INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: there used to be a plugin called playing now...  (Read 3799 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
there used to be a plugin called playing now...
« on: March 20, 2010, 04:31:00 pm »

... and I seem to remember that J River actually purchased it from the developer (James Dickson), but it was one that I actually purchased.

I thought J River was going to implement it into MC, but I don't see that it was ever done.

anyone know the current status of this?

It was a nice small window that I could use to see what was playing, rate the track and also see and rate what was just played.

I have been slacking in rating my new music, and think this plugin would be very helpful to me in rating music while listening at work.

any ideas on getting this working?

thanks.
pretend this is something funny

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
Re: there used to be a plugin called playing now...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:31:42 pm »

I second the request.  It was a great little plugin. 
It would be great to see it as part of the default package now.
Cheers!

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 03:39:21 am »

Me too!!

I can't imagine using MC without this plugin. It still works, kind of.

There's a bug in there somewhere that causes MC to crash when the plugin generates tooltips.
Just before Christmas, I began working with Rhinobanga on fixing this. I have a new .dll file that doesn't cause crashes, but also, doesn't obey the custom colours specified in the skin ini.
All has gone quiet on that front now. I've not chased it on because I'm not crashing anymore, though control over tooltip appearance would be nice to have back.

I use a 'winshades' type skin, like so:

Which gives me complete control over MC, allows rating tracks, and lots of useful info available via tooltips.
MC 15 should include this by default.

Just before JRiver stepped in, the playingnow plugin stepped up a version to 1.3, and the price went up to £5 GBP. If you still have your license file, it should still work today.
I can help you if you need a 1.3 setup file. The 1.2 version on the plugin pages has a few bugs with it, and I'm unsure if it will even work with the latest releases of MC.

JRiver aquired the plugin almost four years ago, and as they haven't incorporated it into MC thus far, nor given it any development time, I guess it's fair to say that it's not high on their list of priorities.

I'm all for pushing it up the list though, consider me signed up already :)

-marko.

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 06:02:09 am »

Yes, would be great to have it integrated in MC  :)

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:14:31 pm »

I love it!  I keep hoping the folks at http://www.cdartdisplay.com/ will port their program to MC but no luck.

I've been working on some new skins for Playing Now that I will share soon.  Here's a shot of one:

Viva Playing Now!
Pages: [1]   Go Up