INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Access Control  (Read 7551 times)

Coolhighend

• Recent member
DLNA Access Control
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:08:41 am »

I am configuring DNLA services with MC15 15.0.32 for my Samsung BD-C6900 Blu-Ray player. Compared to other DNLA solutions I have to say that MC15 is better by a wide margin. I would like to define which DNLA devices do have access to the server and which not. Other solutions as the Samsung PC Share Manger give me a list of available devices in my subnet and then I can either reject or accept them. I found a user control for the library web services, but how do I restrict access of TV's and other DLNA clients? Did I just miss the point?
Thanks for your help.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DNLA Access Control
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 03:39:28 pm »

It's not currently possible define access rights for a DLNA server on a per-client basis.

Could you describe a little more why you would like this, and how the configuration might work? 

It seems like having a white list of IP addresses for each server might work, but this won't work well for DHCP users.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Coolhighend

• Recent member
Re: DNLA Access Control
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 06:14:09 am »

I am using my server in a quite extended network with many and changing users. The dedicated devices, such as my Sony Bravia, Samsung TV or Blu-Ray player are configured once and I do not need access control for them.

The problem is that I have many users in my subnet who can access the DNLA services by any computer or laptop running WIN7 for example. If I do not have any control who is allowed to access the server, I will provide "free movies" for everybody, and this is not my intension.

The Samsung PC share manager displays a list of active DNLA clients in the network, displaying their IP as well as MAC number. I then can choose to reject or accept them for future use of the server. I assume that the MAC number is stored for access control, as it is a unique identification and changing IP adresses won't matter.

Would be great to see this feature within MC!

StarBand Guy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I might be a porcupine.
Re: DLNA Access Control
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:51:54 pm »

I have a similar need although for a different reason having to do with a tv receiver.

mmlevin

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 11:30:46 pm »

This is something I've wanted for a LONG time.  It seems that with the ability to have multiple (virtual) servers running, the ability to have each virtual server have a "whitelist" of either IP or Mac addresses would fill the bill, and shouldn't be that difficult to implement.  Basically, by doing that, you could have a "PG" rated virtual server for the kids and a wide-open one for the adults.  By using the existing capability to define what materials are available to the virtual server, the only piece missing is the ability to decide which devices can access which server.

The only other DLNA access feature which would be useful is time-based access.  If you could either turn virtual servers on/off by schedule or restrict access to IP/Macs by schedule, you could keep the kids off the system at inappropriate times.  But that is completely secondary to fundamental access control.

This would be a great improvement.

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 11:30:54 am »

Has this been addressed yet?  I'm setting up a PS3 to network with MC15 and if it's possible I'd love to be able to set up Access Control to limit what can be viewed through the PS3.  Thanks!

Coolhighend

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 03:49:42 am »

I use the following access control - works flawlessly:

1. Configure a DLNA instance under Media-Network, name it PS3 or whatever
2. Configure the view you want, what folder or videos should be presented
3. Give PS3 a fixed IP number
4. Check on which port this DLNA instance is running
5. Use the Windows Firewall configuration to define an incoming rule, allowing the server port only to be accessed by the specific PS3 IP.

The DLNA instance will only be listed on your PS3 and not on other DLNA clients
Pages: [1]   Go Up