INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wierd Video Stutter After Pausing  (Read 1546 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Wierd Video Stutter After Pausing
« on: May 31, 2010, 11:33:36 pm »

I've started experiencing a strange stutter with video playback and I can't for the life of me find a way of fixing it!

All my TV recordings are TS or DVR-MS files stored on my local HDD.

I have both file types set to use;
Source Filter: Haali Media splitter
Filters: FFDSHOW Video/Audio
Renderer: EVR  

I also output the audio via Reclock (set in MC in the Video section).

Audio/video is via HDMI from a ATI HD4670

Now here is the problem;

Video playback works perfectly until I PAUSE playback for say 10 seconds or more, then when I restart playback after about 10 to 12 seconds I get a video stutter/breakup for a split second and then audio is out of sync with the video until I do a seek.

Initially I just thought it was just the specific file I was watching at fault but it's not as I  get the stutter/sync issue 10 to 12 seconds after I continue playback after a pause EVERY time in ANY of my recordings.

DVD Rips and AVI files are fine, it's just all my TV recordings, so it may be specific to my recordings, but I have no idea what or why it just started happening a few week ago.

I have uploaded a short 2 minute (89MB) sample recording here (it's from a PAL SD TV Channel);

Now to try to isolate the issue I have done all of the following, and none have made any difference;
- Uninstalled reclock
- Changed source filter to "Automatic" (MC then did not use Haali)
- Changed Video/Audio filters  (Tried vaious others)
- Moved source file from local HDD to my NAS
- Updated my ATI video/audio drivers from 10.3 to 10.5
- Updated DirectX
- Rolled MC back to V15.0.28
- Forced ATI GPU to not use powerplay (automatic speed control), so GPU is running at full speed 100% of the time.
- Stood on my head and even held my tounge differently!

So now I don't know what to try...

Anybody got any thoughts/ideas?

Cheers
Richard

raym

• MC Beta Team
Re: Wierd Video Stutter After Pausing
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 12:32:02 am »

Sounds like a VSYNC issue. I was getting this exact problem a few months back in another player but only with bluray. Reclock has the ability to resolve this under its Advanced settings tab. Give it a try (there's a bit of trial and error involved as it doesn't appear to be an exact science). Check the ReClock readme for more info.

It seems that certain codecs like Cyberlink and the native MS DTV/DVD ones have good in-built VSYNC correction. FFDShow, may not (in the case of MPEG2 content that is).
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 03:42:25 am »

Sounds like a VSYNC issue. I was getting this exact problem a few months back in another player but only with bluray. Reclock has the ability to resolve this under its Advanced settings tab. Give it a try (there's a bit of trial and error involved as it doesn't appear to be an exact science). Check the ReClock readme for more info.

It seems that certain codecs like Cyberlink and the native MS DTV/DVD ones have good in-built VSYNC correction. FFDShow, may not (in the case of MPEG2 content that is).

Thanks Ralf I'll take a look, although I would have thought if the VSync was out then I'd get stutters more than just after pausing.

R

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:13:44 am »

Well I can now add to the list he following;

- tried with Haali Renderer
- tried EVR, Haali, VMR9 and VMR7 with Vsync enbaled in Reclock (at various levels)
- Run Memtest for 4 hours to check RAM.

And still it happens!

This only happens after I resume playback from a PAUSE.  I don't get a stutter when seeking or when starting playback.  Add it's not really a stutter either, it often looks like what you get when when a DTV signal gets some noise.. a pixelated frame or two and then back to normal.. just Audio gets out of sync.

Any other ideas folks?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 10:19:25 pm »

I had a play with the sample file:
1) It plays fine all the way through
2) If I pause it at 10sec then Play at around 25-30sec there are stutters etc as something is happening (??) - but mine stay in sync.

This behaviour was consistant on two different PC's with 2 different filter sets + I also saw it using WMP

The file is a TS file - may be worth converting to a PS file....
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up