INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will we be able to enter multiple Genres\Artist's to tags in the future?  (Read 35313 times)

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe

Hmmm...I tried creating a genres field using your [Genre] & datatype = [ list ] string but it only shows me the first value, not the second and third etc. So if my genre tag is "folk; folk rock" the songs will only show up when I select "folk" and not also under "folk rock." Am I doing something wrong? Sorry for the noob questions but maybe I'm dense too.  ?

it still works for me. but i think i know where it goes 'wrong'. you are making a field in the libray, not just in a view. when you go back to that field [genres] in the library manager, first choose 'user data' instaed of calculated, and set the data type to list. then close the library manager. open the library manager again and now set it to calculated data...

does that do the trick  8)

:)
gab

dbdog

• Recent member

Hi Gappie,

I see the problem. The [Genre]&datatype=[li st] only works for mp3 files. Flac files only show the first genre in a delimited list. Any suggestions?

it still works for me. but i think i know where it goes 'wrong'. you are making a field in the libray, not just in a view. when you go back to that field [genres] in the library manager, first choose 'user data' instaed of calculated, and set the data type to list. then close the library manager. open the library manager again and now set it to calculated data...

does that do the trick  8)

gab

vagskal

Re: Will we be able to enter multiple Genres\Artist's to tags in the future?
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2011, 10:34:58 am »

Do you perhaps have multiple genre tags in your flac files (the "standard" for flac files/Vorbis comments)? MC can only read one tag with the same name in the same file. If that is the case you can use MP3Tag to combine the separate genre tags into one genre tag separated by ; and then update your MC library from the file tags.

gappie

Hi Gappie,

I see the problem. The [Genre]&datatype=[li st] only works for mp3 files. Flac files only show the first genre in a delimited list. Any suggestions?

no, not realy. it works for me for all my files including ape. and when the database field [genre] is rightly filled then it schould work. so maybe what vagskal says, or maybe the flacfiles show a different delimiter (so not : but for instance ; or , ).

gab

ps, what version are you using. something has changed with mc17 (might be a bug).

dbdog

• Recent member

no, not realy. it works for me for all my files including ape. and when the database field [genre] is rightly filled then it schould work. so maybe what vagskal says, or maybe the flacfiles show a different delimiter (so not : but for instance ; or , ).

gab

ps, what version are you using. something has changed with mc17 (might be a bug).

You nailed it Gappie. MediaMonkey was storing multiple semicolon seperated genres with a "\\" as the separator. While it was able to read them properly, MC wasn't and only saw the first one. I'm using MP3Tag to fix it. Unfortunately I'm having to do it manually since iI think the scripting language is not recognizing \\ as a character to be replaced. I'm new at it's scripting for sure.

Should I be concerned about upgrading to mc17?

Cheers and thanks again,
dbdog

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2011, 12:25:24 pm »

What does everyone do with there cellphone syncs? if we were allowed to have multiple genres then your phone syncs would be able to show artists in multiple genres. but now using keywords an artist is only showed in one genre, because genres cannot have more then one entry. thanks.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

Unfortunately I'm having to do it manually since iI think the scripting language is not recognizing \\ as a character to be replaced. I'm new at it's scripting for sure.

You should be able to automate this easily enough - ask over at the mp3tag forums before spending too much time.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

vagskal

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2011, 04:09:22 pm »

If you are seeing // in the tag in MP3Tag that means you have multiple genre tags. There is an "action" in MP3Tag to combine multiple tags into one tag with ; separation which can be handled in MC.

The MP3Tag forum is not a particularly friendly forum. This is. Ask here first if you need additional help.

dbdog

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2011, 10:25:13 pm »

If you are seeing // in the tag in MP3Tag that means you have multiple genre tags. There is an "action" in MP3Tag to combine multiple tags into one tag with ; separation which can be handled in MC.

The MP3Tag forum is not a particularly friendly forum. This is. Ask here first if you need additional help.

Thanks so much for this suggestion, vagskal. Upon examination you were correct - they were being stored as two separate genre tags. I was able to create an "action" in MP3tag to merge duplicate fields and replace with a semicolon separator and it worked perfectly. Greatly appreciated!!!

I wish MC would just recognize multiple tags but I understand if it not top priority.

supercaptain

• Recent member

I've found that I can't enter multiple artists since using MC17. This is the most pertinent thread that I've found relating to this issue. I created my own field in the library called Genres (plural) using semicolon delimited list as explained earlier in this thread- since MC 12 or so. Gappie states that there may be a bug with MC 17.

gab

If this is the case, is this something that's being worked on? Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2012, 01:30:26 pm »

17.0.76 (1/25/2012)
NEW: Artist, Genre, Composer, and Conductor are list-type fields.

More here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69469.0
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 04:17:08 pm »

AWESOME!!!
This Rocks!

I'm assuming safest/quickest way to accomplish this with our libraries, is to just use move/copy fields? then all we need to do is change all our views in standard view, gizmo, , webplay, theaterview from Artist/S and Keywords to Artist, and Genre? and we should be rocking?
Thanks!

supercaptain

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2012, 04:19:20 pm »

Thanks Matt,
I solved my multiple genres problem and now have the little check boxes visible again next to all my custom genres. This is what I did: Tools/Options/Manage Library Fields/Data/User Data, then under
Data type: list(semicolon delimited)
Relational: Not Relational
Edit Type: List
checked the Save in Tags box

Seems like such a simple solution now that it works again. Thanks for your help!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up