INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginner Going network.... help needed.  (Read 1324 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Beginner Going network.... help needed.
« on: June 27, 2011, 11:35:38 am »

Hi guys, I've been using MC for a good while, with a library server, HTPC, 2 Soundbridges, and a BT Internet Radio. Everything working fine, very happy. My server is getting bigger all the time, and ideally I'd like it to go to standby, with WOL. This is all set up and working for the HTPC and my other PCs to wake it up when needed, but the media players are more of a problem. The Soundbridges have no WOL capability, and I'd be very surprised if the BT radio (early Receiva, locked firmware) can either.

So as an alternative, I'm looking to see if there is a way of using one or more of our mobiles to run things instead. I've had a bit of a look round on the wiki and various posts, but I'm getting a bit lost, so any guidance would be much appreciated. There are plenty of WOL apps available, so that isnt a problem. So, is there an app I can use to drive MC (on the server?) to then stream to the Soundbridges (M1000s).

Sorry to ask dumb questions.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Beginner Going network.... help needed.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:22:15 am »

OK, I'm getting there, slowly but surely. These will soundlike small steps, but it's a steep learning curve for me at least. Server now happily drops into standby, but is woken either manually from various PCs or automatically when either of the HTPCs fires up out of standby. May be old news, but I've done this with a combination of

http://www.matcode.com/wol.htm            for the WOL batch command

and

http://win7suspendresume.codeplex.com/        for when the HTPCs resume.

For the media players, I've got one of the free apps on my iphone to WOL if necessary. I've opened up media streaming on the server and succesfully played audio from MC to one of the 2 Soundbridges. Excellent stuff

The missing link is then an app on the phone to drive MC. Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 10:50:51 am »

The missing link is then an app on the phone to drive MC. Any ideas?
Gizmo on Android.  WebRemote on iPhone.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:59:59 am »

Working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant, truly excellent.

Re the iphone, are there any plans for a app in the future?
Pages: [1]   Go Up