INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod Nano - sync problem  (Read 5904 times)

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
iPod Nano - sync problem
« on: February 05, 2010, 10:21:27 am »

My son stopped by for a visit and while here asked me to put some music on his Nano. Using the latest build of MC I created a playlist and told MC to sync it to the Nano. All appeared well until finished, when we ejected the Nano only to find it did not "see" the new music. I could see the files in the Nano when viewed in MC.

I formatted the Nano in Windows (Fat32), then had MC initialize it and once again sync'ed it from the playlist. I watched the files convert and transfer, and again could see them in MC as well as in explorer. I was even able to click on a music file from the Nano in Windows and send it to foobar to play successfully.

Unfortunately. the Nano still claims it has 0 files and cannot see or play them.

Having never used an iPod before, what am I doing wrong???
. . . the game is rigged

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: iPod Nano - sync problem
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:07:14 pm »

This is probably a moot point since the 5th gen nano (the one with the camera) has been locked down by apple so we couldn't write to it if we wanted to.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54365.0

I guess I found my answer, his Nano has the video camera in it so must be the one referenced above.   :(
. . . the game is rigged

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:20:18 pm »

Give your pain to Apple.

MitchellK

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 08:18:20 am »

This sucks, I just bought a Nano 5th gen and did a sync and it says "no music" .... WTF .... who the HELL does Apple think they are? I've been in the technology game for 30 years and have never seen such dictatorship.

If Apple gave me the Nano for FREE I would expect to be told what I can and cannot do but this little device certainly was not free yet they dictate to me what I can and cannot do with it. How on earth does this nonsense fly in today's world, and more importantly how does the American Legal System allow such nonsense? Once you pay for the device it belongs to you, where does it say on the packaging of the box that you are paying a handsome fee for this product but it still belongs to Apple Inc ? nowhere did I see that in big red letters on the box.

ITunes sucks :P and Apple has done bugger all to improve it in 9 versions, except make it look prettier and prettier each time which seems about all that Apple is good at these days. ITunes will never have anything on JRiver's capabilities.

Omni

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:34:08 pm »

So is this all true even if we followed the Sticky's advice and never installed iTunes?

I just bought my first iAnything (a iPod Nano to be specific) today, and I am a little dismayed now at the thought that I won't be able to transfer my music over (unless I install evil iTunes and Quicktime):'(

tranglos

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 05:28:44 pm »

So is this all true even if we followed the Sticky's advice and never installed iTunes?

Looks like it is. I bought an iPod nano 5th gen today, never had iTunes on my system. MC recognizes it and writes to it, but no tracks show up on the the iPod, although it does report the used space correctly.

Then I installed iTunes, having read elsewhere that it may be necessary to "initialize" the iPod with iTunes. Didn't help. After I transferred a few tracks using iTunes, MC thinks the iPod is empty now.

Of course iTunes is horrible beyond words. Not only is it incapable of getting cover art correctly, but it can't even transfer albums in a reliable manner! I transferred a single album (one title, one artist), and now the iPod shows the album twice: one "copy" contains the first two tracks, the other "copy" has the remaining eight. How dumb is that?

While Apple is the scourge, there has been plenty of time to update MC to say it does not support the 5th gen iPods. I would probably not have bought the player had I known that iTunes would be my only option. I was certain I'd be able to use MC. And MC still claims to do its work, copying the tracks and all, while the authors know it doesn't really work. That's not right, either, I think.

Skeet

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 02:23:53 am »

It's not right at all. It's my Birthday today, brand new nano now being reboxed and returned. I've been using Ipods on MC/MJ since MJ5 without a problem. I finally find out this one is not compatible. Perhaps this page here should provide a clue http://www.jrmediacenter.com/ipodLP.html . It is at the very least misleading. If J river are not going to or can't support one of the most popular portable media players in the world, I think this should be made a little clearer. I also think it's a little incongruous to say blame apple as it's been locked down, when other independent media playing services work with this device.
Pages: [1]   Go Up