INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Search Box  (Read 4915 times)

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Search Box
« on: February 03, 2010, 06:05:48 am »

Something that has been annoying me.....

I Ctrl-F or click on search and type in Radiohead.  But as usual, I forgotten that I am in the Video mode.  I then click on audio and my search term disappears. I do this in some variation with some consistency.  Can MC instead hold the search term??

I then thought I should find a way to search any media type from the search box.  But the second point of the wiki http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Search doesn't work.  What am I missing here?

Thanks
Craig

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Search Box
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 12:12:45 pm »

To search "all databases", use ~d=a

~d=a radiohead

-marko

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 02:43:45 am »

doesn't work for me, v136.  any other suggestions, is there a setting somewhere?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 03:09:08 am »

Doesn't work for me either, sorry.

It did work for me yesterday, and that's because I used Ctrl+F, which bounced me from video to the root audio view, and I missed that, thinking it had worked.

I should have known it wouldn't work from clicking inside the search field, as the current video view is in force, and the audio and video are both in the same database, therefore, the "All Databases" modifier is totally redundant in this case.

If you're in video and want to search audio, ctrl+F should do the job for you.

You cannot click in the search bar and search for any media type from anywhere in your library. You can create a view scheme that contains all media types and work from there if that's any help at all?

-marko

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 03:59:31 am »

thanks marko. i get the behaviour you are talking about also.

it would be great if they gave an option somewhere to search all or just the "local" database.  wouldn't be so bad if it didn't clear the search bar, but I guess you have to otherwise you will forget that there is a search term filtering your data. 

craig

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 03:01:21 pm »

it would be great if they gave an option somewhere to search all or just the "local" database.

There was some talk of updating the options/behavior/features of the search box a little while ago (maybe a month or two). A "Search whole library" option was one of the suggestions.  I would guess (but I don't know) that the ideas that were talked about are still on the table, but are taking a back seat to the DLNA work that is being done. So it's possible you'll get this option in the future.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 05:01:57 pm »

This would be a great improvement on the user interface. I do this type of search at least a dozen times every day, and each time I have to go back and select the proper item in the tree first then re-type the search. I do have an "all files" in the root; but when I'm somewhere else in the tree, well, you get the picture.

A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Felipe_br

• Recent member
Re: Search Box behavior
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 11:58:11 am »

Yes, I agree that we should be able to "lock" the search criterias using something like a pushpin perhaps.
Pushpin pressed would keep the search criterias on the Search Bar, even if we alternated views.
Pushpin disabled would clear the search criterias as soon we alternate views.

It could be a great improvement on the user interface.
Pages: [1]   Go Up