INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theatherview issues of MC wrongly recognizing resolution of TV after sleep  (Read 3016 times)

jkemers

• Recent member

Hi,

I have issues with MC wrongly recognizing resolution of TV after wake up from sleep, or switching off/on TV while MC is running in Theater view. It happens not each time, but I would say in 40% of cases. In result screen image is corrupt - I see like a smaller part of much larges screen that doesn't fit on TV. Then I need to switch MC to normal view and back to Theather view, to get it showing correct full screen on TV again.

I have made photos with Correct screen before sleep, and Currupted resultion after wake up. I have also similar issues, when I swich off & then on the TV, while MC is runing in Theather mode leading to other slightly different resolution error.

I run MC on A-Open mini PC with onboard Intel Mobile Intel 965 chipset graphics. W7 32bit and latest Intel GMA drivers are installed. TV is Pioneer PDP LX-6090H, connected via DVI-HDMI cable. I have same issues with MC final v14 release, and latest v15.

It is realy spoiling user experience, any ideas what is causing it, and how to fix it?
I would poste photos how it looks like, if I could.

BR, Janis

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Yes, this sounds like an HDMI handshake issue. Once you lose the signal due to sleep or turning a component on and off again, the HDMI components are not finding each other properly, or if they are, are not telling each other what resolution they should all be at. It's a QUITE common problem, and it really doesn't seem to be anything to do with MC; rather it depends on the combination of components you have - you'll find that other TVs may not do the same thing. Some "fixes" that you could try:

-Change input on the TV and try to come back to the original input to see if that works.

-Try a Gefen DVI Doctor type device which solves a lot of HDMI EDID and handshake issues.

-Try a different TV or AV receiver.

jkemers

• Recent member

Thanks, while I agree that HDMI has it's own bugs, I'm not sure if this is the problem here.

It's only MC Theatherview that get's the resolution completely worng aftre sleep or off/on of TV!
My Windows 7 or MC in Standart View has everything OK after sleep - never any problems with showing only small part of non existent screen after sleep.

I's sure this is Theatherview issue.

If anybody of MC team would be intersted in this issue, could send screenshots how Theatherview is currupt.

BR, Janis

ylaflamme

Re: Theatherview issues of MC wrongly recognizing resolution of TV after sleep
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:42:58 pm »

Same problem here. Windows 7 is in proper resolution, but I most get out and come back to the Theater View to get the proper resolution. Otherwise, it thinks it is somehow half the resolution and only the upper left part is visible.

Maybe the resolution was bad just after waking up, but the Theater View should be able to detect a change of resolution and refresh the view.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen

I've had a thread open about this for a while, but no apparent acceptance that it is a MC/Theater View issue.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62393.msg418528#msg418528

There is this comment in the release notes for the latest version of MC16

4. Fixed: In rare cases, the program could start maximized with only part of the window visible.

Don't know if it's related or not. I'm running that version now, but I've also got the thing from the other thread running. It's only been a couple of days, but I havn't seen the problem recur yet. But as you say, it only happens once in a while

Paul

MrHaugen

I've had the same problem for a long time now. It either happened with my new TV, with a new version of MC or the fact that I changed the Theater View skin. I did it all at about the same time. That's why I'm so vague. I can not be sure what is causing it unless I devote time that I don't have, for testing. I do not have a problem believing that this is a problem with HDMI and the components, but obviously Windows handles this perfectly fine, and there is only problem in theater mode of MC. So MC TV it have to have something to do with it, or...?

40% of the time the screen is reduced to about 1/4. Have to enter standard mode and then back to TV for it to work. It's quite the pain. At least now, that I'm trying to only use the Harmony 900 remote. Annoying when you have to bring in mice and other remotes to fix things like this.

I'll try to switch to Obsidian skin for a while to see if that does any difference. I'll update to the newest MC16 beta build.

- I may not always believe what I'm saying

ylaflamme

In  my case, I only upgraded J River Media Center. Maybe Windows updated my display driver behind the scenes, but I doubt that. It happens almost half or third of the times, so I can easily test a beta version or install a troubleshooting pogam to help the devloper.

DeVille

• Recent member

Same problem here. Extremely annoying, and certainly kills the WAF.

- Ulf

MrHaugen

It's not the skin. I've been using Obsidian for a long time.
I've updated to the newest beta now, and still no resizing bugs. I'll report in a few days when I've tested more startups from sleep.

MrHaugen

It's not something that have been fixed in later MC builds either. I've tried the latest MC16 beta, and the screen resolution is still messed up at times. Now I just have to figure out if its because I powered off or on the TV, HTPC og Reciever in any particular order. Perhaps I can prevent it. If not, I might be forced to buy a thingie that resolves the handshake issues.

If J River would have any idea of how to resolve this issue, I would be mighty great full though. Is there any way of detecting resume from sleep or hibernate, when in Theater View, and then forcing another handshake or something? Or perhaps just detecting resolution and applying it again?

nilbor

• Recent member

I have the same problem and is equally annoyed  :(

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I'm still wondering if it isn't a HDMI/DVI sync issue.  Have you guys with the problem tested with other 3D exclusive applications (like fullscreen 3D games)?  The assumption that it is "only Theater View" that does it, could be flawed if the issue impacts Direct3D applications, or other applications that use the GPU in more intense ways than Word and Firefox and VLC and other "regular" windowed applications do.

For the record, my system with an AMD Radeon HD 6870, a Denon AVR, and a Panasonic HDTV does not exhibit this problem, though I do keep hybrid sleep turned off on that system.  I have had problems with sync on the same system when it had a Radeon 48x0 GPU, and no AVR, but in those cases the display wouldn't wake back up at all (but I could VNC in and everything appeared fine).  This wasn't exclusive to MC, though.  I could avoid the problem if I keep hybrid sleep disabled in Windows (the problem would also go away if I used the VGA input on my TV, but that wasn't a good option).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrHaugen

I've been trying to turn on the devices in specific orders now, but I have not tested enough to give any conclusion. My theory is that the receiver or TV have to be powered on before the HTPC. That might be a load of bs though. I have not much clue as to how this HDMI stuff works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up