INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stacking delimited fields  (Read 1854 times)

EpF

• Citizen of the Universe
Stacking delimited fields
« on: March 03, 2010, 08:08:19 pm »

Could someone remind me how to set list-type fields to stack in panes? Cheers.

221bBS

Re: Stacking delimited fields
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 08:52:25 pm »

It should do it automatically unless it can't be a list field (defaults are predefined), you didn't set it as a list field when you created it or you're trying to combine 2 or more list fields. Answer to the 3rd is here...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54226.msg374211#msg374211

EpF

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:44:44 pm »

Hmm, it's the 'actors' field; an MC default. I can't really remember how it's supposed to display, but I was expecting a name with a dropdown arrow to see the other names in the list...

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 11:59:05 pm »

I don't understand what you mean by "stack in panes." Like all list fields, an Actors cell—in edit mode—displays a drop-down list of all actors, with the selected ones at the top. Not in edit mode, they appear simply as the semi-colon delimited lists they are.

EpF

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 02:46:54 pm »

I don't understand what you mean by "stack in panes." Like all list fields, an Actors cell—in edit mode—displays a drop-down list of all actors, with the selected ones at the top. Not in edit mode, they appear simply as the semi-colon delimited lists they are.
I seem to remember there was a way to have a list-type field in a pane display as a nested list. I can't remember how it worked - maybe a 'group by' setup - where each entry in the pane was collapsed, and you could expand it to see each entry.

I just experimented with listcombine([director],[actors]) in the hope that I would get a list of [director] entries which I could expand to see a list of actors associated with that director for every file with that director, but I just get a long string of names in the pane, separated by a semi-colon. I thought there was a way to get MC to nest these items in the pane... Have I gone mad?

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 04:26:02 pm »

You might be thinking of a nested list. I import my Actor data as [Name]\[Role], for example. My pane shows a list of actors, each one of which can be expanded to show a list of roles they have played. This is done simply by separating the levels with a "\"—there are no other settings involved.

EpF

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 07:43:58 pm »

That sounds like it. What are the steps? I didn't get what you meant by 'import as [name]\[role]'. Thanks for the help, btw.  ;D

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 08:59:16 pm »

Just append "\test" to any list value, and you'll see what I mean. How you create the data is up to you. I use PvdImport, and fill Actors with the SLQ expression...

Code: [Select]
Select PEOPLE."name" || '\' || CAREER."role"
From PEOPLE Inner join CAREER on (CAREER."pid" = PEOPLE."pid")
Where CAREER."ctype" = 0 And CAREER."mid" = @id

...which concatenates [Name], "\" and [Role]. I suppose I could do something similar with directors and actors, but SQL hurts my brain—and you probably don't use PvdImport anyway. I don't see a way to combine an existing field with an existing list field using an expression. To make matters even more complicated, some movies credit more than one director. I'm tempted to utter the R-word...  :-\

But do you really have any need for this? In a "Panes and Details" view, if you select one particular director, the details pane will show only the movies that director directed, and an actors pane will show only the actors credited in those movies. Isn't that the information you're after?
Pages: [1]   Go Up