INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows-Based Data Backup for Media Center 15  (Read 1071 times)

jsjanx

• Recent member
Windows-Based Data Backup for Media Center 15
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:14:53 pm »

This may be a naive question, but once I've gone to the trouble of getting "secure" rips for all of my CDs (I will probably have 1 TB of data when finished), when I transfer the data to backup drives, will the parity/error checks in Windows 7 ensure that when I copy files they will be exactly the same as the data I've ripped?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for handling large amounts of data?  It's been recommended that I get redundant backup with a RAID device, but not a NAS device because the second operating system (NAS) will potentially add jitter to the playback?

Thanks

rossp

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Windows-Based Data Backup for Media Center 15
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:51:35 am »

I have all my data stored on a NAS with raid 5 to allow for a disk failure. I do not see any jitter for music, images or video.
It all depends on the spec of NAS and your network speed/load. Most NAS's come with Gb interfaces and this will do the job nicely.

Ross

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:53:38 am »

This may be a naive question, but once I've gone to the trouble of getting "secure" rips for all of my CDs (I will probably have 1 TB of data when finished), when I transfer the data to backup drives, will the parity/error checks in Windows 7 ensure that when I copy files they will be exactly the same as the data I've ripped?

Only if all your hardware is working properly.  System memory problems could cause data corruption on file copies.  I've had this happen twice to me in the last five years with my home system.  I buy good memory and don't overclock the memory, so I guess it's just luck of the draw.

If you rip to APE, just run the files through an APE verify (monkeysaudio.com) after you copy them.

You could also use a tool like BeyondCompare to do a binary compare after the copy.

My advice is that doing memory tests once in a while is a good idea.  It's not a fun mess to clean up when you realize a stick of your memory went bad a while ago.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vincent Kars

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 02:27:55 pm »

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for handling large amounts of data?  It's been recommended that I get redundant backup with a RAID device, but not a NAS device because the second operating system (NAS) will potentially add jitter to the playback?

RAID comes in many flavors but the consumer in general uses raid 1, mirroring.
One disk is an exact copy of the other so if one fails you still have all of your data on the other drive.
This is an excellent way to protect you against losing your music collection due to hard disk failure but it won't protects you against dropping the unit (kids, cats, dogs, drunk), water, fire, theft.

It won't protect you against user errors like deleting the wrong files or applying the wrong tags. Sounds logical but I have the feeling that a lot of people think they are safe because they have a RAID system.

As far as user errors are concerned, the difference between RAID and a single HD is that with RAID all your user errors are stored redundant.

RAID is NOT a backup
Pages: [1]   Go Up