanced users the ability to define valid file types (like we can with handhelds).

Edit:  Also think about leveraging stacks here. If there is a supported file in the stack then use that.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2010, 11:29:06 am »

I've made some changes in the next build of 15 (this will be 15.0.17 or greater) after doing much searching for the differences with the Samsung tv's.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55379.msg385885#msg385885

zurn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2010, 10:58:30 am »

OK, lemme get this straight.   I've been following several of the threads about DLNA but i'm still having trouble getting my head around it.

I've looked at the following threads:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55380.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55435.0

...the DLNA entry on the wiki and many other threads, but I still have some questions.

My main goal would be to easily play videos (vobs, xvid, etc) from my PC to my TV in a different room.  If i'm understanding all this correctly, i could get a device like the LG BD390  (for example, because with the Blu-ray and Netflix built in, i'd probably get that), configure MC15 to use it via DLNA and voila--even to my old-school CRT TV?  Am i connecting the dots correctly?

- What role is the LG playing DLNA terms?  If MC is the renderer and controller, is it the player?  Or is that moot?
- What does the interface look like?  Whatever LG provides?  Or as the controller is MC involved?   If the latter, is it controlled from the PC with MC?  (and therefore could be set up with a remote, etc)

thanks for any clarification...
-steve
-steve

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #147 on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:26 pm »

Going by this review of the BD390...

- What role is the LG playing DLNA terms?  If MC is the renderer and controller, is it the player?  Or is that moot?
The LG is the renderer ie player , MC is just the server. Just like if you had hooked up any generic DLNA file server.

- What does the interface look like?  Whatever LG provides?
Whatever LG provides.

My main goal would be to easily play videos (vobs, xvid, etc) from my PC to my TV in a different room.  If i'm understanding all this correctly, i could get a device like the LG BD390  (for example, because with the Blu-ray and Netflix built in, i'd probably get that), configure MC15 to use it via DLNA and voila--even to my old-school CRT TV?  Am i connecting the dots correctly?
In theory yes. But understand if the LG does DLNA in a quirky way there is going to be some miscommunication with MC like file unplayable on the LG. In which case you would need to cooperate by providing the requisite wireshark trace files to JRiver and hopefully a solution will be found. Ideally you'd want to test this out before you buy the BD390. Take a laptop with MC with you to the showroom and play around. I expect DLNA compliance will stabilise after some time when it becomes the norm.

You could play back to your CRT TV but you'd lose the benefit of HD in that case.

If you want to use MC as your interface then you'd need to setup a HTPC with MC running on it, it's interface would see much more improvements and adapt better over time than one provided by any CE vendor. Their obligation to you is only a few firmware iterations ie bug fixes before they EOL and move onto the next hardware product. Their business is hardware and churning out as many desirable units as possible and therefore there is only so much work they can do on each product's software.

In short they could never compete with a pure software company when it comes to interface.  

DLNA is good if you have a few media files and want it all to play easily. The sort of thing that looks great in an ad blurb but becomes impractical over time as your media grows and the need to organise increases.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: April 06, 2010, 01:41:11 pm »

There was a report of the 390 working.  You'll find a link in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55380.0

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #149 on: April 06, 2010, 02:22:27 pm »

Very good, the thread is here

There are two members on the board that have this unit & bennyd says  video (Xvid, Divx, VOB) works cept subtitles :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up