INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: importing mp3 created with wmp  (Read 5224 times)

wolfgangx58

importing mp3 created with wmp
« on: May 19, 2010, 04:57:00 am »

I'm working with media center 13 now for 1 year. Before I worked with windows media player (WMP) and managed all the detail-informations of my files. One (for me important) information I set in the field "Stimmung" (that is german and means: mood, tune, atmosphere).
When I started with media center I imported all my mp3 data into media center 13. The only filed that hasn't  shown up was "Stimmung".
I filled in all fields of a track in WMP and imported it into media center just to find out if there is another filed I can use instead of "Stimmung", but it didn't work.
Is there any solution that can help?

Wolfgang (from Germany)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: importing mp3 created with wmp
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 07:38:17 am »

Unfortunately WMP writes its "Mood" tag to a private ID3v2.3 frame. WMP uses the string "VM/Mood" as an identifier.

Here is quote from www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0 -> Private frame:
4.28. Private frame

This frame is used to contain information from a software producer that its program uses and does not fit into the other frames. The frame consists of an 'Owner identifier' string and the binary data. The 'Owner identifier' is a null-terminated string with a URL containing an email address, or a link to a location where an email address can be found, that belongs to the organisation responsible for the frame. Questions regarding the frame should be sent to the indicated email address. The tag may contain more than one "PRIV" frame but only with different contents. It is recommended to keep the number of "PRIV" frames as low as possible.

<Header for 'Private frame', ID: "PRIV">
Owner identifier        <text string> $00
The private data        <binary data>

It is not possible for a program developer to create tag reader that would support any arbitrary PRIV frame because the data structure inside such frames is not defined by the ID3v2.3 standard.

I tried my favorite (in addition to MC) tagger program Mp3tag, but it wasn't able to read a PRIV VM/Mood frame either. (The problem I explained above is mentioned also at the Mp3tag user forum).

In order to support PRIV VM/Mood a developer would need to specifically study files that contain those tags and create dedicated code that can read them.

However, I found a workaround that you can use for permanently changing the files if you just want to preserve the tag values and don't need them in WMP anymore:

Tag & Rename supports this tag. Apparently its developer has taken the steps that are needed to add PRIV WM/Mood support. I am not recommending T&R in general (IMHO, the free Mp3tag program is better if any tagger outside MC is needed), but it can resolve this specific problem. I tested its "Swap Tag Fields" tool. I swapped "Mood" with "Label". T&R stores the label tag in the TPUB ID3v2.3 frame. MC can read TPUB. The value shows up in the Publisher library field. Inside MC you can move the values to your preferred field.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

wolfgangx58

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:14:37 am »

Thanks. I hope I can manage it (if I can get along with your description - because my English is not as good as it looks like and my experience in EDP could be rather worse).
I'll respond when I got through.

Wolfgang

wolfgangx58

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 02:58:13 pm »

Thanx a lot. it worked.
 ;D

Wolfgang

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 03:50:02 pm »

I am glad it worked for you.

Perhaps the JRiver developers could add support for PRIV WM/Mood. MC already supports most of the tag fields that WMP can write and this would be a nice addition for those who are moving from WMP to MC.

Currently MC imports the COMM MusicMatch_Mood, TXXX Mood (ID3v2.3) and TMOO (ID3v2.4) frame values to the Mood library field. The developers would just need to add PRIV WM/Mood to the list.

No changes would be needed to tag writing. MC should continue to write the TXXX Mood (ID3v2.3) or TMOO (ID3v2.4) frame.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up