INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC vs MP3 and IDTags and MC15 Library (how is data stored + feature question)  (Read 2745 times)

ajowers

• World Citizen

Hi,

Ultimately my questions below are aimed at finding a feature or making a feature request (if its feasible).

I am using all FLAC on my MC15 server and understadn that with MP3's ID tags information is stored within the mp3 files themselves.

Can someone explain how the genre, artist, track name, covert art, etc is stored when I use FLAC ?  Does FLAC support embedding meta data like this within the files ?

My question has a motive..... Suppose I have ripped an obscure CD into FLAC and its not found online. AS a result I spend a good bit of time inputting genre, artist, date, downloading cover art, etc....

Now suppose a friend comes over who also has MC15 and wants a copy of this CD.  If I stick in a thumbdrive and copy the folder from the hard drive and he takes it home and copies it into his "my music" and MC15 imports it, will it have all the album configuration and artwork?  (It could also be that I have two Media Centers, one at home and one at my office and I want to copy selected files back and forth without having to reinput all the meta data and covert art again.)

Is there an Library tool that can "export now playing" metadata and cover art feature for example ?

Thanks in advance.  If this is in the wrong forum please move it to the correct one.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

FLAC supports internal tags.  MC will store the metadata in the file.  Storage of the cover art in the file is optional, depending on your settings for "Also store image in file".  Use MC's Search window in options to find it.

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
  • The body cannot live without the mind

ajowers,

See this MC Wiki page for info on how to tell if a file contains embedded tag info:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Check_if_a_file_contains_tag_information

ajowers

• World Citizen

Thanks I appreciate the help.

Vocalpoint

FLAC supports internal tags.  MC will store the metadata in the file.  Storage of the cover art in the file is optional, depending on your settings for "Also store image in file".  Use MC's Search window in options to find it.

Jim,

I just ripped a new CD using 15.0.38 to FLAC and the resultant file has no embedded tag data whatsoever.
To clarify - I do see metadata when the files are played/viewed from within MC. However if I right click on the folder and load the contents into Tag n' Rename (my standard tagging app)...all the key fields contain no data.

Is there an option I do not have checked? Ideas?

Cheers!

VP

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

Did you do what is explained here: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Check_if_a_file_contains_tag_information ?
The "detailed format info" display in Action Window > Tag shows the physical file tags. It should look like this:

Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC)
  44.1 kHz Sample Rate
  16 Bits Per Sample
  2 Channels

Min Block Size = 4096
  Max Block Size = 4096
  Min Frame Size = 3637
  Max Frame Size = 14371
  Padding Block = 8014 bytes

SeekTable Block (342 bytes):
  # of points = 19

Vorbis Comment Block (380 bytes):
  Vendor String =
  TOOL NAME = Media Center
  TOOL VERSION = 15.0.23
  INTENSITY = 4
  TRACKNUMBER = 3
  BPM = 97
  ALBUM = Hôtel Costes, Vol. 11
  TITLE = Soda Pop Confusion
  GENRE = Electronic, House, Lounge
  REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN = -5.60 dB
  DATE = 2008
  REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK = 0.804350
  ALBUM ARTIST = Stéphane Pompougnac
  ARTIST = Variety Lab

If the tags are missing from the "detailed format info" display you might have the general tagging option disabled (= unticked) in "Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Vocalpoint

Did you do what is explained here: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Check_if_a_file_contains_tag_information ?
The "detailed format info" display in Action Window > Tag shows the physical file tags. It should look like this:

If the tags are missing from the "detailed format info" display you might have the general tagging option disabled (= unticked) in "Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes".

Alex,

I did what you indicated earlier via the Action window and there was no data. and yes - I did not have the option ticked that you indicated - so there's my issue.

Gentle change request - perhaps consider rebranding the label of that checkbox or add perhaps add another under Options->CD & DVD that says "Always embed tag data into files where possible" or similar.

Honestly - when I see "Update tags when file info changes" - I do not make any logical connection with ripping CD's or anything for that matter. The way I read this right now - makes me think that tags will be updated if I do any sort of editing/changes to files that already exist in the library. Hence the reason I did not have it checked.

Thanks again...I will try my rip again.

Cheers!

VP

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

I will try my rip again

If you are speaking about the already ripped discs you can simply select the FLAC files and do "Library Tools > Update Tags (from library)".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Vocalpoint

If you are speaking about the already ripped discs you can simply select the FLAC files and do "Library Tools > Update Tags (from library)".

Well - I want to test this again...with that option on - to confirm it's working.

EDIT: It worked perfectly. Thanks again!

Cheers!

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up