INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem: "Error starting Direct3D engine" in Theater View  (Read 15652 times)

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
Problem: "Error starting Direct3D engine" in Theater View
« on: January 26, 2010, 11:17:25 am »

Hi!

I have suddenly started to get an error message in Theater View on one of my laptops. Has worked well before, but cannot pinpoint on which version I got the problem. Might even be that version 14 has not been tried on this computer before.

The following message appears:

Code: [Select]
Error starting Direct3D engine
(error loading D3DX9_39.dll -- visit www.microsoft.com/directx)

System Info as follows:
Code: [Select]
Media Center 14.0.131 registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 14\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 2393 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 3104 MB, Free - 1800 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.5512 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 100
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD MU10N       Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm
  Library Server
  TiVo Server

Do not know of any changes on my machine to cause this.
  • Running on directx 9.0c (work computer, cannot upgrade)
  • dxdiag reports all ok

Anyone got a hint on where to look?
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
Re: Problem: "Error starting Direct3D engine" in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 11:22:26 am »

I just noticed the earlier duplicated post, did not get that one during search for some reason...?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55840.0

You could close this thread, if there are no other alternative than updating (which however is not possible for me  :()
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:30:49 pm »

I just noticed the earlier duplicated post, did not get that one during search for some reason...?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55840.0

You could close this thread, if there are no other alternative than updating (which however is not possible for me  :()

I believe that is a different issue.

You simply need a copy of D3DX9_39.dll in your system folder.

The JRiver installer should be checking that for you and installing it if needed.  Here's a link to the installer for manual installation:
http://files.jriver.com/dependencies/d3dx939.exe
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 12:23:11 am »

Thanks Matt, that worked like a charm!

Any clue to why it was missing? Is it supposed to be a part of DirectX or MC installer? (just curious...)

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 08:47:24 am »

is this the error that happens when you start jriver in theaterview? i just built htpc, and everytime i reboot i get a error if i have jriver start in theaterview. so i had to shut theaterview off and start htpc in standard view. be nice if i could get that fixed.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 09:46:25 am »

Thanks Matt, that worked like a charm!

Any clue to why it was missing? Is it supposed to be a part of DirectX or MC installer? (just curious...)

Had you run the regular Media Center installer?  It should be checking for and installing that file if it's needed.

The file is a collection of tools for doing 3D (matrix math, etc.) that Microsoft doesn't include with the basic DirectX.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 12:23:52 am »

Matt: No other installer than the ones in this forum.

xtacbyme: For me it happend when I switch into Theater View by using the shortcuts CTRl + 4. I had no problems switching back (CTRL + 1), no reboot required.

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 05:57:34 pm »

"You simply need a copy of D3DX9_39.dll in your system folder. The JRiver installer should be checking that for you and installing it if needed.  Here's a link to the installer for manual installation: http://files.jriver.com/dependencies/d3dx939.exe"

I am having the same issue. running the above file does nothing to help. Does anyone have any experience with this issue i'm having or can point in the right direction for help. I am running win 7 professional, with latest version of JRiver MC (downloaded yesterday). The machine is for music only no other software and not connected to the internet.

Thanks
Tom

Another thought.....maybe i need to "run in my system folder" rather than running it on my desktop? (as i just did) I'll try it and see if that works...

No luck, i tried running it in both system & system 32. Tried rebooting the pc, still no luck. Even reinstalled windows 7, ran d3dx939.exe, still no luck.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 12:52:19 am »

Tom, you have posted in a thread over six years old, and specific to a version of MC seven major versions ago.

Start a new thread in the MC21 forum, and I'm sure someone will be able to help. Describe the problem you have, as best you can.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 07:10:54 am »

It could be related to some "security" software preventing access during installation.

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 04:47:25 pm »

Thanks, re-posted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up