INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA & custom FFmpeg settings for Video Conversion?  (Read 2121 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
DLNA & custom FFmpeg settings for Video Conversion?
« on: February 13, 2010, 07:12:27 pm »

The DLNA server uses FFmpeg to do the on the fly video conversion.  The settings for this are held in C:\Program Files[ (x86)]\J River\Media Center 14\Plugins\ffmpeg.xml and the main one for converting / streaming video (to the PS3 etc) is the <upnpdvd> setting.

The std one MC is using is <upnpdvd>-target ntsc-dvd -ps 2000000000</upnpdvd>

For me (in PAL Land) I found that:
1) Interlaced material looked bad (you could see the separate fields)
2) High Bitrate MKV's we stuttery and we converted to low bit rates of only a couple of mbps (lower that MPG material).

Anyway, I've had a bit of a play with some of the settings as described here ( http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-doc.html ) but given my very limited ffmpeg knowledge I've not gotten very far!
My current setting is <upnpdvd>-target dvd -ps 2000000000 -b 2000k -minrate 2000k -maxrate 4000k -g 300 -deinterlace</upnpdvd> which gives a better result with interlaced material but now some std mpg material appears as "unsupported format" on the PS3.

Has anyone else had a play with these settings, and have any worth trying (eg what about converting to 264 instead of MPEG)?

Thanks
Nathan

JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up