INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update error  (Read 2522 times)

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
Update error
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:13:15 pm »

I downloaded the trial version of MC 15 build 0.3 and5 I liked it and pay for the licence, every day there seems to be a new build and I have tried to update
my version by using search for updates, it returns there are no updates available at this time, how do I update to the current version? I have been a registred user for less than a week.........last time I tried to install the registration key to my other computer, I had an Email saying that I used one of my ten
free registration keys....confusing since there was an option to use the key
for two weeks...Also when using the skin Acajou in theater wiew and trying to leave the wiew it locks up my (both) computer....so I need to reboot the system...Why is this software full of bugs, and need to be rebuilt every other day?

Blue Boy

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Update error
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:24:56 pm »

The current build is at the top of this board.

You can download it and pick 'Express' to upgrade your current version.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 01:25:05 pm »

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 01:47:58 pm »

Well there is no explanation why I had to use one out of ten registration keys, it says that sometimes the minor uppdates is not found in the search for updates, but to go from build 35 (the one downloaded from the download page) and found out that there has been new builds almost every day is not what I can say is minor updates it is a software still under developing.....but I will try the express version that was pointed out for me.....still I think it sucks.....comparing to other softwares I bought licenses to...at least they offers automatic updates.......

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 01:59:36 pm »

We don't push updates unless we think they are significant or important or critical.  The system we use has been reliable over many years.

If you always want the latest, then visit the MC15 board once or twice a week.  If you want the most stable, use the download page.

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 02:35:27 pm »

Might be, I tried to download the latest build to update the current version, I got a new download and if I want to use that one I have to go all over again and add all my entries as they are and will be in Wav. I expected the express update to be an update of my running version to the latest build, or have I missed something here, I was installing it express mode.....

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 02:45:21 pm »

The steps are:

1.  Download a build.  An update is the same as a new install.

2.  Install it by running the executeable.  No need to uninstall.

3.  Run it.

If that didn't work for you, exactly what did happen?

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 03:18:23 pm »

I did it the way Matt wrote earlier in this thread: Downloaded it from the latest build link and run the express install. What happened was that I got a brand new version and the latest build. From the downloadpage I can't find any other option than this. Where is the direction that you are refeering to? Executeable?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 03:33:59 pm »

I did it the way Matt wrote earlier in this thread: Downloaded it from the latest build link and run the express install. What happened was that I got a brand new version and the latest build.
That sounds good.  It's what should happen.  It's how you should update.

Any problems?

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 03:50:00 pm »

yes the problem is that I ended up with a new "clean" 46 version besides my old....build 35, and the new build 46 version donīt have my from 35 build added wav. albums..........

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 05:13:16 pm »

Does an express install find and update a portable install? I suppose it could, but I wouldn't expect it to. :-\

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 12:20:37 am »

My install is om my external HD. But why shouldn't Mediacenter be able to uppdate it?

rick.ca

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 12:38:24 am »

But why shouldn't Media Center be able to update it?

I'm sure it can. I just don't think it reasonable to expect that it will using the "express" install.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: (Update error) registration and portable install
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 04:14:06 am »

- to lessen the possible confusion with the registration key file:

have been a registred user for less than a week.........last time I tried to install the registration key to my other computer, I had an Email saying that I used one of my ten free registration keys....confusing since there was an option to use the key for two weeks...

If the purchase process went through without problems, the installed MC instance you used for buying your license is already registered and stays like that when you install a newer build on top of it (it must be the same main version though, e.g. v. 15). No re-registration is needed. Don't change the computer name in Windows settings because that will make MC think that it is not registered on the "new" computer and you will need to re-registerer.

For registering MC on another computer without going to the license restore site you need a valid key file. The registration key is stored in a file that was sent to you as an email attachment. You will need to save the attached file as a separate file somewhere on your computer.

The key file has the filename extension .mjr and it contains a few lines of cryptic code (i.e. it is a small file, a bit over one kilobyte). A .mjr file is valid for two weeks. Remember to check the computer date and time before using the file.

Naturally you must somehow provide access to a copy of the .mjr file when you register another MC instance. You can copy it over LAN or use a USB flash drive or an external hard drive.

To install the license from a key file file you can press the restore button in the first splash screen and then select the "Restore license from file (.mjr)" option:

The registered MC instances on the other computers behave like the first instance. No re-registration is needed when a newer MC build is installed on top of an older build.

If the .mjr file has expired (i.e. it is older than 14 days) you will need to get a new key file from the restore site. The amount of available key files is limited to 10 per a year. Each used key file "comes back" a year after it was used.

The email you got contains also your personal registration code in the message body. That code is not the key file. You can use it on the restore site for getting a new key file.

- possible registration or update issues if you have a used the portable install option:

I have not used the portable install for a long time. I must try it again before posting anything. Stand by...
If anyone else has recent experiences of updating a portable MC instance, please tell about them. Mr ChriZ?

Disclaimer: The above is based on my personal experience and the official purchase FAQ at http://www.jrmediacenter.com/buy_15.html (more info is available there). I am not working for JRiver. To: JimH, if I got anything wrong please feel free to correct me.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 01:28:43 pm »

First of all, yesterday I was real angry for not get the update to the new build working out, I apoligize for that. Today I tried it again and as stated earlier I run MC 15 on an external HD, I do that because it gives me the opportunty to add new CD ripps, scans and some info I like to add in the room I store my records. I use a small desktop pc and there is no way one can do all that work at the hifi rack.

So today I started a new download, but this time NOT the express install, that gave me the option to select folder
and I pointed the install to the MC folder at my external drive, a moment later it was fixed I'm now running the latest build, and all my entries are still there and working.

Sorry for my "bad" behaviour and hope my experience can be useful to others with portable install. Still I have another question but I starting that in another thread.

I must say, you guys seems to be on this board answering questions 24/7 do you never sleep? (nope that wasn't the question)

Blue Boy

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 01:33:10 pm »

You're a good person to apologize.  Thank  you.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
Re: (Update error) registration and portable install
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 03:43:23 pm »

- to lessen the possible confusion with the registration key file:
- possible registration or update issues if you have a used the portable install option:

I have not used the portable install for a long time. I must try it again before posting anything. Stand by...
If anyone else has recent experiences of updating a portable MC instance, please tell about them. Mr ChriZ?

Disclaimer: The above is based on my personal experience and the official purchase FAQ at http://www.jrmediacenter.com/buy_15.html (more info is available there). I am not working for JRiver. To: JimH, if I got anything wrong please feel free to correct me.

I run my system as a portable install.  I registered MC 15 when it first came out, and have been upgrading through the versions ever since.  I can't say I've done a registration recently, but as far as the upgrades go it's working fine.  I know my work laptop needs registering though so I will dig it out tomorrow and test it there.

[Edit]

I have just read the posts above.  Express install does not work for Portable Installs.
It does make it more hassle.  I would like to see the main machine on which a portable install is installed remember the locations of the portable install and allow you to select it from a drop down, as currently I have to go hunting around paths as to where my install is, and it's easy to make a mistake.
Also when MC asks you if you would like to 'download an update and install', it would be nice if the running version of Media Center could pass through that it is a portable install to the newly downloaded installer, and update more automatically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up