INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie Data From Wikipedia  (Read 3584 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Movie Data From Wikipedia
« on: May 31, 2010, 10:14:31 am »

I've been a little slow on the uptake here lately (slacking hard on my tagging responsibilities, basically), but I had the chance this weekend to play with the new feature that grabs movie info from Wikipedia.

Wow.  I just want to give you guys a "hell yeah"!!  Job extremely well done.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

lise

• MC Beta Team
Re: Movie Data From Wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 08:40:50 am »

Cool. I didn't know that existed.
Is there any way I can force that option to display for iso or mds files that I've had to associate as "data" files?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 10:18:10 am »

i didnt know it exsisted either... where is this option?
thanks

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:29:59 am »

Right-click on a relevant video file like mpg
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 10:41:55 am »

got it, thanx

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 10:44:12 am »

What a great little feature!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 10:48:16 am »

Is there any way I can force that option to display for iso or mds files that I've had to associate as "data" files?

We recommend setting your video files to 'Video'.  You can still configure playback to use an external playback system in Options > File Types.

If you'd like to discuss more, please start a thread.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 11:42:39 am »

Wow!  This is pretty neat.  Thanks for the great feature!

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 11:47:56 am »

We recommend setting your video files to 'Video'.  You can still configure playback to use an external playback system in Options > File Types.

If you'd like to discuss more, please start a thread.

Done. See this thread

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 01:18:56 pm »

Thanks very much for the feature, guys. I now use it a lot until I have time to set up PVDImport again.
There are some improvements it could use, though:
It would be great if it could be extended to a selection of multiple items in one of two ways:

1a) I have used this feature for TV shows. In this case I'd like the info to be repeated for each episode. Usually the wikipedia entry is for the show in general, so it would be great if we could have metadata for a TV series/show (or even each season) as well as for each individual file.

1b) Sometimes, I have multiple versions of movies, with different resolutions or audio codecs. I'd like to be able to select them all and tag them with the Wiki data in one shot.

2) I'd like to be able to select a bunch of movies and hit the lookup for them all. While I sort through the first search, the PC could be preparing the subsequent searches. It often takes some refining the search or selecting through the returned results to get the desired entry; this time could be used for the other items selected initially. It would sure beat having to right click and select lookup info from wikiepedia repeatedly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 02:17:29 pm »

I agree. It would be nice if this behaved a bit differently for files tagged with [Media Sub Type] = TV Show.  It would be sweet if you could select multiple TV show files, right click, choose "Get Info from Wikipedia" and then have it apply all of the metadata based on the [Series] and [Season] tags, rather than the [Name] tag.  That way, all you'd need to do would be to apply the [Series] and [Media Sub Type] tags manually, and Wikipedia could auto-fill the rest on command.

But even without further enhancements, this is still REALLY cool for movies.

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 03:57:09 am »

How is this compared to the Movie metadata Plugins available? I have not had the chance to set up the Plugins yet, but I'm pretty pleased with the Wiki function so far.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 05:58:01 am »

This thing Rocks! however i still prefer pvdimport over it for now, because it lacks Genre(s) and IMDb Rating fields support as well as auto renaming of video files, which is a deal breaker for my setup!

I'm looking forward to improvements on this feature :)

rick.ca

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 04:13:32 pm »

How is this compared to the Movie metadata Plugins available? I have not had the chance to set up the Plugins yet, but I'm pretty pleased with the Wiki function so far.

You might think of this feature and Personal Video Database/PvdImport as being on opposite ends of a spectrum of possibilities. This is great if you have nothing and just want to add a predetermined set of meta data to videos—one-at-a-time. And Wikipedia is surprisingly good source, considering it doesn't specialize in video (like many other sites do).

On the other hand, a serious collector of movie information will prefer using PVD. It's a powerful database that facilitates the gathering of data (including images) from a variety of different sources, and provides complete control over the management of that data. "Management" includes the integrity and security of the information—an important consideration for collections of hundreds of movies with tens of thousands of properly related credits. PvdImport provides a painless method for the automatic import of some or all of that information to MC. And, because PVD is a complete solution, nothing needs to be done to the data once it's imported.

Other solutions fall in between, mainly in that they offer less choice in the source of information and, generally, in it's management. Those who are happy with the single source these typically provide, and don't like the idea of spending time managing the process in a separate application, are likely to prefer one of these solutions. If that makes sense, but you think you're type who might start wondering, "Where can I get a better poster, a professional review...," save yourself the grief and start with PVD.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 04:47:50 pm »

i never understood why pvd hasnt been incorporated into jriver? reasons?
ive played with it. and it works great just alot of setting up to do, and because its not incorporated into jriver ive personally switched to autometa, and now trying out the built in wikipedia.

rick.ca

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 05:19:01 pm »

i never understood why pvd hasnt been incorporated into jriver? reasons?

What do you mean by "incorporated into"? It seems to me that's been very effectively accomplished by PvdImport. Otherwise, PVD is freeware owned/written/maintained by someone completely independent of JRiver. If it were acquired by JRiver, somehow "incorporated into" MC and abandoned as a separate relational database application, I would be extremely upset. It's much more effective (for it's intended purpose) as it is.

As I indicated, if you're not interested in the more advanced capabilities of PVD, you'll probably be better off with with something like AutoMeta. Or the Wikipedia feature—if it's made more flexible and capable.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 05:23:05 pm »

incorporated meaning built into. but i understand what you mean. thanks for clarification.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 12:06:14 pm »

It seems pretty random what details are displayed when I hover the mouse over a thumbnail.

American Beauty = Rain Man
Airplane = Vegas Vacation
Crash, Natural Born Killers, Pulp Fiction and a dozen others = Planes Trains & Automobiles

As I'm writing this I did the info for Dawn of the Dead, now all the ones that were displaying Planes are now showing Dawn of the Dead, including Planes

Whats occurring?

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 12:25:51 pm »

It seems pretty random what details are displayed when I hover the mouse over a thumbnail
No one else seeing this?

audunth

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 06:11:01 pm »

It seems this feature only works with English Wikipedia. So if I look up info for a e.g. Swedish movie, nothing is found. Is it possible to make MC check the Country tag when looking up the movie and then search the right language Wikipedia?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2010, 06:51:32 pm »

No one else seeing this?

Not here.  Try a simple playlist set to List Style > Tiles.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 06:10:27 am »

Works great with tiles, must have been what it was designed for. But when viewing thumbnails, the tooltips that show the art and info when you hover the mouse over do not match the underlying movies in most cases.
I'm still the only one who sees this?

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 07:14:23 am »

I have no problem with the tooltips of thumbnailed video.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 03:58:50 pm »

I have no problem with the tooltips of thumbnailed video.

Nor here in Panes and Details mode or Tiles mode.  Are you in "Album Thumbnails" mode maybe?

Pages: [1]   Go Up