INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC can't see files in shared drive folder  (Read 20430 times)

starker

• Recent member
MC can't see files in shared drive folder
« on: July 17, 2011, 07:28:08 pm »

I have a Buffalo Cloudstor NAS drive with Pogoplug software.  The Pogoplug software allows me to share files and folders with other computers and let's me keep my music in a personal cloud.  The problem is when I use the software to create a virtual drive on other computers.  I can open the folder and see the mp3 files.  I can even play them using Windows Media Player.  However when I try to open the file using Media Center as the default player, clicking on the file will only open MC, but wont play.  If I try to open the folder with the file explorer in MC, MC will see the folders but not the files.  And if I try to import the files in the folder, MC will say x number of files not sucesfully imported.  (x being the number of mp3 files actually in the folder)

Why would MC not see, play or import these files, when Windows Media Player can?

Tried this on Vista, Window7 Ultimate 32 bit and 64 bit, and ran into the same problem on all systems.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: MC can't see files in shared drive folder
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 08:58:11 pm »

Sounds like file permissions are not allowing read-access to the files for the user running MC.

Are you familiar with Windows share file permissions?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

starker

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 07:02:15 pm »

I am familiar with file share permissions.  The users CAN read the files fine using explorer or Windows Media Player, just not with Media Center.  Are there separate permissions that need to be set just for MC?  If so I can't find them.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:24:14 pm »

No, no separate permissions for MC.

As long as the share and the share files/directories are readable to the user that is running MC, then share permissions should not be an issue.

If you are saying that other players on the same system can read (i.e. play) the exact same files, then permissions would not be the problem.  I realized this when I responded, but just assumed that something in the problem description may have been loose, because this doesn't seem typical, and some of the facts stated be at first glance seem contradictory.

Was MC installed as admin?

Is MC configured to use the file types you're trying to play/import?  Options > File Types.  (even this does not explain why MC's Explorer would not be able to see the files in a directory).

Any A/V getting in the way?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

starker

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 06:06:10 pm »

Yeah, it's the strangest thing.  I cant figure it out.  My only guess, is that it has something to do with the fact the files are on a virtual drive (not a mapped drive) that accesses the data off the Cloudstor server.  But the problem reading the files seems to be exclusively with MC.  (although I haven't tried using iTunes yet to see if it has the same problem.)

nersinhu

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 02:47:28 am »

I have a Buffalo Cloudstor NAS drive with Pogoplug software.  The Pogoplug software allows me to share files and folders with other computers and let's me keep my music in a personal cloud.  The problem is when I use the software to create a virtual drive on other computers.  I can open the folder and see the mp3 files.  I can even play them using Windows Media Player.  However when I try to open the file using Media Center as the default player, clicking on the file will only open MC, but wont play.  If I try to open the folder with the file explorer in MC, MC will see the folders but not the files.  And if I try to import the files in the folder, MC will say x number of files not sucesfully imported.  (x being the number of mp3 files actually in the folder)

Why would MC not see, play or import these files, when Windows Media Player can?

Tried this on Vista, Window7 Ultimate 32 bit and 64 bit, and ran into the same problem on all systems.
I'm having a similar problem here too...  :-X

wittykitty

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 03:46:51 pm »

I run MC off a RAID array which I had to set permissions on.  Permissions on MC weren't a problem, but I had to go into the RAID control panel and ensure read/write settings were correct so MC could access them.  ARe there settings in Buffalo you need to check?
Pages: [1]   Go Up