INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Search for Lyrics  (Read 3356 times)

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
Feature Request: Search for Lyrics
« on: April 05, 2010, 04:58:35 pm »

Can we get a "Search for Lyrics" feature added?

A lot of times, I'm listening to something and think "What are the lyrics to this song?" It would be nice to be able right click and select "Search for Lyrics." Submitting a Google search or some other engine using tag info should do the trick.

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Request: Search for Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 05:51:26 pm »

I vote for
http://lyrics.wikia.com/Main_Page

From what I know this is a legal lyric site

rick.ca

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 06:12:53 pm »

You can add whatever search links you want using Tools - Links - Manage Links... or right-clicking on the right-hand-side of the tab bar (where the links appear). Following is a link for Wikia that can be pasted into Manage Links.

Code: [Select]
<Link version="1.1">
<Item Name="Name">WikiaLyrics</Item>
<Item Name="Filter">[Media Type]=[Audio]</Item>
<Item Name="Action">2</Item>
<Item Name="Base URL">http://lyrics.wikia.com</Item>
<Item Name="Search URL">http:////lyrics.wikia.com//Special:Search?search=[artist]+[name]&amp;go=1&amp</Item>
</Link>

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:16:16 pm »

You can add whatever search links you want using Tools - Links - Manage Links... or right-clicking on the right-hand-side of the tab bar (where the links appear). Following is a link for Wikia that can be pasted into Manage Links.

Yet another feature that I didn't realize was in there or what to use it for - and yet another single thing about MC worth the price of admission.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:29:16 pm »

OK, odd bug here:
Follow a link.
Copy some tag data from that link.
Paste the tag data in to MC15 (using the tag window).
Leave the record and come back and the tag data is gone.
After following a link, I have to select another track, reselect the original track and THEN paste the data for it to stick.

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:46:10 pm »

<Link version="1.1">
<Item Name="Name">WikiaLyrics</Item>
<Item Name="Filter">[Media Type]=[Audio]</Item>
<Item Name="Base URL">http://lyrics.wikia.com</Item>
<Item Name="Search URL">http:////lyrics.wikia.com//Special:Search?search=[artist]+[name]&amp;go=1&amp</Item>
</Link>
Well that's cool. Never noticed that before. Thanks! The defaults are useless to me.

I made a link just like yours except I surrounded my Artist and Name with Hexify() for safety sake.

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 02:00:38 am »

I made a link just like yours except I surrounded my Artist and Name with Hexify() for safety sake.

I might do that too, if I understood what it's for. :-\

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 06:14:42 pm »

I might do that too, if I understood what it's for. :-\

It makes the returned data 'url safe' where it uses things like %20 instead of \ (probably have the wrong hex code but you get the idea).

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 10:42:43 pm »

OIC. Thanks. I'm not positive this is correct, but I think this is the list of reserved characters..

";", "/", "?", ":", "@", "&", "=", "+", "$" and ","

...which I suppose occur more frequently in a search terms than I may think. But not all websites are alike. For Allmusic links, for example, I find Hexify() only makes things worse. For now, I'm using Replace() to replace spaces with "|" and "&" with "and". I haven't a clue how their searches work. Often they don't—even from the website. But I've got it working for my favourite test artist—? & The Mysterians—so I'll just keep replacing characters as the need arises. 8)

Daydream

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 11:06:57 pm »

Isn't it this counter-productive to query a site every time I wanna see lyrics?

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 12:13:41 am »

Isn't it this counter-productive to query a site every time I wanna see lyrics?

Yes. But what do you do if you want the lyrics for a new track or one your lyrics downloader missed or got wrong? And a search link is the perfect solution for those who only want to see lyrics on an ad hoc basis.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 12:58:44 am »

Make that yet another user that  smacks his head and says "wow how did I miss that feature before now". :)

vagskal

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 12:16:03 pm »

This might be a bit off topic, but since the Hexify() function and cleaning up search strings are discussed I hope you do not mind.

I could use some help regarding the "Swedish" characters åäö in search strings. I have a link like this:

<Link version="1,1">
<Item Name="Name">SMDB</Item>
<Item Name="Filter"/>
<Item Name="Base URL">http://smdb.kb.se</Item>
<Item Name="Search URL">http:////smdb.kb.se//catalog//search?q=Hexify(Replace(Replace([artist] [album], ,+), |))+typ:fonogram#</Item>
</Link>

I have tried the link with and without the Hexify() function, but it does not work with åäö in the artist or file name. Is there a way to change the åäö to something that can be understood? I had hoped that Hexify() would do that.

(If you are wondering about the replace | with nothing instruction in the code, this is just because I use | as a delimiter for multiple values in one field.)

flac.rules

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 01:40:09 am »

Nice, this is a very helpful thread. Although i would like to have som more stream-lined way to add lyrics, in the same spirit as cover-art downloading, that downloads and puts the lyrics in tags. Is there a standard for lyrics when it comes to timestamps, or are they usually without that information? If some lyrics have tht, i think it would be preferable to hae a source compatible with that. Or even more ambitious, a simple speech regnotion that tries to match it up automatically? I realise the last suggestion probably is a lot of work, but just food for thought.

rick.ca

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 04:34:05 am »

There are third party apps that download and play synchronized lyrics. This topic may help.

flac.rules

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 08:31:52 am »

There are third party apps that download and play synchronized lyrics. This topic may help.

Thanks for å useful link, seems like they can work for know, but its a bit of a hassle to copy lyrics from an external program, so it would be really nice if this could be implmented into MC.

rick.ca

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 02:33:26 pm »

Lyrics are copyrighted, so JRiver would have to have a licensing arrangement with a commercial database. The topic I referenced discusses problems getting lyrics with MiniLyrics. I do wish that incompatibility would be resolved. But I'm sure there are alternatives (like Jaikoz) that have no difficulty writing lyrics to tags in a form MC can read.

flac.rules

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 03:16:24 pm »

Lyrics are copyrighted, so JRiver would have to have a licensing arrangement with a commercial database. The topic I referenced discusses problems getting lyrics with MiniLyrics. I do wish that incompatibility would be resolved. But I'm sure there are alternatives (like Jaikoz) that have no difficulty writing lyrics to tags in a form MC can read.
Ok, I know very little about american law, but there is quite a lot of programs and media-prgrams that picks up metadata from various sources on the internet. It would be really nice to have more of that type of meta-data-fetching implmented in MC (including lyrics). Hopefully it can be solved somehow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up