INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC15 using Freeview DVB in the UK  (Read 2419 times)

Kraznet

• Recent member
MC15 using Freeview DVB in the UK
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:53:10 am »

Hi there ,
I think this may be my first post here so hello from London UK :)
I've just upgraded to MC15 and I thought I would have a go at getting the TV working. I am using a Hauppauge Win TV HVR 1300 TV card. I've scanned all the channels which seems to work okay although I get duplicates of each channel. Unfortunately so far the only channels which actually play are Sky News and Sky Sports News and Sky Three.

I can't get any of the BBC or ITV channels to work or any radio. When I click on any of these channels I get a "starting TV.. " message at the top. Then a message along the bottom saying "timeout waiting for writer to start  possible cause: no signal of faulty device " . I would be grateful for any advice or help as it would be nice to use MC 15 as my TV playback device.Thanks in advance .

Regards
Kraznet
Asus P7P55D | Intel i5 750 2.66ghz|4GB G-Skill DDR3 | 2 x 24" Samsung |ATI Radeon HD 4500 PCI-E |Windows  XP Pro sp3 | RME Multiface | Hauppague Win TV HVR1300

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: MC15 using Freeview DVB in the UK
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 02:05:18 pm »

Hello and welcome!

Would you be able to tune to those channels if you turn off "Start digital television in time-shifting mode" option?  If you can tune to the channel, what then happens if you turn time-shifting on (by clicking the Pause button, or by using right-click menu)?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 04:47:41 pm »

Welcome to the fourms and MC!

I've seen a similar issue recently as well.

As Yaobing suggests, turn off timeshifting as a test.

Also test if you can you change from a working channel to one that doesn't start, as I've found that although some channels won't start I can sometims change to them once playback has started.

Ie.  Start Skynews and then use the OSD (Press UP arrow until you see the channel name and he New/Next info and then use LEFT/RIGHT to select a BBC channel, then press ENTER).   Will it change channels to the BBC channel then... if not, try another change to a different channel.

Richard

Kraznet

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 06:08:06 pm »

Hi there ,

Thankyou for the welcome and thank you both for your replies. I tried turning off timeshifting mode but it made no difference. I have also tried your suggestion Richard but to no avail all that happens is I end up with a black screen with "waiting" underneath the station name.

There seems to be quite a lot of different settings in the Options. Under the video tab is a section called "Decoders, Renderers and more". I'm not sure quite what settings I should be using there or whether that is likely to make a difference. The current settings I'm using are:
JRiver TV (jtv) .
Playback Method : JRiver video engine (using direct show).
Source Filter : automatic other filters: Intervideo non-CSS video decoder for Hauppague.
Video renderer: automatic .
Are there any failsafe settings I can try?

As I mentioned I can get the three Sky channels and it says the  signal is 100% but all the other channels show the signal as 0%. Also if I'm viewing a Sky Channel and then double-click one of the other channels the audio for Sky gets stuck in a loop a bit like a sampler effect if you know what I mean. Also is there a way to preview the channels and keep the thumbnail video at the bottom left? At the moment whenever I change to a new channel it always opens full-screen.Anyway I'll keep experimenting .

Thanks for your help
Regards
Kraznet
Asus P7P55D | Intel i5 750 2.66ghz|4GB G-Skill DDR3 | 2 x 24" Samsung |ATI Radeon HD 4500 PCI-E |Windows  XP Pro sp3 | RME Multiface | Hauppague Win TV HVR1300

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 06:24:10 pm »

As I mentioned I can get the three Sky channels and it says the  signal is 100% but all the other channels show the signal as 0%.
If you're getting some channels well, and not getting others, it's probably just the frequency that is wrong.  I would not change any video settings (yet).

What is the input?  Cable?  Antenna?

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 06:46:39 pm »

Have you tried any other playback software to confirm you can get BBC etc with that tuner/source?

This software is very basic, but it might help isolate where the problem is... http://forums.dvbowners.com/index.php?showtopic=3154

You will need to tell it your frequency and scan the channels and I'd say as I'm not sure it will have UK ones in there, but if this works then you need to confirm that the channels are set up the same in MC.

Richard

Kraznet

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 06:55:42 pm »

If you're getting some channels well, and not getting others, it's probably just the frequency that is wrong.  I would not change any video settings (yet).

What is the input?  Cable?  Antenna?
It's Antenna .

Kraznet

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 07:03:48 pm »

Have you tried any other playback software to confirm you can get BBC etc with that tuner/source?

This software is very basic, but it might help isolate where the problem is... http://forums.dvbowners.com/index.php?showtopic=3154

You will need to tell it your frequency and scan the channels and I'd say as I'm not sure it will have UK ones in there, but if this works then you need to confirm that the channels are set up the same in MC.

Richard

I'm using the Hauppauge Win TV application and all the channels are working fine. I just thought it would be nice to have TV working from within MC15 . One thing about using the Hauppauge Win TV application is when you do a scan you choose the region as well . In my case it's Crystal Palace which where the signal is coming from for my London area. Whereas in MC 15 you only have the option of United Kingdom. I'm not sure if that has any influence on the problem.

Kraznet

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 09:37:04 pm »

Hmm, well check the MC channel settings (freq, pid etc) against the other app and see if there are any differences.

Also, try scheduling a recording in MC to see if it records it.

If it can record then see if you can play that recording back.

What OS are you running on?

Richard

Kraznet

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 07:08:56 am »

Thanks I'll try that . I'm on XP pro sp3 .

Cheers
Kraznet

Kraznet

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 07:31:45 am »

OK I'm getting somewhere :) It looks like the Frequency for BBC 1 was wrong . I checked it against the Hauppague list it was 505833 rather than 506000 also the id was different 12293 rather than 9018 . So BBC 1 is working now . So I guess I will have edit the other as well . Thanks for you help .

Regards
Kraznet

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 07:32:37 am »

OK I'm getting somewhere :) It looks like the Frequency for BBC 1 was wrong . I checked it against the Hauppague list it was 505833 rather than 506000 also the id was different 12293 rather than 9018 . So BBC 1 is working now . So I guess I will have edit the other as well . Thanks for you help .

Regards
Kraznet
When you're done, please post what works.  Thanks.

Kraznet

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 07:50:52 am »

Hi Jim ,
Yes I will np . It may take while re-tuning all the channels though . MC15 is much nicer than the Hauppague software and much better than Windows Media Centre on Windows 7.

Cheers
Kraznet
Pages: [1]   Go Up